Theory: The Others Need To Repair The Wall

The uplift of the Himalayan Plateau is thought to have been instrumental in bringing on the Ice ages because all silicate weathering reduces Co2 in the atmosphere and hence cools the planet. So the uplift created more silicate weathering, which lowered the greenhouse effect and hence - glaciation.  The Geological Society.

The Others are building an army of Wights in order to repair and possibly increase the height of the wall because the last summer has been so long and they fear the lengthening of summers in the future. They are reacting to climactic events that could threaten them. The idea that the Wall is meant to keep out the Others could be back-to-front. It could have been built as part of an ancient agreement with the the COTF and the First Men to give the Others their own land, a land of perpetual winter. The Wall is a cork that keeps in the cold or possibly decreases seasonal change. They may fear the fall of the wall more than anyone else as it could mean their destruction.

The Others began moving in the last few years of summer in AGOT (possibly at it's warmest), or the effects of them moving as far as the Night's Watch became aware, i.e. the Wildling attempts to get past the wall. They want the wall between them and the Other's.

The Wall could still be a magical barrier stopping the Others from passing but that doesn't mean that they can't effect the wall. It is after all a barrier of ice and they are creatures of ice. They could have a magical connection to the wall and might want to strengthen it, possibly make it higher. (Which in doing so could cause a long winter for everyone south)

George RR Martin is a writer that likes to subvert expectations. Just because we can see the Wall as a great Chekov's gun ready to come down at the right plot point doesn't mean he is going to use it in the way we expect.  His characters all have legitimate motivations according to their view points. The Others are moving for a legitimate reason and not because of bad guy plot economics.

I'm not sure if this theory has been put forward before, but it wouldn't surprise me if it had, so apologies in advance.

• 2 months later...

This is a theory that has some merit. How is a wall made of ice supposed to held back creatures using ice magic in the first place? Others Waymar encounted were bir on their way to the wall to discuss repairs and Waymar showed hostilty. Dead wildlings are fair game because they are occupiers, not living on their own side of the wall.

I like this theory, but if the Wall was so important to the Others, they should have had their people stationed by it for monitoring. I wouldn't trust potentially the only means of my people's survival to the southerners. Then again, maybe them not being near it was also part of the treaty for some reason. A lot to still unravel on that storyline.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/10/2023 at 5:32 PM, ThirdUnsulliedFromTheLeft said:

George RR Martin is a writer that likes to subvert expectations. Just because we can see the Wall as a great Chekov's gun ready to come down at the right plot point doesn't mean he is going to use it in the way we expect.

I agree that The Wall may likely have a purpose beyond its rather obvious name. As we get to the end of ADWD, Jon ventures underneath and finds a cavernous storeroom, hinting at the idea of a frozen receptacle, not just a barrier.

We often forget that about the wall's thickness, since its length is so immense. But its dimensions mean that it could also be a container for something of considerable proportions, frozen within just like the frozen food in the storeroom.