Football: Squeaky Bum Time

polishgenius

1 minute ago, The Sunland Lord said:

How so?

I believe.:P

City is a terrifying rival but I simply do not trust their legs under pressure.

And I'm seeing Milan more solid in the competition than either Inter or Benfica.

Edited by frenin

The Haaland factor could propel Man City to the final (and title) this time. It's usually been a case of stage fright in front of goal that has undone City in the knockout stages but Haaland is an absolutely ruthless finisher. Last season, City battered Real Madrid in the 1st leg and should have been out of sight by half-time but fluffed so many great chances. Obviously I'm hoping that Bayern can pull off a miracle comeback but they haven't been all that good this season and I don't see them being able to keep a clean sheet.

Nah, Bayern are out.

I could see them mount a 1-2 goal comeback. But three goals without conceding is too much. There's a rumour out there, that Bayern could try to offload Mane after one season. I doubt it, but thought I'd share it anyway.

I think Bayern are in for another spanking. Bayern dismissed Nagelsmann (mainly) over the inconsistent performances. Yet, Bayern was still in contention for all three trophies, when he left. Tuchel on the other hand could be the first Bayern coach in decade, that finishes without any silverware. 

Bayern journos are already arguing that Tuchel shouldn't be judged on the outcome of this season, but rather from what he does next season.

Imo they sacked Nagelsmann because they were afraid he'd bottle the league, and didn't see they could lose anything with Tuchel in their CL games that Nagelsmann already brought to the table, cause Tuchel won the CL recenty with Chelsea. 

In any case, they are lucky that Borussia Dortmund aren't taking their chances to overcome them, so at least they can expect to win the Bundesliga. It will remain unknown how Nagelsmann would've done vs City. I don't give them chances tonight tbh but you never know.

2 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Bayern journos are already arguing that Tuchel shouldn't be judged on the outcome of this season, but rather from what he does next season.

It would be funny if they don't win anything this season, cause when Pochettino replaced Tuchel in PSG, they didn't even win the league and Poch took massive part of the blame. But PSG was second in the French league already when Tuchel was sacked, it was just that Poch never managed to regain the first place and win the league. 

On the other hand, Tuchel went to Chelsea, won them the CL, and brought them from 9th to 4th in the league. He deservedly took the credit. But right now it would be deserved if he took some responsibility for eventual Bayern failures to a degree the same way he was credited in the past. Though I think that responsibility shouldn't result in him being sacked at the end of this season. A coach must be given some time surely.

4 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

It would be funny if they don't win anything this season, cause when Pochettino replaced Tuchel in PSG, they didn't even win the league and Poch took massive part of the blame. But PSG was second in the French league already when Tuchel was sacked, it was just that Poch never managed to regain the first place and win the league. 

Neither Poch nor Tuchel were the real culprit. That was Leonardo. Tuchel said very early into that season, that PSG had lost depth (namely Choupo-Moting) and that it would be a difficult season. Then there were quite a few injuries/fitness issues and he was mainly busy trying to work around and played way more conservative than the higher ups liked.  PSG was trailing by one point, when he was dismissed around christmas. Like you said, Poch was unable to find that extra point somewhere. So Tuchel left PSG in a much better position, than he inherited at Chelsea, who were really just drifting at that point.

He deserves more blame for the situation at Chelsea. Potter received a lot of stick, while his problem with Chelsea were pretty much the same Tuchel had earlier in the season, with Chelsea being unable to score goals, and being rather dull and painful to watch.

Blaming him for Bayern's woes atm would also be a bit harsh, given that he has just been on the jobs for a couple of weeks, and their loss in the cup against Freiburg was kinda unlucky (Freiburg had like 3 shots on target in that game, one was a long range effort that Höler just hit perfectly, another one hit Musiala's arm and gave Freiburg that last minute penalty). It would just be incredibly funny, if the season really ended with them emptyhanded. Like I said, it''s been a decade since that happened, and  Nagelsmann left them with chances in all three competitions.

7 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Upamecano. 

Konate has spoken :P

When asked recently to compare Upamecano and his Liverpool teammate Virgil van Dijk, Konate was flummoxed as to how anyone could put the two names in the same sentence.

“What kind of question is that? You can’t compare the two. With Upamecano, we are in the same category even if he is a very high competitor. But Van Dijk, I put him on a different planet,” Konate told Eurosport (as captured by @iMiaSanMia).

Plainly wrong tho.

Maguire's problem is his lack of mobility. Upamecano's the occasional howler he has in his game. Other CBs had similar problems in their early 20s. 

My crackpot theory is, that has to do with his physical attributes. Because he is rather quick and strong, he got away with stupid decissions/not ideal positioning, because he could still fix it with his pace. That's something that he can learn/work on. 

And FWIW he is playing a pretty good season (much improved to his first year at Bayern). He was excellent in the previous rounds of the CL this year.  Bundesliga he also , played mostly well/solid. There were a handful of games, where he wasn't great (Gladbach, Union Köln Frankfurt, Hoffenheim) and one real stinker of a game (Leverkusen).

8 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Maguire's problem is his lack of mobility. Upamecano's the occasional howler he has in his game. Other CBs had similar problems in their early 20s. 

Lovren had those problems when he was 30.

Edited by baxus

6 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

My crackpot theory is, that has to do with his physical attributes. Because he is rather quick and strong, he got away with stupid decissions/not ideal positioning, because he could still fix it with his pace. That's something that he can learn/work on. 

Rio Ferdinand had this issue his whole career but the solution was playing his best years alongside Nemanja Vidic so he never really got burned for it like Upamecano here.