HBO Orders A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms: The Hedge Knight

Westeros

16 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I suppose they could change it on the show, but if GRRM writes about their adventure in Dorne, I don’t think we’ll be seeing Daenerys or the Martells. Egg mentions in TSS that the only highborn woman they met in Dorne was Lady Vaith.

I almost forgot that ... but that's not necessarily a deal breaker since a Water Gardens episode could be a solo adventure for Egg, while Dunk is passed out drunk in the shadow city or something along those lines. Even if Dunk eventually goes there to pick up Egg ... he could not realize that noblewomen were there because everybody was naked and/or things were very informal. Or Egg just meets him at the door and he doesn't meet a woman of note.

The whole thing could be a touching scene. Daenerys could have just received word about the death of Daeron II and Egg's cousins and this could be the moment where the boy drops the act and reveals himself to her. And then they talk about things.

George could write around that if he does this Dorne novella, indicating that Egg did something while separated from Dunk with the boy refusing to talk about it. And then, when Dunk learns about the royal deaths himself he would think Egg reacted strangely because he heard that earlier ... while getting back to Egg's solo adventure in a novella taking place later where Egg talks about what he did during those 1-2 days in Sunspear when he and Dunk were separated.

I think they’ll probably add in a few female characters, since it’s basically just Tanselle (maybe Shiera will show up in TSS). The easiest way to do this would be to have Egg’s sisters tag along to Ashford Meadow. I could see one being a perfect Targaryen princess (since audiences seem to love that) and the other being an Arya/Lyanna-esque tomboy who wants to joust with the boys. 

I think Shiera could be at Bloodraven's side at the end of TMK but I don't see where she would fit in TSS ... unless we have court scenes there.

That they could do ... or go with Jena Dondarrion and - for obvious reason and especially - the pregnant Kiera of Tyrosh, wife of Prince Valarr. It is ridiculous that she missed the grand entry of her husband. If they were to include Aerys and/or Rhaegel as I suggested earlier then their wives could be there, too. Prince Aelor could also be there as a squire to Valarr or Baelor ... and if he were there, they could also have his twin sister Aelora.

Realistically, a lot of noblewomen should be jonesing to marry one of the many eligible Targaryen princes. (As far as we know, the only one who’s betrothed to a sister is Egg). That could make for some fun comic relief. 

Not a bad idea ... both Daeron and Aerion should have some famgirls. Matarys, too, if they were to include him as well.

Edited by Lord Varys

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

I think Shiera could be at Bloodraven's side at the end of TMK but I don't see where she would fit in TSS ... unless we have court scenes there.

Yeah, I meant to say TMK. 

Side note, but I’m surprised they still haven’t officially confirmed Snow. 

12 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Yeah, I meant to say TMK.

Speaking of what you said earlier - I think Egg's sisters should be saved for later, especially if George does want to go with a Daella-Dunk romance which is going to provide the Dunk-Targaryen-Tarth link AFfC and TWoIaF hinted at.

Daella should then meet Dunk the way he thinks about that happening. And if Daella, the elder sister, isn't at Ashford then Rhae, the younger, also doesn't need to be there.

Something else worth noting: there’s still no indication that GRRM plans on extending the series beyond seven books. Assuming he really does have over a thousand pages of TWOW done, does he really think he can finish the story in just one more book? I have no idea how anyone could pull that off.

On 4/13/2023 at 9:04 PM, Ran said:

As to Dunk, closest I've found is Jacob Elordi, who plays a teen on Euphoria and is 6'4".

Complete coincidence, but was listening to The Rewatchables podcast on the film Indecent Proposal, and towards the end they played the game of "Who would you cast today?" and for Woody Harrelson the producer suggested Jacob Elordi in the Woody Harrelson role, to which Bill Simmons replied incredulously, "Jacob Elordi? He's like 7'2"."

Heh.

Edited by Ran

The problem with adding material to season one isn’t so much that it ruins a strong stopping point; if the end of THR is the end of episode 3 it’s an arc ending - not unlike what Andor is planning with its second season; miniarcs of three episodes (across 12 episodes).

So it’s possible they’ll round out the season by going to Oldtown then Dorne, then the outbreak of the Great Spring Sickness…and even earlier in the season, padding out with flashbacks to the First Blackfyre Rebellion.

But no…there is a potential problem with that - not the argument about a strong endpoint, but what would be left to do in Season Two?

All of these potential additions were technically introduced as flashbacks in the second novella, which is otherwise a relatively thin story even compared to the events of the first novella: “Dunk gets involved in a water dispute between minor lords during a drought”?

So maybe it’s better if all that gets saved for season 2?

6 episodes seems like the perfect length for the first short story. 

Curious what the casting will be like. Unlike the other two GOT projects, I think this relies more on getting the casting right than the other shows. 

On reflection, I wonder if 6 episodes might make it a bit difficult to get the pacing right 

Edited by Mowgli

23 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Since most of the Dornish characters have been either Indian or Hispanic, my thought was, “Who’s a well-known, middle-ages Hispanic actor that isn’t Pedro Pascal?” And then I immediately pictured Antonio Banderas as Baelor Breakspear :lmao:

The Dornish on GoT were various ethnicities from Hispanic to Indian to North African Arab, and that's even without the Sand Snakes.

But if you want Hispanic actors other than Pedro who are around Baelor Breakspear's age of 39 (rather than 62, like Banderas), off the top of my head: Oscar Isaac, Santiago Cabrera, Diego Luna,, Gabriel Garcia Bernal, Peter Gadiolt..

Edited by Annara Snow

On 4/20/2023 at 10:21 AM, Annara Snow said:

The Dornish on GoT were various ethnicities from Hispanic to Indian to North African Arab, and that's even without the Sand Snakes.

But if you want Hispanic actors other than Pedro who are around Baelor Breakspear's age of 39 (rather than 62, like Banderas), off the top of my head: Oscar Isaac, Santiago Cabrera, Diego Luna,, Gabriel Garcia Bernal, Peter Gadiolt..

He's Brazilian, but Rodrigo Santoro would be a great choice, too.

• 4 weeks later...

I was never a big fan of all the Bloodraven-is-behind-everything theories, but I'm coming around on the idea that he may have been behind Aerion's death--perhaps he planted some spies who encouraged Aerion to "prove he was a dragon" by drinking wildfire. We know that BR was Maekar's Hand and that he essentially put Egg on the throne. Assuming that Daeron died before his brother, then I could see BR thinking that arranging Aerion's death was for the "greater good" (and his own good, of course).