Star Wars: The Wrong Trousers

polishgenius

I'm surprised that no one appreciated the subversive nature of the last Mando episode.  It seemed pretty evident that Favreau was giving a veiled criticism of his boss, Disney.  

They fly to a planet with a giant domed structure vaguely resembling EPCOT, and they travel on a monorail.  It was clearly meant to be Disney World.

While they arrive to try and meet with Bo Katan's previous Mandalorian cult to continue the plot, their ship gets hijaked by Disney and they are forced into a pointless member-berry episode, while the Disney execs play with baby Grogu.

And to top it off, one of the characters goes into a political rant, and then gets exiled from Disney.

25 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

I'm surprised that no one appreciated the subversive nature of the last Mando episode.  It seemed pretty evident that Favreau was giving a veiled criticism of his boss, Disney.  

They fly to a planet with a giant domed structure vaguely resembling EPCOT, and they travel on a monorail.  It was clearly meant to be Disney World.

While they arrive to try and meet with Bo Katan's previous Mandalorian cult to continue the plot, their ship gets hijaked by Disney and they are forced into a pointless member-berry episode, while the Disney execs play with baby Grogu.

And to top it off, one of the characters goes into a political rant, and then gets exiled from Disney.

Interesting read, but even if it's true does that really make it suddenly a good episode? Subtext is cool, but not at the expense of the ...text. 

Edit: It would be great if they return to that planet in seson four because Darth Santis is attacking it. 

Edited by RumHam

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Interesting read, but even if it's true does that really make it suddenly a good episode? Subtext is cool, but not at the expense of the ...text. 

I'm not saying I particularly enjoyed the episode, I'm just saying I appreciated the subversive aspect of it.  I probably wouldn't have minded it if it was in the first half of the season. 

4 hours ago, Ran said:

Aardman is a great get... but Cartoon Saloon too? Wow.

My mind is boggling pleasantly at the idea of a stop-motion Star Wars short. I'm interested o see whatever Aardman come up with.

Cartoon Saloon likewise. What will they focus on? The Sorgan Rising – doomed attempt to oust the Empire from the capital of Sorgan whose brutal suppression ultimately wins support for the rebels, though fourteen of the ringleaders are executed, only one of the main characters being spared due to his connections on Coruscant?  Plus a white cat guide through the spirit world of the Force? 

23 minutes ago, Frey family reunion said:

I'm not saying I particularly enjoyed the episode, I'm just saying I appreciated the subversive aspect of it.  I probably wouldn't have minded it if it was in the first half of the season. 

Yes, it could have worked well with Din's short quest of finding a droid that he could take to Mandalore.

On 4/10/2023 at 2:20 PM, polishgenius said:

Yes I have titled an entire topic based on Aardman doing one short story, and what

(I wonder which one of those shown is it)

It's the bit at 0.46, with the Wookie.

44 minutes ago, Werthead said:

It's the bit at 0.46, with the Wookie.

I confess I was being sarcastic. The Aardman and Cartoon Saloon parts were instantly recognisable to me (and anyone who isn't as excited for the Cartoon Saloon one as the Aardman one, go and watch Secret of Kells immediately). 

I am curious about the one that looks like it could be Studio Laika, since they're not involved. 

58 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I confess I was being sarcastic. The Aardman and Cartoon Saloon parts were instantly recognisable to me (and anyone who isn't as excited for the Cartoon Saloon one as the Aardman one, go and watch Secret of Kells immediately). 

I think they did The Breadwinner as well? That was an absolutely outstanding film, and far more tragic now then when it was released.

Edited by Werthead

I liked this episode, though it's kind of sad that the writers of this show are forced to try and make sense of the horrible writing of the sequels. Over all it was a lot of fun though.

Definitely a much better episode, though the show's patterns continue...

Spoiler

this time with Gideon once again escalating things and capturing a major character, as before.

I didn't see coming that Grogu's first words would sound like Taika Waititi. :P 

2 hours ago, sifth said:

I liked this episode, though it's kind of sad that the writers of this show are forced to try and make sense of the horrible writing of the sequels. Over all it was a lot of fun though.

Yes, but I liked the scenes that were basically setting up the planned Filoni movie.

6 hours ago, sifth said:

I'm not completely sure that this show is going to be the basis for the sequel trilogy.  I think it's going to reference and acknowledge the events that lead up to the sequel trilogy, but I think they are going to make these two franchises somewhat independent of each other.

I think this because

Spoiler

The reference to project Necromancer affirms that Gideon is not behind it but Daddy Hux is.  Project Necromancer is what ultimately brings back the Emperor.  Since we know that Snoke is tied into the Emperor's resurrection, then it's a safe guess that it will be Daddy Hux who creates Snoke, not Gideon.

So if that's true, then we still have to explain why there is a cloning subplot in this show.  I think that this is going to somewhat mirror the cloning stories told in the Dark Horse comics and the Heir to the Empire books.  But instead of Snoke, I think that Gideon will end up cloning:

Spoiler

Maul.  He's the only Sith that was tied up in the Mandlorian storyline in the Clone Wars.  He also is the inspiration behind the horned Mandalorian helmets worn by both the Armorer and Gideon.  Plus he's a cool Star Wars character that Filoni and Favreau would probably love to play with in their live action shows.  I'm going to be on the lookout for a Boba Fett cameo next week, where Boba Fett discovers that Imperials have been digging up graves in Tatooine.

Edited by Frey family reunion