NFL Draft 2023: Little Black Books edition

Jace, Extat

2 hours ago, Mexal said:

Nah, they didn't load up. They made some smart signings (Nick Scott, Irv Smith Jr) and one out of left field big signing in Orlando Brown Jr. At the same time, they made some massive re-signings of both young linebackers in Germaine Pratt and Logan Wilson and added another year for Trey Hendrickson. And ultimately they'll extend Burrow. Is that enough to become a SB champ? Maybe.

The reality is the Bengals weren't that far off. They lost on a last second field goal after a stupid penalty (which after watching all of the dick sucking of Mahomes jump passing out of bounds, that penalty should be legal) with an OL that had lost their RT, RG and LT in each of the last 3 games of the season. Their OL will be better this year with Brown at LT and Williams at RT. Burrow, Chase and Higgins will have another year of development. Offensive scheme will evolve even further in the direction it changed to post week 5 and all of the coaching staff is the same, bringing a level of continuity to offense and defense which will be critical. 

The big question marks are two fold. 1) Can the Bengals find a running game in a predominantly shotgun offense? 2) Will the young kids on defense take a positive step in their development? If both of those things happen (the 2nd more likely than the first), Bengals will be a tough team to beat. I'm incredibly hopeful but I also know that the Chiefs, Bills, Ravens and Chargers have all improved with the Jets, Steelers, Browns and Jags chomping at our heals. The key will be keeping Burrow upright and healthy. If they do that, think we can and will beat just about everyone.

This is why coaching staff consistency matters for us and why Burrow, with an OL, will do some crazy things.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2023/8/22/23840809/cincinnati-bengals-joe-burrow-beating-two-high-new-offense

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Darnold beats out Lance for the Niner's back up job. Oof. 

What makes that trade up even worse is all the players taken directly after.

Pitts, Chase, Waddle, Surtain, Sewell, Parsons, Slater, Smith…

One stud after another at the top of that draft. 

55 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

What makes that trade up even worse is all the players taken directly after.

Pitts, Chase, Waddle, Surtain, Sewell, Parsons, Slater, Smith…

One stud after another at the top of that draft. 

Like I said, passing on Fields was the mistake, not taking the big swing. 

10 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Meh. I’m not sold on Fields. 

The Bears offense and overall coaching has been so bad. There's a real lack of talent too. I think he would have faired a lot better in San Fran. If nothing else he was going to be ready by at worst his second season. Lance was a mystery box with a ceiling that was basically the same as Fields with a much lower floor. 

36 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The Bears offense and overall coaching has been so bad. There's a real lack of talent too. I think he would have faired a lot better in San Fran. If nothing else he was going to be ready by at worst his second season. Lance was a mystery box with a ceiling that was basically the same as Fields with a much lower floor. 

All fair points. 

Edited by Nictarion

Has there ever been a QB taken as highly as Lance to fail out with fewer starts than him?  He started one game as a rookie.  Two games last season.  And now he's obviously on the way out of town if anyone can be tricked into it. (Calling Mike McDaniels...)

23 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Has there ever been a QB taken as highly as Lance to fail out with fewer starts than him?  He started one game as a rookie.  Two games last season.  And now he's obviously on the way out of town if anyone can be tricked into it. (Calling Mike McDaniels...)

For shits and giggles I tried google. It gave me Jack Campbell, Green Bay 1981. 6th over all and never made a start, was there 4 seasons, traded to Oakland and never started there either.

There hasn't been a precedent for Lance's failure with so little starts at least since I've been a fan (and taking qbs in the top 3 was a lot less common before 1995, so I doubt it happened before that).  There have been some second round guys that basically failed with no starts, and it's quite possible it happened for a later first round pick at some point.  But nothing like this in the top 3. 

Edited by Maithanet

Yeah I can't think of anyone in the modern era. First round picks that are pretty clearly bad from the jump tend to get a few seasons. I'd think there would be even more pressure to give him time considering what they gave up to take him. Maybe he just has shown nothing in practice, but in game Idk how you judge a QB with so few starts with one being a throwaway game, another played in horrible weather and the last he broke his foot/ankle early into it.

I think it would be smart for teams with uncertain QB futures to try and lowball them for him. Maybe a 4th will do it at this point. Perhaps even less. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

20 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah I can't think of anyone in the modern era. First round picks that are pretty clearly bad from the jump tend to get a few seasons. I'd think there would be even more pressure to give him time considering what they gave up to take him. Maybe he just has shown nothing in practice, but in game Idk how you judge a QB with so few starts with one being a throwaway game, another played in horrible weather and the last he broke his foot/ankle early into it.

I think it would be smart for teams with uncertain QB futures to try and lowball them for him. Maybe a 4th will do it at this point. Perhaps even less. 

Considering what happened to the 49ers last season I doubt they trade him.  If something happens to Purdy you want to have an option other than Darnold to be safe.

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

Considering what happened to the 49ers last season I doubt they trade him.  If something happens to Purdy you want to have an option other than Darnold to be safe.

Sure, but I think it makes more sense to bring in another QB with more experience. They still have a win now roster so a failing project QB seems like a risk even if he's your third option. 

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sure, but I think it makes more sense to bring in another QB with more experience. They still have a win now roster so a failing project QB seems like a risk even if he's your third option. 

Not if that means paying that QB and these three? Especially with the Bosa deal hanging in the wind. Of course some teams seem to be able to work magic with the cap.

They should just sign a third string quarterback who are is really good, no problem :rolleyes:

I don't think Wentz is looking for a third string spot or third string money - he probably thinks that he's better than Sam Darnold. Plus, Wentz was a terrible last year, so much so that Heineke was a dramatic improvement.  Other than Wentz, I don't know of anyone available other than the washed QBs who should stay retired (Ryan, Flacco).  Nick Foles maybe?  He has been terrible since 2019, but he was pretty good for about ten games in 2017, so maybe that's enough? 

On 8/15/2023 at 8:44 AM, Tywin et al. said:

It's pretty fucked up to sell this kind of lie and grift. Again with the assumption it's true. I had always heard the real life story was not what was in the movie (which I've never seen), but this makes the myth look horrible.

And poor Sandy B (okay I only say that because I've had a crush on that vampire since I was a kid).

The production company, Alcon , that made The Blind Side came out and said they paid roughly $767,000 to the reps for the Toughy's and Oher. After the reps take their cut the number matches what the Toughy's said, and it was split evenly amongst them and Oher.  Residuals since then were also paid evenly and even to Ohers childs trust, that the Toughy's set up when Oher stopped taking the checks a few years ago. 

Will see if there was any other money paid based on the movie but so far the accounting looks legit.

4 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

They should just sign a third string quarterback who are is really good, no problem :rolleyes:

I don't think Wentz is looking for a third string spot or third string money - he probably thinks that he's better than Sam Darnold. Plus, Wentz was a terrible last year, so much so that Heineke was a dramatic improvement.  Other than Wentz, I don't know of anyone available other than the washed QBs who should stay retired (Ryan, Flacco).  Nick Foles maybe?  He has been terrible since 2019, but he was pretty good for about ten games in 2017, so maybe that's enough? 

That's kind of my point, who else are you going to get so be third string, that doesn't know your offense and isn't going to get reps now that the preseason is over? Better to keep Trey and see what happens. Force feed him reps in practices with other third stringers so it doesn't affect the starters and try to salvage what you can.

4 minutes ago, dbunting said:

That's kind of my point, who else are you going to get so be third string, that doesn't know your offense and isn't going to get reps now that the preseason is over? Better to keep Trey and see what happens. Force feed him reps in practices with other third stringers so it doesn't affect the starters and try to salvage what you can.

"Wait... I think that's Tom Brady's music!"

35 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Not if that means paying that QB and these three? Especially with the Bosa deal hanging in the wind. Of course some teams seem to be able to work magic with the cap.

Trey is actually making more than probably every third string QB in the league and if he's been beaten out by a 7th round pick and a QB we all know sucks then what does that say about him? His value to the team right now is mainly random gadget plays and QB sneaks. 

24 minutes ago, dbunting said:

The production company, Alcon , that made The Blind Side came out and said they paid roughly $767,000 to the reps for the Toughy's and Oher. After the reps take their cut the number matches what the Toughy's said, and it was split evenly amongst them and Oher.  Residuals since then were also paid evenly and even to Ohers childs trust, that the Toughy's set up when Oher stopped taking the checks a few years ago. 

Will see if there was any other money paid based on the movie but so far the accounting looks legit.

They've profited massively from the success of the film through public speaking and general marketing while the whole time it was a lie. It wouldn't surprise me if Oher is downplaying how he benefited from the story, but it does seem clear that the Tuohys are full of shit and manipulated the story for their own gain. Oher hating the movie should have been the first sign.

Edited by Tywin et al.