WWWatching

TheLastWolf

I want one of the jeeps from the 2nd movie, which I also feel is underrated. 

On the spectrum of Sequel Better than Original (Aliens, Terminator 2) vs Lame Cash Grabs I think Jurassic Park 2 is the perfectly passable medium to the two extremes. Yes, it was made for money- is dumber 

Yes, it's a pretty good movie and people love it- is funner

Another one, and it's just the editing, but when Hammond is introduced his helicopter lands and they rush over to get them to shut the rotors off and the pilot points and Hammond is already in their trailer somehow.

It's really kinda a sloppy movie, I wonder if he was distracted by Schindlers List during editing.

19 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

I want one of the jeeps from the 2nd movie, which I also feel is underrated. 

On the spectrum of Sequel Better than Original (Aliens, Terminator 2) vs Lame Cash Grabs I think Jurassic Park 2 is the perfectly passable medium to the two extremes. Yes, it was made for money- is dumber 

Yes, it's a pretty good movie and people love it- is funner

I think it's scarier too. The scene with the raptors in the long grass was terrifying for me as a kid.

Also, the jeeps in The Lost World seem impractical. But I am curious if that giant bus sized lab is a real thing. 

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

Another one, and it's just the editing, but when Hammond is introduced his helicopter lands and they rush over to get them to shut the rotors off and the pilot points and Hammond is already in their trailer somehow.

It's really kinda a sloppy movie, I wonder if he was distracted by Schindlers List during editing.

He's on record saying it was really hard to do the two at the same time. And yet somehow he created two masterpieces. 

“When I finally started shooting…in Poland, I had to go home about two or three times a week and get on a very crude satellite feed to Northern California…to be able to approve T-Rex shots,” he remembered. “And it built a tremendous amount of resentment and anger that I had to do this, that I had to actually go from [the emotional weight of Schindler’s List] to dinosaurs chasing jeeps, and all I could express was how angry that made me at the time. I was grateful later in June, though, but until then it was a burden.”

https://ew.com/oscars/2018/04/27/steven-spielberg-schindlers-list-jurassic-park-tribeca-film-festival/

I was stuck with having to travel with an airline that quite frankly had a terribly inadequate selection of films, but it did lead me to watch DC League of Super-pets. If I hadn't been stuck on that plane, I wouldn't have touched it with a ten-foot pole, but I gave it a chance out of sheer boredom and it was actually rather good.

Perhaps it's my weird fascination with Kevin Hart - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson collaborations (I didn't realize they were in it before starting the film), but I genuinely had a good time. I thought the humour worked surprisingly well and I'm quite surprised that it was a box-office bomb. 

I also watched season 8 of Endeavor when I got back home. Like always, each season has three episodes. I thought the first was okay, the second one was quite good, and the third one was awful. It's such a frustrating show. I still think its pilot episode was probably the greatest British murder mystery (I use that very specific description since it's basically a genre on its own) ever, but this show definitely went on way beyond its best-before-date. The performances are still great, but the quality of the mysteries are usually terrifyingly awful. I read that there is one more season left (9 which has been released in the UK already), but I'm not betting on getting any resolution to the personal dramas of Endeavor, which is a shame.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think it's scarier too. The scene with the raptors in the long grass was terrifying for me as a kid.

Also, the jeeps in The Lost World seem impractical. But I am curious if that giant bus sized lab is a real thing. 

I think I'm thinking of the Mercedes' that thr good guys drive. The one Eddie gets eaten out of, rather than the badguy cars.

1 hour ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

I think I'm thinking of the Mercedes' that thr good guys drive. The one Eddie gets eaten out of, rather than the badguy cars.

Raptors eat Eddie in the high hide in the book. But yeah, those cars are not bad. I just can't imagine the ones that the bad guys were using to hunt down the dinos. Feels like one bump (and they're in an open, untested field) could wreck them quickly. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

3 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Never read Chrichton, for whatever reason. I know that Malcolm dies in the first book. 

I'd recommend both books plus a few others if you're interested. A lot of them should be suggested reading for kids in the 8th-10th grade based on what they like. I've never read anyone's work that made me dream of being a scientist more than his. 

And Malcom does die but then is back in the second one. Hammond dies from being swarmed by the little buggers in the second film. Grant, Sattler and the kids end up being imprisoned indefinitely. 

Finished JW:D

The epilogue is hilarious. The movie is so clunky. This smacks of reshoots and failing to find the film in the edit. Some cool Dino effects though.

2 hours ago, Veltigar said:

I was stuck with having to travel with an airline that quite frankly had a terribly inadequate selection of films, but it did lead me to watch DC League of Super-pets. If I hadn't been stuck on that plane, I wouldn't have touched it with a ten-foot pole, but I gave it a chance out of sheer boredom and it was actually rather good.

Perhaps it's my weird fascination with Kevin Hart - Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson collaborations (I didn't realize they were in it before starting the film), but I genuinely had a good time. I thought the humour worked surprisingly well and I'm quite surprised that it was a box-office bomb. 

Totally agree. I’m tempted to see it again.

It doesn’t quite rise to the level of something like The Incredibles,  but of the 2022 animated films I’ve seen, it’s second only to Puss in Boots 2. Why it didn’t do better in theaters is anyones guess. 2022 was a weird year for big screen animation.

It’s definitely better than Super Mario, which is succeeding at being a massive cash grab. 

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'd recommend both books plus a few others if you're interested. A lot of them should be suggested reading for kids in the 8th-10th grade based on what they like. I've never read anyone's work that made me dream of being a scientist more than his. 

And Malcom does die but then is back in the second one. Hammond dies from being swarmed by the little buggers in the second film. Grant, Sattler and the kids end up being imprisoned indefinitely. 

That's fucking dark. 

Just now, Secretary of Eumenes said:

That's fucking dark. 

I was reading like Dean Koontz and stuff in the eighth grade. Or maybe that was more of Sixth and Seventh. I think I was in the Eighth grade when the Legacy of the Force series was coming out. Which, uh, did not make me wanna be a scientist. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Man they need to make a Dino-Riders movie.

VelociPastor wasn't enough for you? 

1 hour ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

That's fucking dark. 

Some of the Harry Potter books were pretty dark and kids a lot younger than I mentioned love them. 

44 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Speaking of shameless cash grabs: Blues Brothers 2000. At the time, Blues Brothers was probably my favorite film and I’d seen it a dozen times.

I walked out of BB 2000 actually feeling personally insulted. The product placement is insane. 

That one's in the "turned it off after 15 minutes" category, which I typically don't do. 

Took my niece to see Dungeons & Dragons. Really enjoyed this. The entire cast was excellent, and Chris Pine was the most 'Chris Pine' I've ever seen him.

Hope they make another.

I don't even think three is that bad as "movies about dinosaurs eating people" go. There's just that really stupid bit where the raptors decide it would take too long to murder the humans, because they have to go.

That almost maybe kinda could have worked if they established that the raptors in the first movie were "the most vicious creatures anyone has ever seen" because of their captivity and lack of hunting and sex. I could then see a wild raptor who just ate sparing some humans being plausible. 

I also find it odd that when they're in the lab someone says "hey that dinosaur wasn't on InGen's list!" and Dr Grant is like "Makes you wonder what else they were up to here..." (paraphrasing) and the payoff is ....nothing at all. 

But it's so much better than the new ones. 

If they ever make another one, I hope they just let the T-Rex rest. She's saved the humans in the climax of three movies now! It was only cool in the original. 

I turned 12 four days after Jurassic Park released. Dad took me and my buddies. My folks raised me without much worry about European (usually French) movies with lots of casual nudity, but I saw very, very few violent or scary films prior to that. I was also obsessed with dinosaurs as a kid (wanted to be a paleontologist until I hit Bio 1 and.. eww). 

Jurassic park terrified me. I thought I was cool after we left, but obviously not. Either that night or shortly thereafter, I had a dream featuring a T-Rex slowly stalking through the woods outside my childhood bedroom window. In the dream, I did the "freeze and it wont see you" trick, then slowly hid under the springs under my bed. The T-Rex's giant head smashed through the bay window and, of course, I was only saved by the impossible strength of my mattress spring box.

Anyway, I mention this because thirty years later I still have that god damn nightmare. Like once a year, there's the silhouette out there in the trees, then the window smashing and terror. At this point I usually wake up laughing that it's still in my subconscious all these years later. That was still like the best birthday party ever.

Three had so many flaws. Where to start.:

At least one of the useless parents should have been eaten. Probably both.

The kid would never have survived for that long and probably dies in the landing.

The aforementioned entire plot with the raptors and stealing their eggs.

T-Rex and Spinosaurus fight.

The kid getting T-Rex piss. 

The raptor on the plane dream.

How Billy clearly dies and then somehow comes back to life.

How they get off the island.

It's pretty awful when you think about it. Jurassic World was a slight improvement even though it has a number of things to list off about it as well, and then the next two return to being almost unwatchable. The short released online is probably the third best thing in the whole series.

The ride at Universal was still dope though.