Big Tech Twits Get Dumber and Corrupter!

Zorral

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Starts off reasonable.. quickly goes downhill into insanity…

Whoah Careful now.

A Slur per the dictionary is an insinuation or allegation about someone that is likely to insult them or damage their reputation.

I forgive you though, we all make mistakes and we can all try to be better.

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

My wife is cis, my step-kids are cis, every other member of my very large family are (to the best of my knowledge) cis, almost all of my friends are cis. 99% of the world is cis. I'd bet that at least 99% of the people using cis in a way that people in this thread object to are also themselves cis. And this is a huge part of why the idea that its a slur is even more outlandish than the idea that TERF is. Almost no one actually holds a bias against cis people, and those that seem like they do from out of context arguments on the internet are actually just holding it against those people that are being "snow flakes" about the term.

Yes, there will be a handful of trans people that genuinely hate all cis people, but take one second to try and empathize. Look at the above ratio about me to the cis people in my life, and think about just how fucking horrifying a life someone has to have had, how many times they have been betrayed by the people they were meant to be able to trust, to arrive a point where they are alienated from literally almost everyone that should be in their life. Yeah, they're angry and taking it too far, but they're hurt and angry and utterly powerless. You don't need to fear them as a group, you also don't need to interact with them though - I can't handle that hurt and anger either. 

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

Almost no one actually holds a bias against cis people, and those that seem like they do from out of context arguments on the internet are actually just holding it against those people that are being "snow flakes" about the term.

Yeah 99% would respond immediately with mockery if say some progressive like Owen Benjamin said ‘snowflake’ is a slur and roll their eyes if someone said “well technically according to the dictionary if you use any word disparagingly it qualifies they can qualify as a slur.” And then just mock that person.

I do think besides the catharsis that comes with enraging people there is objective is to get people to scared of being seen a hypocrite by calling reactionary figures or groups names with negative connotations or using progressive terminology that offends the cultural right’s sensibilities

15 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65981876

Could the thread title be any more apt? Hoping for double knock out by ball kick. 

In case those outside the UK can't access, Musk and Zuck have agreed to a cage match.

You know this reminds me of when Trump appeared on wwe. He’s evil but it was fun.

18 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Sometimes it genuinely helps to recognize a troll as a troll and proceed accordingly.

18 hours ago, Week said:

Yes, reactionary trolls ("the other side") in this "debate" are not looking for a good faith debate. So, it is a great way to avoid wasting time.

Yeah, dismissing "the other side" as trolls from the get go is another great way to have a debate.

57 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Could the thread title be any more apt? Hoping for double knock out by ball kick. 

In case those outside the UK can't access, Musk and Zuck have agreed to a cage match.

I am going to repeat myself from US Politics. Reality is being written by an absolute fucking hack. Maybe the parent universe is also having a writers strike?

18 minutes ago, baxus said:

Yeah, dismissing "the other side" as trolls from the get go is another great way to have a debate.

If  other side is saying something comparable to-homophobe, heterosexual anti-Semite or white American are slurs how seriously do you think the average person should treat their point?

In my opinion in most cases making fun of them and laughing at them is enough.

Edited by Varysblackfyre321

Sure, if they're trolls, ignore them. That's it. Don't get into the argument only to call their arguments trivially stupid. That is just childish. Not to mention that you would actually be engaging them, which is exactly what you shouldn't do with trolls.

Also, imagine if "the other side" did the same to people who objected to someone saying some terms they are regularly using were offensive? "This side" would go apeshit. "This side" can't ask for a debate if they call "the other side"'s arguments trivially stupid whenever "the other side" objects to something. That's the point - you want debate, treat the side across the table with respect you'd like them to treat you with. If you dismiss "them" and call them trolls, then be ready to face the same at some point.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Maybe they could copy Gladiator, and release a tiger into the cage?

2 hours ago, baxus said:

Thanks! I thought so.

1 hour ago, baxus said:

Also, imagine if "the other side" did the same to people who objected to someone saying some terms they are regularly using were offensive?

Why would we need to imagine this?

The world is full of straight white people complaining that these days you can't use the n-word, the p-word, the f-word*, etc. and how unfair that is (they use it about themselves!), while also complaining about how they get labelled. 

*not that one, the one about gay people.

47 minutes ago, mormont said:

The world is full of straight white people complaining that these days you can't use the n-word, the p-word, the f-word*, etc. and how unfair that is (they use it about themselves!), while also complaining about how they get labelled. 

Sure there are. And if we complained about them using those words, and they said "you are trolls and your objections are trivially stupid" we'd all be in an uproar. I hope we at least agree on that one.

My objections in this thread were not about whether "cis" is a slur or not, they were about poor approach to debate.