Orphan Black: Echoes

SpaceChampion

The spin-off show for Orphan Black, called Orphan Black: Echoes wrapped filming in mid January, and is suppose to premiere some time this year on AMC.  One site said March but obviously that didn't happen.

I found it interesting the only character listed for multiple episodes but not named on the IMDB page is one of its main stars, Keeley Hawes.   Fans think she's the right age to play a grown-up Kira.  It wouldn't be surprising if Kira followed in the footsteps of her aunts Cosima and Delphine to become a scientist, as Hawes' character is said to be.

There has been a smattering of articles published recently after nearly a year of radio silence regarding the series.

This has some photos: https://collider.com/orphan-black-echoes-images-krysten-ritter/

This has an interview with original series co-creator, director and exec producer John Fawcett: https://screenrant.com/orphan-black-echoes-show-spinoff-comparison-john-fawcett/

The spin-off is a very different show. If you go with the expectation that you're going to see Orphan Black, you're going to probably be disappointed. It's got its own feel, it's got its own identity. What makes it Orphan Black, there's a bit of a slow burn to it. I think it'll be exciting for fans to discover.

No one can do better than Tatiana [Maslany]. You're setting the bar very high. When we were talking about what the spin-off would be, it was like, well, let's come up with a concept that works in the Orphan Black world but isn't necessarily just an Orphan Black – a clone of Orphan Black, so to speak.

Killjoys actor Jaeden Noel is being credited as playing a character named Lucas Manning, which could indicate a possible connection to Maslany’s main clone character Sarah Manning.

Did Kira eventually get a little brother?  The actor is 21, the show is set in 2052 so a birthdate for the character of around 2031 is likely.

Kira was born in 2005, making her 47 in 2052 -- which is the exact age of the actress Keeley Hawes.

No idea on release date, but i think it might be announced soon. 

Here's the final image of the title credits sequence:

"It was a project that was going to happen with or without me. Either I contribute and be a part of it or I let it go. There were some ideas for what the spin-off was going to be that I thought were really cool. And I thought, why not?

Edited by SpaceChampion

I enjoyed the original show so will give this a whirl, and Krysten Ritter and Keeley Hawes are excellent actresses. However, the original show really thrived because of Tatiana Maslany's amazing performances and the undercurrent of humour that ran through it (Donnie and Alison's suburban crimelord plot was probably the highlight). The actual plot was only okay at best (though it was better on a binge rewatch and you can easily keep the different factions straight).

So I think this show could be promising. The real question is that if it's set 40 years after the OG show, so presumably no Clone Club or if they do appear it'll be with different actors, so what's the point of making it an OB show? A direct spin off following say Felix tracking down other clones in other parts of the world (with perhaps rare cameos by Maslany) would be more appealing to OG OB fans.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

So I think this show could be promising. The real question is that if it's set 40 years after the OG show, so presumably no Clone Club or if they do appear it'll be with different actors, so what's the point of making it an OB show? A direct spin off following say Felix tracking down other clones in other parts of the world (with perhaps rare cameos by Maslany) would be more appealing to OG OB fans.

The point was always using the show to question the nature and ethics of the science.  Having another crack at transhumanism seems worthwhile, especially with all the scrutiny that "longtermism" and "Ethical Altruism" is receiving now.  Advancing the timeline 40 years seems worthwhile to question a lot of things that might be coming, and the consequences of corporate or government control of these things.

There are worthy extensions to the series on audiobook written by a stable of great sci-fi writers covering Clone Club the previous cast, with an adult Kira and Charlotte, new clones, and the big public reveal to the world that the clones existed.  The other clones don't need to be tracked down, they know who they are now.  I don't know if the new series will incorporate that, but I don't see why not.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...