Big Tech Twits Get Dumber and Corrupter!

Zorral

10 hours ago, polishgenius said:

It's not a rollout, it's a beta test. They have to limit users, so the system doesn't crash when things like this happen and everyone wants to move over before they're ready to take that load. Like you have to assume they're fucking fuming that twitter couldn't hang on a few more months before collapsing like today, but it'll do them no good if too many people join and they crash, either literally or, like, socially*.  

I'm not saying bluesky is gonna be the perfect answer to all social media's woes- as far as I can tell it's just aiming to be twitter again with some differing ideas on the underlying system but the same basic end product. But you're the second person today I've seen make that complaint and it's just not what's happening. 

*that might seem like an airy-fairy pretentious thing to say but there was a pretty literal display of it when it first really bumped in popularity in May, apparently. It didn't have the block function turned on but its userbase jumped hugely over a couple of days and immediately crossed some kind of arsehole threshold and started getting nasty, so they had to implement it overnight. 

Ah it’s still in the beta phase? I forgot that. I hope Joe Biden gets on it and starts posting memes jettisoning like trump did Twitter.

Mine was working this morning but it didn't take long to hit the rate limit. Just checked now and all I'm getting is "Cannot retrieve Tweets at this time. Please try again later".

Edited by Consigliere

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Guy who owns twitter that relies on advertising revenue tells people to stop using Twitter

He's just tweeting his stream of consciousness as he emerges from a 6 month trance on the floor of his office and decides to see if any of his children will talk to him.

I was talking to a friend last night as we're watching the tour de France and wondered how much it costs to run, so looked it up and the upper estimate from 2019 was $150m. It's a 3 week race involving 176 riders, dozens of support vehicles, very highly trained motorcyclists, camera operators, helicopters, flights between locations when it jumps across France etc.

And Elon could run 293 of them out of his own pocket and still be just short of spending as much as he did buying Twitter. The scope of wealth just defies the ability to genuinely comprehend. He could spend money on the most extravagant shit ever and never even notice that he's spending, but instead he's sleeping in his office running a company into the ground.

You have to admire his dedication. At least he is not whining about the obscene wealth of the super rich, he is actively fighting it. How else should he do that? Donations? Please! Him publicly burning 44bn US$ is the way to go. Him literally piling up that amount of cash and setting it ablaze manically laughing like a hyena couldn't have made a better case about the sickening distribution of wealth.

1 hour ago, Larry of the Lake said:

He also thinks that childless people shouldn't be able to participate in democracy. 

Let’s be honest—he only thinks white men with land should vote.

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

And Elon could run 293 of them out of his own pocket and still be just short of spending as much as he did buying Twitter. The scope of wealth just defies the ability to genuinely comprehend. He could spend money on the most extravagant shit ever and never even notice that he's spending, but instead he's sleeping in his office running a company into the ground.

Thankfully his greed conflicts his broader ideological goals sometimes.

9 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I thought he was a truly rare leader.

Quite a few people knew otherwise from the gitgo.

The longer these billionaire smartest kids in the room go on the more one has to see what they share with other infallible Great Leaders such as Napoleon.  How he managed to obscure/hide the utter debacle of planning and disaster he created for the army by his Alexander the Great footsteps into Egypt -- which he deserted to go home himself, leaving his troops to die of Bubonic plague, Turks and Mamluks, famine, etc. -- the more one has to wonder how in hell he got anybody to march to Moscow.  He even sounds like the dumpf and the muskey.  Particularly when sitting in with a band of experts on anything and him informing them over and over that he knows and they don't, and if he wasn't destined to be the greatest military conqueror in history after Alexander he'd be the greatest scientist.

Edited by Zorral

9 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I have a Twitter account that has never posted a single Tweet; I follow maybe 12 people and it only perpetuates because Chrome won't let me log out, and occasionally these forum links send me off-site to actual Twitter.

In the long run, I'm quite sad about Elon Musk's character arc. This is a nerdy forum and we all have read a ton of sci-fi. When this diamond-mine-financed dynamo had an electric car company, and was also pushing for off-world colonization, I thought he was a truly rare leader. Erp, no, he's just another sociopathic self-aggrandizing lunatic, and has abandoned any forward-thinking societal change instead opting to crater a $50 billion dollar company and vastly influential online service, ruining hundreds of careers, because of an ongoing temper tantrum.

The world of technology business is full of people who have incredible edge in one particular domain, but otherwise shouldn't be allowed out in public without a minder.

Example:  Around the year 1999 I sat in a Patent Committee meeting where the inventors of the semiconductor functions that permits your cell phone to know its own geospatial location and direction of motion via vibration and inertial change, and the process to manufacture such a device, presented their ideas.  One guy was German, and the other was Taiwanese.  I didn't understand much of anything that they discussed because I don't have the scientific knowledge and their respective accents added a layer of complexity to comprehension.  But it was clearly an important and valuable group of innovations, and it led to several patents.

Unfortunately during the presentation the two of them a.) almost came to blows with each other over some technical difference of opinion, and b.) failed to eat slices of pizza without help and guidance from other folks in the room.  In short, it was exactly the most Motorola moment of all possible moments, but it also highlighted to me that the brilliant are not always equally gifted in all facets of life.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

b.) failed to eat slices of pizza without help and guidance from other folks in the room.  In short, it was exactly the most Motorola moment of all possible moments, but it also highlighted to me that the brilliant are not always equally gifted in all facets of life.

I've used this example a lot, but there was a player in the MLB who admitted to not knowing how to slice bread. Other athletes have given similar examples. This isn't unique to the tech world, people who are hyper focused on mastering one skill tend to suck at most other things. Rare is it you find someone who is just good at everything and is also pretty grounded emotionally. 

And it doesn't even need to be things that are vastly different. Belichick is the greatest NFL coach ever and a shitty GM who sucks at scouting players. One of the key features of being a dynamic leader is the ability to admit to yourself you don't know something and then finding someone who is better at it than you. The need to control everything and have it exactly your way is typically where most downfalls begin and basically every article I've read about Elon and Twitter say he's doing just that.