WWWatching

TheLastWolf

5 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

That's crazy, I was like " Oh, surely they already made a The Flash" when you mentioned his The Flash-ness

But then I see there that they're still working on it. The Flash. 

Talk about a movie I wouldn't watch if I were starving to death in the Cloud Ark. 

21 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Jonathan Majors must be looking at this situation with some questions. 

Last I read Majors is still attached to the next few MCU movies he's scheduled to be in. The same playbook will happen, wait, fight the legal battle and claim he sought therapy.

Miller kept his job and status due to sunk costs. I heard one number that went as high as $500M for everything that went into producing The Flash movie plus they spent like a decade trying to get this project off the ground finally. Some things never change. The money always wins if people are still willing to pay.

Edited by Tywin et al.

Everything about Shonda Rhimes's Queen Charlotte was unexpected. Particularly so was its crack and sizzle as a prequel to the two Bridgerton seasons' froth, and yet is engages with serious matters. It really is about the madness of King George, and what it means to have a king who is mad, meaning for the people of the kingdom, as much as for the royal and noble circles.  It also explains the nature of how this particular woman became queen, and how the kingdom established its Great Experiment in desegregation and full integration of the aristo classes.

It is also, engagingly, about love and marriage, not romance and proposal and wedding -- The End. This is made possible by toggling back-and-forth between the 'now' of the Bridgerton world's Queen Charlotte, and the 'then' of Queen Charlotte. There are few bumps in that toggling for the viewer, which doesn't kick in until the 4th episode, a courageous, structural experiment itself, which time switches worked smoothly almost each time throughout the remaining episodes. 

The imagination employed is honestly impressive in its attempts to explain the establishment of this post-racial world of titles and ton in alternate Brit empire history-fantasy. It's so much more creative than most fantasy these days. Not saying it's actually plausible, but within the perimeters of the show's world building, it does work. More than that, it provides a firm foundation for the exploration of the theme of what it means to be in a marriage, to love and keep loving one's partner when the partner's flaws are exposed. sadly, as we all know in families where one of the members is chemically or physically dysfunctional, this can mean a neglect of the other members of the family, as all the resources go to keeping the afflicted member as balanced and comfortable as possible.  In exploring this theme, within the perimeters of a royal family, with all the resources at beck and call that most families do not have, Rhimes also then, makes something that can be witty, that can even have moments of delight and fun. The stunning, beautiful costumes, accessories, and cast do much to underpin this, providing, along with the balls, the froth, so to speak.

That Rhimes and her writers did this so very successfully, that as sad as so much of this is, it’s fun to watch, is never tedious, shows how brilliant Rhimes is. Alas, unlike Queen Charlotte, that there is so little  intelligent, creative, imaginative use of television in these ways.  Instead we get endless violent action as solutions to everything.  But here we have solutions to very great and meaningful problems, created out of intelligence, will and -- yes, true to romance, love. And this is how families that stay together successfully do manage -- through love.

I know they usually hand out Oscar’s for best performance in a good movie but surely if you can deliver a great performance in a bad movie then that has to be worth more!

Thats why I would have given best actor to Idris Elba for his great work in Beast, single handedly elevating what could have been a pretty bog standard ‘monster’ movie bordering on terrible, and making it actually quite good.

He dragged that script kicking and screaming from shitness, crying ‘ I will not Gerard Butler this!!’, refusing to allow the series of cliched moments to be bad, instead somehow putting in a performance that felt natural and real, like a human!

CGI lion should also get credit to be fair. 

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Thats why I would have given best actor to Idris Elba for his great work in Beast, single handedly elevating what could have been a pretty bog standard ‘monster’ movie bordering on terrible, and making it actually quite good.

The one awful daughter could probably both get a Razzie and Oscar nom. She was beyond terrible, but I think she probably did exactly what she was asked to do.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The one awful daughter could probably both get a Razzie and Oscar nom. She was beyond terrible, but I think she probably did exactly what she was asked to do.

I remember the reviews mentioning how bad she was before I watched it so I was prepared for it. I didn’t hate her all that much actually, there are plenty of other examples of annoying teens in other movies I could point to which are worse.

There is always room in these movies for one character that does inexplicably stupid things. 

Finished Shadow and Bone. This second season, especially its back half, felt rushed and a bit ham-handed, and I gather from Linda (who has read the books) that the departures are enormous. I wonder if I would have realized that on my own, because there are things referenced and seemingly thematically building that then just.... don't transpire.

Spoiler

I got the distinct sense that Mal and Alina living a life of obscurity together was the end goal, but then they went and turned Mal into the Dread Pirate Sturmhond and Alina is... about to become queen? _And_ still has her magic, sort of, which doesn't fit very well with Mal having lost his own magic.

The budgetary restrictions of the show also became more obvious, as talk of 1st Army this and 2nd Army that led to us seeing maybe 20 people on a side? 

Also, completely random hook-up introduced in the penultimate episode that felt like checking off quota requirements.

All that said, there are positives: I think Archie Renaux was quite good, Ben Barnes did well, Amita Suman and Freddy Carter managed real sparks, Patrick Gibson as Nikolai was amusing, etc. The costuming was good, the set design was good, the VFX was excellent and I still think wildly outdoes The Wheel of Time's first season (there was a section towards the end of the season where it made me think that capturing Bakker's magic-- particularly the Gnosis as its parabolas and other geometric figures -- would look quite nice on screen) in how often its used and how effectively. 

The last half of the final episode basically blatantly setting up everyone's story for the next season was clumsy, and worst of all, I get the sense that a next season is not guaranteed... and I'm not sure it should be. I think they bit off more than they could chew, shoving two novel series together. it worked well enough for the first season, but this season, less so.

11 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I remember the reviews mentioning how bad she was before I watched it so I was prepared for it. I didn’t hate her all that much actually, there are plenty of other examples of annoying teens in other movies I could point to which are worse.

There is always room in these movies for one character that does inexplicably stupid things. 

Idk, she was pretty awful, but that's what the writers and director must have wanted and in that sense she nail it. 

2 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I saw nothing that will leave any lasting effects and I’m not invested in the mythology

I mean, does Jurassic Park really count as a "mythology?"  I dunno, maybe it's my own bias, but the entire series is pretty much worthless other then the first one - and from what I can recall there doesn't seem to be much..connective tissue between the films other than just for the obvious cash grab.

7 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

One billion dollars. How?

The terrible Aladdin live action film made over $1B. Some of the movies that have are rather shocking. 

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

I mean, does Jurassic Park really count as a "mythology?"  I dunno, maybe it's my own bias, but the entire series is pretty much worthless other then the first one - and from what I can recall there doesn't seem to be much..connective tissue between the films other than just for the obvious cash grab.

I'll stand up for The Lost World even though it's got some dumb parts. What makes me laugh though is how excited my friends and I were for the third one. And then over the next few days after we all saw it we kinda had to agree that it was horrible. 

I guess the scene in the "bird cage" was decent?

30 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

That was a goddamn masterpiece compared to some that have breached that threshold. 

Fuck it. I’m going to watch the rest of Dominion.

I mean if you really hate yourself...

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Sneaking is weird in those movies. I'll never understand how the earth shaking t-rex sneaks up on them in the first movie. Indoors.

How did the Rex break the fence and walk to the cars, but then one car fell possibly hundreds of feet? 

How did Jackson's arm just fall on Durn?

How did Nedry not know how to get to the boat and why did he wait so long to try even though everyone was already long gone?

How did the Dilophosaurus get into his car?

Frankly how could any of Nedry's plans work? Even assuming he got off the island, the other company would have been sued and financially ruined and it would be pretty easy to prove.

And why would you only keep a skeleton crew on a remote island when the owner, his grandkids and the people that need to sign off on the island for legal reasons are there and it's like super important everything goes perfectly?

Jurassic Park has a number of these kinds of questions in it worth asking, but who cares? It's still an all-time great movie and looks better than a lot of the stuff made today. And the child in me still wants one of those Jeeps!!! 

Edited by Tywin et al.