Star Wars: The Wrong Trousers

polishgenius

Must say I so care not for their take on Thrawn and all that. They have a great story right there, and while Ahsoka and the Rebels gang will be good to see ... it is complete silliness to do this whole thing without the Skywalker-Solo clan.

It is like continuing TOS, having Khan show up ... and then have some red shirts and, perhaps, Chapel and Rand save the day. Doesn't have to be bad, but wouldn't be the thing you signed up for.

2 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

it is complete silliness to do this whole thing without the Skywalker-Solo clan.

Yeah.  Still, wouldn't be surprised if they have Luke show up Deus Ex Machina style again.

Especially since by the rules they set up Luke Skywalker is the rightful holder of the darksaber.

(Maul beat vizla, ahsoka beat maul but didn't kill him, obi-wan beat and killed maul, Vader beat obi-wan, Luke beat vader.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Yeah.  Still, wouldn't be surprised if they have Luke show up Deus Ex Machina style again.

Nah, it will be Ahsoka this time to tie it with her show. Or they could throw a curve ball and have it be Ezra, so they resolve Ezra's long disappearance right away like how they resolved Grogu's separation from Din in TBoBF, instead of allowing that plot some time to breathe and maybe develop into something worthwhile.

I’m looking forward to the show.  I think it will be fun in the way teenage me would have enjoyed Star Wars.

But man… with Ezra Bridger, Ashoka Tanno, Cal Kestis, Grogu, and who knows who else running around out there; it’s going to be very difficult to find a way to shoehorn this Filoniverse into setting up the save state of the galaxy just prior to the Sequel series.

30 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Nah, it will be Ahsoka this time to tie it with her show.

Oh, yeah, to be clear I wasn't talking about the third season finale on Wednesday morning.  I was talking about the ultimate resolution which presumably will be the movie Filoni is directing.  As for Wednesday, right, I expect either Ahsoka, Sabine, or maybe Ezra to show up for some reason in order to hype the former's show.

It's kind of strange how a lot of what happened in the final reminded me of stuff I've seen elsewhere. For example one scene reminded me of the "We Are Groot" scene in GotG, right down to the lighting and music. Heck the ending felt very similar to The Witcher 3 Blood and Wines ending; though not to the same extent as the former.

Okay finale, but nowhere near as grand as I think most people hoped for. If they wanted to end it here, they could. Din and Grogu continue adventuring on their own. (and cameo in other shows) This show is far more simplistic than most theories about it, and often too unpredictable to really attempt a good theory.

Spoiler

'Member in that episode where Visla's kid gets taken by the flying monster and they chase it only for all them to remain out of fuel. Well, I guess fuel was no longer a problem here.

So much for all the Armorer theories. Like I said, this show is simplistic.

I always had a problem with the Mandalorian aerial combat style. Those jetpacks were always too OP in the animated shows, and here we get a guy flying all the way to space, and then apparently still has enough fuel to escape the ship after. But I liked the aerial combat because it was in a more confined space.

Funny how the show remembered in the finale who the protagonists were, giving Din Djarin and Grogu the best action scenes, while Bo can't beat Gideon on her own and loses the Darksaber for good. (the episode's only shocking moment) And Din returning to bounty hunting means that he considers his vow to Bo-Katan fulfilled after declaring himself her servant just one episode before.

If there is a next season, I hope there is more focus on Grogu's development.

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

Wait, so that's the last episode of Season 3? I can finally watch it all in one go?

There will probably be a one off episode in Ashoka devoted to Din and Egg Grogu to fill in all the character development missing from season 3, so wait for season 3.5!

:P

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Okay finale, but nowhere near as grand as I think most people hoped for. If they wanted to end it here, they could. Din and Grogu continue adventuring on their own. (and cameo in other shows) This show is far more simplistic than most theories about it, and often too unpredictable to really attempt a good theory.

Reveal hidden contents

'Member in that episode where Visla's kid gets taken by the flying monster and they chase it only for all them to remain out of fuel. Well, I guess fuel was no longer a problem here.

So much for all the Armorer theories. Like I said, this show is simplistic.

I always had a problem with the Mandalorian aerial combat style. Those jetpacks were always too OP in the animated shows, and here we get a guy flying all the way to space, and then apparently still has enough fuel to escape the ship after. But I liked the aerial combat because it was in a more confined space.

Funny how the show remembered in the finale who the protagonists were, giving Din Djarin and Grogu the best action scenes, while Bo can't beat Gideon on her own and loses the Darksaber for good. (the episode's only shocking moment) And Din returning to bounty hunting means that he considers his vow to Bo-Katan fulfilled after declaring himself her servant just one episode before.

If there is a next season, I hope there is more focus on Grogu's development.

I really, really enjoyed watching the episode, and then when it was over, my reaction was, “huh, that’s it?”.  

Spoiler

Pros:

The action scenes were dynamic, some of the best action sequences I’ve ever seen in a Star Wars show or movie.

It got back to the heart of the series, which is the dynamic between Din and Grogu.  That seemed to be missing for most of this series.  The only other episode of this season that really captured it for me was the second episode.

They didn’t do anything stupid like kill off Din.  Which I was starting to get a little apprehensive that they might be considering.

Cons:

They really had Gideon go out with sputter not a bang.  His whole plan this entire time was to create a clone army of himself, and the whole plan got foiled by Din touching a single button?  Meh.

Their battle with Gideon at the end was fairly well done but ultimately pointless since he was about to be killed by an Imperial Cruiser regardless of what happened in the battle.

Nothing that was teased paid off.  A spy in the Mandalorian ranks?  Uh, I guess not.  Grogu’s special armor saving him at a crucial time?  Nope.  And basically IG-11 err 12 was basically about as useful as a pair of stilts.

Generally no interesting twists, like you said this show is fairly simplistic so maybe we just have to stop guessing about possible plot twists.

I’m not sure if this is a pro or a con, but I was expecting some sort of surprise cameo which we didn’t get.  Probably more of a pro than a con.  If you keep reaching into the hat for that trick it gets old.

Edited by Frey family reunion

1 hour ago, Frey family reunion said:

I really, really enjoyed watching the episode, and then when it was over, my reaction was, “huh, that’s it?”.  

Hide contents

Pros:

The action scenes were dynamic, some of the best action sequences I’ve ever seen in a Star Wars show or movie.

It got back to the heart of the series, which is the dynamic between Din and Grogu.  That seemed to be missing for most of this series.  The only other episode of this season that really captured it for me was the second episode.

They didn’t do anything stupid like kill off Din.  Which I was starting to get a little apprehensive that they might be considering.

Cons:

They really had Gideon go out with sputter not a bang.  His whole plan this entire time was to create a clone army of himself, and the whole plan got foiled by Din touching a single button?  Meh.

Their battle with Gideon at the end was fairly well done but ultimately pointless since he was about to be killed by an Imperial Cruiser regardless of what happened in the battle.

Nothing that was teased paid off.  A spy in the Mandalorian ranks?  Uh, I guess not.  Grogu’s special armor saving him at a crucial time?  Nope.  And basically IG-11 err 12 was basically about as useful as a pair of stilts.

Generally no interesting twists, like you said this show is fairly simplistic so maybe we just have to stop guessing about possible plot twists.

I’m not sure if this is a pro or a con, but I was expecting some sort of surprise cameo which we didn’t get.  Probably more of a pro than a con.  If you keep reaching into the hat for that trick it gets old.

Also teased and not paid off

Spoiler

Grogu speaking with his own voice

More on the rushed/lazy writing of this episode

Spoiler

Gideon has been able to communicate with the outside from his base, despite the planet's magnetic interference. Many had speculated that the interference was maybe manufactured or that Gideon had a special comm system. None of this is addressed. If this show had been more like Andor, this is the only way Bo-Katan would have been able to warn her fleet instead of a guy flying with a jet pack all the way into space.

So the Mandalorians in space boarded the Gauntlets and came down, leaving the main cruiser as decoy for the TIE squadron. But every shot of the fleet included at least a couple of Gozanti cruisers. We even had an episode in season 2 that involved stealing such a cruiser and adding it to Bo's forces. Where did they go?

Edited by Corvinus85

I'm also very concerned about what happened to all those interceptors and bombers. They didn't all get destroyed, right? Are they just flying CAP over Mandalore and going to shoot down anything? Poor guys.

It is amazing how many flaws a well paced episode can hide.  Some of the other more ackwardly paced episodes made me also take notice of the bad writing.  This episode kept me grinning my way through it to the end, and only then did I start to pick the show apart and realize how flimsy and poorly written it was.  I guess credit has to go out to the director and editor, they outpaced the bad writing and plot holes.

Didn't like the episode, didn't like the season.

I admit the idea of Mando going back to his bounty hunter roots does have appeal though. I can imagine him sitting outside his cabin fishing between bounty hunting missions.