Star Wars: The Wrong Trousers

polishgenius

4 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Didn’t Lucas try to get plenty of  other directors initially but couldn’t because he wasn’t part of the Directors Guild and they blocked him ?

Nah. He met with a lot of people, including Ron Howard, Robert Zemeckis, and Steven Spielberg among others, and Spielberg actually encouraged Lucas to direct it himself, since it was his project, his "baby" if you will, after all. Though there was apparently some weirdness as you suggested with the DGU around the opening crawl that I've never understood. 

12 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It was never meant to be a realistic world and in fact realism was the stated opposite of Lucas' aim when he made the first one.

Sometimes limitations and restrictions lead to better results, and we’ve seen what happens when Lucas is allowed to just follow his own path without any push back, and it’s not pretty.

Yes the OT had space wizards and silly looking aliens, but they were planted firmly in a world that felt real and lived in. The restriction of keeping these things as peripheral and pared back really helped Lucas. Even the Ewoks feel like they could exist.

Once everything got big and epic nothing felt anything more than a cartoon, so many steps away from reality that it lost meaning IMO

Yeah tbh I think we just have a fundamental disagreement about what it was that actually made the PT shit, which for me was the writing and execution of, like, the core stuff, not that the background was more full and weird. 

I mean, you're not wrong, you're perfectly entitled to see it that way, but I think there's a difference between that, a purely subjective take, and the pretty objectively horrendous writing, acting and racism. 

9 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah tbh I think we just have a fundamental disagreement about what it was that actually made the PT shit, which for me was the writing and execution of, like, the core stuff, not that the background was more full and weird. 

I mean, you're not wrong, you're perfectly entitled to see it that way, but I think there's a difference between that, a purely subjective take, and the pretty objectively horrendous writing, acting and racism. 

Well I’m not sure we disagree on what makes the PT shit. I agree, all those things are really bad.

My point is that IMO the elements that are held up as positives for the PT are actually really bad as well, so essentially the PT is entirely without value. 

I know the wild amount of CG sets from AotC onwards were something of a challenge to several actors (TPM by comparison, featured far more physical, real world sets), which didn't help matters either. Sure, the OT had the occasional wobbly CGI (notably the blue outlines on vehicles during the Battle of Hoth), but I know the "rubbery" CGI failed to work for many viewers in the PT, who found that, as still-emerging technology at the time, broke the immersion on several occasions. 

But hey, as always - de gustibus non est disputandum, y'know? Art speaks to you - it speaks to you. It don't, then it don't. 

42 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Once everything got big and epic nothing felt anything more than a cartoon, so many steps away from reality that it lost meaning IMO

I get what you mean. A feeling of something physical, tangible, real, lived-in. When that's gone, and the tech isn't able to accurately replicate it, and instead has that Uncanny Valley Effect instead, the brain doth disapprove. 

11 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Okay okay guys ,the only good star wars movies are A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back, everything else is dog shit, happy now ? 

Art =/= Science. What's enjoyable to you might not be enjoyable to others. And all films are interesting and quirkly in their own way, and merit examination by virtue of that alone. Thus, the old Latin phrase de gustibus non est disputandum. "On matters concerning taste, there is no disputing". 

Like, I enjoy Return of the Jedi the most, as it resonates the most with me, but others enjoy other films more. You can like whatever you like - just don't go telling people that what they like is "dog shit", as that's rude, poor social decorum, and shows a poor understanding of how to discuss or treat art. 

7 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

The worst thing about the sequels for me is the lack of credible world building and incoherent, rehashed storytelling that make all 3 come across as bad fan fiction along with force powers which break the SW rules of reality and appear video gamey. I enjoyed most of the actors and character moments but the script is the real letdown that makes these films unwatchable.

Yeah, I really struggle to see merit in movies whose best idea was retelling ANH with new characters and better visuals. And TLJ tried something and gets points for it, but it came at the expense of Luke as a character, which isn't exactly nothing.

The hard truth is that the "reappraisal" of the PT comes straight from the fact that the sequels' writing was so bad it made the PT look good in comparison. The only way to explain how such uninspired hogwash could ever have been greenlit was to assume the PT must have been quite decent after all... It was written as a trilogy at least, which suddenly seems a lot to ask for...

Edited by Rippounet

4 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Btw are you guys excited at all about the new trilogy centring around Rey , set 15 years later ? Will it be episodes X-XII officially ? 

It's not a trilogy - just a single movie. Three new moveis are in the pipeline, but they're all set during different eras. Mangold is doing a Dawn of the Jedi movie (roll the d20 on how often we'll hear the name 'Typhon'!), Filoni is doing a Mando movie, and Obaid-Chinoy is doing a Rey movie. io9 have a write-up about it on their site.

44 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Sigh…I was being sarcastic, it was in reference to the other guys not liking anything post empire. I like all 6 episodes. Not the Disney stuff, but I don’t think it’s dog shit

I'll be honest, I think it's a bit out of pocket to jump in demanding why anyone likes Rogue One or Andor when you think it's shit, then like a day later start getting sarky and implying everyone's a hater coz now we're discussing why we don't like the films you happen to like. 

9 minutes ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

Btw are you guys excited at all about the new trilogy centring around Rey , set 15 years later ? Will it be episodes X-XII officially ? 

If it turns out to be about the Yuuhzan Vong, I'll be interested in the film. If not, I'll consider it cheeky as hell to use the title New Jedi Order for it.

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

I'll be honest, I think it's a bit out of pocket

*raises hand*

Out of pocket as in "rude" or "inappropriate", yeah? (Just making sure - you're the first person I've ever seen use it in any way other than the more common financial "paying out of my own pocket" sense.)

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

If it turns out to be about the Yuuhzan Vong, I'll be interested in the film. If not, I'll consider it cheeky as hell to use the title New Jedi Order for it.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY. (I loved the NJO books. Even the so-so ones.)

5 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

*raises hand*

Out of pocket as in "rude" or "inappropriate", yeah? (Just making sure - you're the first person I've ever seen use it in any way other than the more common financial "paying out of my own pocket" sense.)

More or less.

I'm probably being a bit unfair tbh- it's a bit more like 'wild' or 'out of line' which is a bit stronger than that response really needed. But yeah you're on the right lines. 

2 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

More or less.

I'm probably being a bit unfair tbh- it's a bit more like 'wild' or 'out of line' which is a bit stronger than that response really needed. But yeah you're on the right lines. 

Cool, thank you! (I got to learn something new! w00t!)