Football: Squeaky Bum Time

polishgenius

Well, now Sevilla are on course.

Talking about Maguire, I kinda wonder if you could recycle him as DM. His passing is okay, and his pace is less of an issue, when he has a defensive line behind him. His lack of pace is really killing him as CB in a team with a high defensive line. Either that, or he will have to find a Mourinho team that plays with sits deep.

not sure if I care a lot about that result.

( I mean we've had an embarassing performance tonight but the result was always a bit predictable after we bottled that two goal lead in a game we cruised. That's debatable but we kinda lived what Barca lived against us )

We're not in the same position than 16/17 when we needed to win the EL

of course, it's only true if we stay at 3rd. I guess reaching the FA cup final would be cool as well... :dunno:

There was a point I thought it'd be worth trying, but if it was at all plausible one of the managers in his time here would have tried it by now. The thing is I agree he'd have the positioning when the play is in front of him, the passing when involved with midfield, and support from the CBs would help him, all that is true. But a DM has to be able to receive passes from his CBs, which means they have to be able to turn on the ball. Maguire can't. 

Also: we badly missed not just Bruno's passing to punish Sevilla for their press, but his off-the-ball movement to offer an out-pass for players under pressure, something he's incredible at. 

Also also: Eriksen is a wonderful player when we have the ball, but when we don't he's fucking wank.

Maguire and De Gea are the weak links. De Gea's distribution and ability to play out from the back is among the worst, if not the worst, in the entire league. Maguire is a decent passer but is far too slow with his footwork, turning and changing direction which makes him a prime trigger for the opposition press. Sevilla targeted them both and pressed them into making mistakes. This doesn't bode well for the weekend. Brighton is a good pressing unit and I expect they will look to do the same thing - we are likely going to find ourselves in just as much trouble.

At least Maguire isn't first choice and we will probably offload him if we can. It doesn't look like we are prepared to offload De Gea though. With him in goal, we will never be able to properly build play from the back due to his atrocious passing and his unwillingness/inability to act as a sweeper.

Sancho was completely and utterly useless again. I don't understand how Pellistri cannot get a game here. He surely can't be more ineffective than Sancho. I criticise Antony a lot but even he has done more this season than Sancho has done in two years. Sancho has been among the most useless wingers in the league for two straight season but people keep making excuses for him and he somehow escapes the criticism he should be getting.

Lukaku's appeal against a one match ban has been rejected. Lukaku was given a second yellow after reacting to racial abuse he was getting from a section of the crowd during the Coppa Italia game against Juve. What he did, after scoring a 95th minute penalty, was close his eyes and put his fingers in his ears while celebrating. The referee deemed that to be 'provocative' and gave him a second yellow.

ETA. Juve did identify the racist cunts and banned them from their stadium but those idiots have not received any sanction from the police, government or football federation so they are free to enter any other stadium.

Congratulations to the Italian football federation for once again siding with the racist cunts.

And that's why you shouldn't get your hopes up. Just expect a derby loss, and essentially give up any hope whatsoever to get into the promotion race, and just accept that mordor wins promotion. It was so predictable, and that makes it somehow even more annoying.

Archived