Star Wars: The Wrong Trousers

polishgenius

2 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

BUT HOW DOES IT FIT INTO THE TIMELINE??? AND ARE THEY CASUALTIES OF ANAKIN'S??? WHY AREN'T ANY OF THEM IN ANY OF THE OTHER POST ROTS STUFF??? THIS MAKES NO SENSE!!!!

Order 66

Jedi babies, they make their dreams come true! Jedi babies they’ll do the same for you!

31 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Order 66

This is possible.  But equally possible is that they each are individually swept up and hidden away, and worm their way into the hearts of their very own gruff but fair daddy/mommy bounty hunters.  Which will then (obvy) result in a Scum and Villainy Jedi Daycare spin-off.   Gonna be awesome to see Grogu rule the playground!

8 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Okay, Screecher's Reach - the Cartoon Saloon episode- is incredible. 

Visually, yes, without a doubt - although 'Sith' is the one thing I've watched in recent years that really made me wish I had a bigger TV. Simply amazing looking episode. So beautiful.

But Screecher's Reach does fall down a bit for me story-wise.

Spoiler

What's the message? Don't try to escape your shitty lives, peons, because you might shit on your friends, betray your ethics and wind up worse off?

Also, bit of a waste of Anjelica Huston.

I've watched up to episode 5 and can tell anyone who hasn't watched it yet, the Aardman episode is exactly what you would hope for. Perfect.

Spoiler

The miniature Death Star popping out of the wing. I LOLed.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

But Screecher's Reach does fall down a bit for me story-wise.

Reveal hidden contents

What's the message? Don't try to escape your shitty lives, peons, because you might shit on your friends, betray your ethics and wind up worse off?

Also, bit of a waste of Anjelica Huston.

I've watched up to episode 5 and can tell anyone who hasn't watched it yet, the Aardman episode is exactly what you would hope for. Perfect.

Reveal hidden contents

The miniature Death Star popping out of the wing. I LOLed.

Honestly, that's what I liked about it. There's a lot going on, thematically etc.

Spoiler

I don't think there's a straight-up message, or at least not a moral. I don't think it needs one. It's a subversion of that kind of story, but also many a Sith story begins with someone being used via their relatable fears or goals to lure them in. It's how they work. This one just did it better than, say, Anakin.

But there's also a layer in there, with the heavy religious iconography on the Sith and her communication device, contrasting to the straight lift of Celtic mythology for the banshee Screecher, about Catholicism in Ireland.

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Honestly, that's what I liked about it. There's a lot going on, thematically etc.

To be clear, I don't doubt that they were going for something other than what I said. But

Spoiler

the way it comes over, in the end, is very much as I described. Partly I think it's a function of the episode being so brief: all we really get about Daal is that she wants to escape her life, for good reasons, and she and Quinn agree that if she gets the chance she must take it, no matter what. For me, that's not really enough to make her choice at the end tragic in the way a seduced-by-the-Dark-Side story should be. The problem is doubled because Daal was tricked into killing the Screecher and didn't understand the nature of the pendant - which is designed to fool the viewer, too. So it becomes, not a seduced-by-the-Dark-Side story, but a careful-what-you-wish-for story. And since what Daal wished for was perfectly reasonable, that doesn't work, for me.

Difference of perspective, I suppose. Like I say, I wasn't looking for that kind of moral in it, so I didn't read it that way. 

Spoiler

If anything, it'd be more 'be careful of who offers what you wish for', which isn't the same thing.

Anyway, also now watched In the Stars and Journey to the Dark Head. Both incredibly pretty- there were some nice looking episodes in the first volume, but this one's really raising the bar so far. Also does seem to have a bit more variety in terms of theme and story. The first batch featured a lot of 'what if Jedi Ronin' stories, and other stories in kind of a vaccuum which didn't go too much beyond established SW myth and lore; the creators here seem to be a bit more comfortable laying their own ideas and concepts over the Star Wars mythos. 

That last may be a little unfair, in thinking about it: Star Wars of course robbed loads of its mythos and theming from Japanese myth, religion and stories in the first place (or at least, from Lucas' impressions thereof), which was why it made sense to look to Japanese storytellers for the first wave but might also be why Japanese stories placed into the SW universe feel like less of a departure from it than these ones, with a much more international spread of creators. 

Edited by polishgenius

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Difference of perspective, I suppose. Like I say, I wasn't looking for that kind of moral in it, so I didn't read it that way. 

A certain difference of perspective?!!! 

On 5/2/2023 at 11:46 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

BUT HOW DOES IT FIT INTO THE TIMELINE??? AND ARE THEY CASUALTIES OF ANAKIN'S??? WHY AREN'T ANY OF THEM IN ANY OF THE OTHER POST ROTS STUFF??? THIS MAKES NO SENSE!!!!

THIS IS NOT CANON RWAR RWAR *stupid fanboy throthing noises and the lot*

:)