HBO Orders A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms: The Hedge Knight

Westeros

In a big presentation to announce their upcoming plans, including the launch of a new streaming service combining HBO MAX and Discovery+ called MAX, Warner Bros. Discovery announced that they had ordered A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms: The Hedge Knight straight to series (no pilot episode) with the following log-line describing the basic idea of the show, which is based on the Dunk & Egg novellas:

A century before the events of Game of Thrones,

two unlikely heroes wandered Westeros… a young, naïve but courageous knight, Ser Duncan the Tall, and his diminutive squire, Egg. Set in an age when the Targaryen line still holds the Iron Throne and the memory of the last dragon has not yet passed from living memory, great destinies, powerful foes, and dangerous exploits all await these improbable and incomparable friends.

Fans have long wanted to see Dunk & Egg brought to the screen, as they give a very unique look into the Seven Kingdoms and the Targaryens from the eyes of a man of low birth who rises to great fame over his lifetime. Notably, HBO has also shared details about the writers and executive producers for this series.

https://www.westeros.org/Graphics/Images/_medium/Martin_Knight7Kingdoms_title.jpg

read on >>>

View the full article

25 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

What a weird show title. It’s like they had two contenders and couldn’t choose between them.

Likelier is that it's a limited series and that if it's good they'll then do successive series. A KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS: THE SWORN SWORD, ditto: THE MYSTERY KNIGHT, ditto: THE VILLAGE HERO, ditto: SUMMERHALL, etc.

Edited by Ran

9 minutes ago, Ran said:

Likelier is that it's a limited series and that if it's good they'll then do successive series. A KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS: THE SWORN SWORD, ditto: THE MYSTERY KNIGHT, ditto: THE VILLAGE HERO, ditto: SUMMERHALL, etc.

That could be. They hadn’t specified that it was a miniseries, so I assumed it was a regular series.

When I first heard about the possibility of a DnE show (going back years now) my instinct was that it probably won’t be as big as GOT/HOTD because it lacks the spectacle, but that it could inspire a passionate fanbase and bring in new fans who weren’t interested in the original show.

That said, this news just leaves me feeling kind of deflated. We’re probably never going to get another book and that’s heartbreaking.

2 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

What a weird show title. It’s like they had two contenders and couldn’t choose between them.

Oh that's exactly what happened, as GRRM explained in his blog post back in March of 2022:

Contrary to what you may have read online, the show will not be called DUNK & EGG, which could be mistaken for a sitcom by viewers unfamiliar with the stories. We're leaning toward A KNIGHT OF THE SEVEN KINGDOMS for the series title, though THE HEDGE KNIGHT has its partisans as well.

Apparently they split the difference and decided to use the title of each novella as the byline for each season, after a colon. 

Question: I was under the impression that both the fourth and FIFTH novellas are nearly done, because Martin couldn't decide which to do first - indicating they're both near completion. We've got the She Wolves of Winterfell, and "The Village Hero" (in which we go to the Blackwoods and meet Egg's future wife). 

Exciting stuff, magnificent material.

I take issue with characterising Dunk as naive (though it might have come from GRRM), Dunk knows, he just doesn't want to know, he wants to believe the world better than it is and give it every chance to prove it.

Huh.  I wonder how they'll turn the Hedge Knight into at least 8 hours of TV.  There probably is around 2 hours of material in the story itself?  They could expand the scope of the series but part of the charm of the story is that it focuses on just 2 people and the big epic moments only slip in now and then.  Admittedly, not sure would a faithful rendition work (outside of a movie).  I am a little intrigued.

1 minute ago, LordImp said:

Why is the Hedge Knight a sub title? Are they planning on making more A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms series just with different knights?

I'm not sure what you mean but The Hedge Knight is the first story, so one would think what they're doing now is just the Hedge Knight material and if/when they do another series it'll be A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms: The Sworn Sword.

It seems HBO does make distinction between series order and limit series order: https://deadline.com/pilot/2020-hbo-pilots-series-orders/ https://deadline.com/pilot/2022-hbo-pilots-series-orders/ and this is announced as series.

I think maybe they want to adopt the way of the comic books, use THK I, II, II for the three stories, and save AKotSK for later stories.

And interesting to note HBO now usually do straight to series instead of pilot.

Edited by zionius

A thought occurs.... it might not be this way, but we can't rule it out either....what if they actually intend to do ALL THREE of the currently printed novellas as "Season 1", make it about 9 episodes long? And they're just collectively calling "it "The Hedge Knight"?

With 12 planned novellas in total, that would equal a 4 season TV show. Add in a few things that happened off-screen - I'm still surprised at the things that the second novella retroactively said happened in the gap since the first one. Like, you know, a DEVASTATING PLAGUE, plus Dunk & Egg visiting Maester Aemon in Oldtown, and their misadventures in Dorne with Mad Lady Vaith. 

....then again, Martin stated that Season 1 "is based on the first novella". Perhaps...he was speaking loosely? I don't know.

Wait, let's parse this out....as Zionius said, going by the graphic novel issues, a reasonably faithful adaptation of "The Hedge Knight" would take about 3 TV episodes to make, right?

Maybe "Season 1" will be rounded out with that other stuff - they're not beholden to 10 episodes.

So an episode on visiting Oldtown, another one on visiting Dorne, then an episode or TWO on the Great Spring Sickness (give or take) from the perspective of other characters....yeah I can see this filling the 6 to 7 episode region, maybe 8. They wouldn't be long episodes.

I'm not worried about "padding" Season 1. I'm worried about Season 2.

Edited by The Dragon Demands

I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of the title nor do I like the fact we're getting an adaptation of D & E when only three of the dozen or so stories planned have been released.

If GRRM were to finish She-Wolves and Village Hero beforehand it would be a bit more palatable but as is it leaves a mostly bitter taste in my mouth.

That being said, yeah, casting will be a nightmare. There can't be that many 6'11 16-18yos with good acting chops I imagine. And that's before you factor in Dunk dying at 66-68.

Out of curiosity, has GRRM ever shared what inspired him to write D & E?

Edited by The Grey Wolf Strikes Back

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I think Egg's casting should be fairly easy, but Dunk is more challenging because of the physical aspects. Are there any good actors out there that look no older than 18-20 years and are at least 6 foot 5 inches tall? 

Eh they’ll just cast a Scandinavian.

1 hour ago, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

Out of curiosity, has GRRM ever shared what inspired him to write D & E?

Robert Silverberg asked him to contribute a story to Legends, and "The Hedge Knight" is what he came up with.

As to Dunk, closest I've found is Jacob Elordi, who plays a teen on Euphoria and is 6'4". I suspect Dunk will be a relative unknown.

Edited by Ran