If Tyrion had sent Ice back to Robb with Ned's bones before Tywin could get his hands on it...

... what do you think would have happened to it?

I would hope that Robb would have had the good sense to leave the sword at Riverrun, or send it north with Hallis Mollen. But my fear is that Robb would have taken it with him to the Twins, and then House Frey would have claimed it for their own.

3 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

... what do you think would have happened to it?

I would hope that Robb would have had the good sense to leave the sword at Riverrun, or send it north with Hallis Mollen. But my fear is that Robb would have taken it with him to the Twins, and then House Frey would have claimed it for their own.

Yeah. Edwyn or more likely Black Walder. But just for now. I would have liked it... some way.
But it's better Brienne has (some) of it.

I would say that Ice would stay in Riverrun. Robb wouldn’t have used it in combat, nor would he risk losing it again when he went to battle. If anything, Brynden Tully would take charge of it in Robb’s name post-red wedding, and he’d also take it with him when he escaped Riverrun following the siege. 

As I recall Ice was nearly as big (tall?) as Robb so it is unlikely he would have attempted to use it in battle, though taking it along as a symbol isn't out of the question.  Still, Robb didn't seem to employ a lot of symbols.  He had Grey Wind and the northern lords and didn't seem to require a whole lot else to make his point.  No, I think he would have left Ice in a secure place, River Run or somewhere close he knew the family heirloom would have been safe.  

What may have been a bit ironic would have been to send Brienne with Cat and Ice back to Winterfell.  Wonder how that might have turned out? 

1 hour ago, Curled Finger said:

As I recall Ice was nearly as big (tall?) as Robb so it is unlikely he would have attempted to use it in battle, though taking it along as a symbol isn't out of the question.  Still, Robb didn't seem to employ a lot of symbols.  He had Grey Wind and the northern lords and didn't seem to require a whole lot else to make his point.  No, I think he would have left Ice in a secure place, River Run or somewhere close he knew the family heirloom would have been safe.  

What may have been a bit ironic would have been to send Brienne with Cat and Ice back to Winterfell.  Wonder how that might have turned out? 

To be fair, Robb was still growing when that observation was made. Later on in the story, Catelyn describes Robb as being 'tall', so we can assume that he's had a growth spurt since the start of AGOT. For all we know, he could have wielded Ice efficiently, especially from horseback.

28 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

To be fair, Robb was still growing when that observation was made. Later on in the story, Catelyn describes Robb as being 'tall', so we can assume that he's had a growth spurt since the start of AGOT. For all we know, he could have wielded Ice efficiently, especially from horseback.

Haha, right.  The fairer sex doesn't grow much after say 13-14.  You people keep growing forever.  My own boy shot up nearly 6" in a single year.  

The RL we are shown in the books makes the bones/sword getting to where it’s sent anything but guaranteed. 

IF it did I’m less interested in where it is stored, and more in what if any effect that has on negotiations, the overall conflict itself, etc. It would come too late to get in the way of Robb being crowned, but it’s just possible it either provides some ground for a different peace and/or causes a public division in House Lannister.

One last effect/tangent: if a Lannister delegation bringing Ned’s bones actually gets through, I almost cannot envision Tywin not trying to use that type of thing later to get in a sneak attack or assassination, in the vein of Hardrada/de Hauteville legendary ‘funeral’ tricks. It’s actually one of those historical legends that fits so perfectly into ASOIAF I’m kinda surprised George hasn’t stolen it yet. 

Robb seems to fight mostly from horseback, so a greatsword probably isn't a weapon he has much use for. But it is a symbol of the Stark dynasty. It's probably 50-50 whether he takes it to the Twins. 

Possibly he even "loans" it to someone so that it's not going to waste (the Smalljon, maybe). In which case it's at the Twins.

But, the "good" news, if it is at the Twins I think Roose would claim it, rather than Walder.

27 minutes ago, Alester Florent said:

Robb seems to fight mostly from horseback, so a greatsword probably isn't a weapon he has much use for. But it is a symbol of the Stark dynasty. It's probably 50-50 whether he takes it to the Twins. 

Possibly he even "loans" it to someone so that it's not going to waste (the Smalljon, maybe). In which case it's at the Twins.

But, the "good" news, if it is at the Twins I think Roose would claim it, rather than Walder.

Would Roose be able to claim it? I can easily see the Freys and Boltons arguing fiercely over who gets Ice. Only for Tywin to demand it from them as a spoil of war and also as a price for their pardons.

58 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

One last effect/tangent: if a Lannister delegation bringing Ned’s bones actually gets through, I almost cannot envision Tywin not trying to use that type of thing later to get in a sneak attack or assassination, in the vein of Hardrada/de Hauteville legendary ‘funeral’ tricks. It’s actually one of those historical legends that fits so perfectly into ASOIAF I’m kinda surprised George hasn’t stolen it yet. 

During the peace talks about Ned's bones and Ice and Sansa, Tyrion sent criminals to free Jaime and cause general mischief. It's not exactly the same but kinda similar 

24 minutes ago, James Steller said:

Would Roose be able to claim it? I can easily see the Freys and Boltons arguing fiercely over who gets Ice. Only for Tywin to demand it from them as a spoil of war and also as a price for their pardons.

Roose is pretending he wasn't involved in the RW. He's not doing a good job at it, but walking around with Ice is, well, Icing on the cake 

Tywins dead like within the month, but I could definitely see Jaime in this situation demanding Ice along with the hostages.

If Robb has it, I see three scenarios (aside from Frey getting it) one, he uses the magic sword and deflects all crossbows bolts shot at him like a jedi and then with the greatsword swipes Walders whole extended family's neck in one stroke.

Two it goes to RR and then, Brynden uses the magic sword to, like, cleave all the bad guys? 

In all seriousness, both situations are fucked. Fish swim, but not with Greatswords on their back.

Third is interesting. We're talking acok times. Robb gets the cumbersome object, and aside for the pleasantry of Karstarks last moment, decides to send it back home. He would bring a small squad to head north, perhaps just in time, to kick Theons ass.

It gets lost in the Neck, along with Ned's bones and Robb's will.

In 13 years, TWOW is published and we see ZombieKingJon riding his 12-foot direwolf wielding Longclaw, flanked by his homie Wun Wun with Ice, screaming "wun wo der argh wo" in the Old Tongue (which roughly translates to "come get some, hoez"), and the collective armies of the Lannisters die from instant fucking dysentary seeing the true power of the north bearing down upon them.

Archived