WWWatching

TheLastWolf

The first episode of Silo was great. It's a dystopian scifi mystery. Nice world-building.

Although

Spoiler

Im not happy we seem to be changing out protagonists.

I'm hooked.

Edited by Mindwalker

4 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

Um Is Ozark worth a watch?

It comes down to how much time you have to watch TV, and maybe what else you haven't seen yet. I'd lean towards "no" though. It's not a bad show by any means but it's nowhere near what you've been watching, and peaks early and then sorta piddles out to a very weak ending. 

Ironically it's one of the few shows Netflix didn't cancel prematurely and if they had I'd probably have a higher opinion of it.

The premiere episode of the 8th season of Fear The Walking Dead is an stunning example of unambiguously bad writing.  I feel so bad for Kim Dickens, whose character came back from the dead for this shabby effort.

Way too many shows these days characters behave in ways most convenient to the plot, rather than from any believable psychological motivation.  But FTWD tops all those with stunning ineptitude, having characters contradict themselves about what they want and why, within the same scene.

I almost want to encourage people to watch it to see how veiling a story with mystery and suspense can't always mask your puppets strings.  There ought to be a registry for writing crimes like this.

Noooo!

Spoiler

They killed off Geraldine James! I knew it would probably happen, but still!

I thought it was going to be the wine. Her water bottle, I assume? Or the Deputy's?

Hmmmm... I'd been wondering if he was a Baddie after all, maybe he knew too much and got targeted when someone saw him get close to the mayor?

Then again, I thought she looked at him strangely, after she seemed slightly ill and shortly before she went to the restroom...

Also, the suits of the 'cleaners' are totally poisoned, i.e. the oxygen supply thingie...

Binged episode 2 and 3. Such a well-done show.

Great little thriller-within-the show in ep 3.

Interesting flicker/ image before the screens went out, I wonder if people will start to ask questions.

Was this written by a woman? I'm not used to a tv show with several old women around.

Spoiler

Well, maybe they'll kill them all off, lol.

Can't wait for episode 4.

Edited by Mindwalker

36 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

there's a silo thread if you post there as well.

I've finished all 3 episodes too, but not as into the show as you are so far! I've read the books but the thread is book spoiler free atm

Barry was great tonight:

Spoiler

Stephen Root was really good. I mean he's always great but I don't think of him as someone with a huge amount of range. It'd be really easy to tip over into the wrong kind of funny playing that version of Fuches. 

The whole episode was great. I love the ...exaggerated reality of this show and Atlanta. The whole thing with the barista and her daughter was so great. "I'm a father!" 

I also thought the Sally/John stuff was darkly hilarious, right up until I was convinced she was going to accidentally shoot him. 

I feel like there's a wikipedia article I should read behind that fantasized podcast with the hockey guy, but it was also really funny. 

Real curious how this all ends. 

53 minutes ago, dbunting said:

If you have the time, yes. There are some really good characters and S1 is really good.  As mentioned they don't stick the landing but it is worth the journey. 

I want to second this because maybe I came off too harsh. Really the question is best answered with like a list of shows you think are better than it, so you can watch the ones you haven't seen. Here is a totally not exhaustive tiered list. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, and this is only drama or a mix. So no Always Sunny or other shows I love. 

The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Bojack Horseman
Six Feet Under, The Leftovers, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, Succession, Atlanta, Barry
Rome, The Deuce, Watchmen, The Americans, Station Eleven, Carnivale, Treme, Twin Peaks
Fargo, Justified, Mr Robot, True Detective
Hannibal, Person of Interest

The Croods

i never gave this movie much thought when it was released but I decided to give it a watch a mere 10 years after its release.

I loved the hell out of this movie. Yeah it’s goofy as hell and there’s stuff that’s a bit of a stretch even given its own internal logic,  but goddamn if I didn’t laugh my arse off. The movie also had a kind of epic-ness that’s I wasn’t expecting. A kids film that felt like it had actual stakes.

Great stuff.

ETA: John Cleese has a story credit on this?!?

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

@Deadlines? What Deadlines?

I meant to mention, I have a four year old nephew who I went to see this weekend. He was suddenly so into Mario. For a bit all he wanted to do was "play" Mario Kart: Double Dash which means me playing it while he directs me. 

So I ask my sister "you took him to his first movie huh?" Nope.

He hasn't seen it yet. He's just excited from talking to his pre-school friends and commercials or whatever.

6 minutes ago, RumHam said:

@Deadlines? What Deadlines?

I meant to mention, I have a four year old nephew who I went to see this weekend. He was suddenly so into Mario. For a bit all he wanted to do was "play" Mario Kart: Double Dash which means me playing it while he directs me. 

So I ask my sister "you took him to his first movie huh?" Nope.

He hasn't seen it yet. He's just excited from talking to his pre-school friends and commercials or whatever.

Star Wars for Generation Alpha. Seriously this Mario hoo-ha is getting out of control. I’ve seen it and it really wasn’t that good. Parts of it were kind of boring actually.

It’s nice you get to bond with your nephew though.

2 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

It’s nice you get to bond with your nephew though.

Kids love ridiculous people. 

Edited by RumHam

5 hours ago, RumHam said:

It comes down to how much time you have to watch TV, and maybe what else you haven't seen yet. I'd lean towards "no" though. It's not a bad show by any means but it's nowhere near what you've been watching, and peaks early and then sorta piddles out to a very weak ending. 

Ironically it's one of the few shows Netflix didn't cancel prematurely and if they had I'd probably have a higher opinion of it.

This is a really good point. My first reaction would be ‘yes, watch Ozark’,  because it’s one of the very few shows Netflix made that turned out to be good and was from that period where a Netflix show was an indicator of above average quality rather than the opposite.

I really enjoyed Ozark, there are so many great characters and performances and it is simply a lot of fun to get through.

BUT! yeah it’s so clearly derivative of Breaking Bad, whilst never being as good, it would be a big struggle to watch it off the back of watching BB. You’d be comparing it the entire time and Ozark would come out looking a lot worse.

10 hours ago, Raja said:

there's a silo thread if you post there as well.

I've finished all 3 episodes too, but not as into the show as you are so far! I've read the books but the thread is book spoiler free atm

Thank you. In my experience, there are always some book readers who can't help themselves and post vague spoilers. I just checked out the thread and, lo and behold, "close but no cigar." In this case I prefer to be completely unspoiled.

ETA

My theories so far:

Spoiler

It looks like the outside world is not poisoned anymore (if it ever was); and the cleaners get killed to keep up the ruse. The ominous Judiciary seem to be the culprits and Bernard seems in on it. The Founders erased history, not the rebels.

However, I somehow expect some more twists and turns. We never did see what Holsten saw when he took off his helmet. Maybe the nice green image is a simulation on his screen, too - so everyone who goes out, even though they are determined not to clean, do so in the end. They want to show the other dwellers the "truth." The file George and Allison discovered (we saw it in her glasses) as well as the image flickering up when power was shut down seem identical and don't show the dead bodies.

It's also possible that even the cleaners' deaths are a simulation and we'll somehow meet them again, maybe as part of the 'rebellion.' Whatever this is - the powerful don't wont to return to the surface even though the apocalypse is over, or the entire thing is an experiment, a station on an alien planet, or a simulattion as a whole... I wouldn't be surprised if in the end, the evil ones are the good ones, or at least it won't be as simple as it looks right now.

I'm sure there were some more clues I missed, like on the pages of a book the mayor perused. I couldn't read it.

Sooo... whatever it is, I think they only thing we know for sure is that the people on the inside are fed lies.

I hope the show doesn't get cancelled before we find out!

For now, I'm curious as to what George has left for Juliette in the vent. The harddrive? Did George find out what was beyond the tunnel and was he killed by bearded Stasi dude? And wll her friend get killed off the minute she's fixed the video cam and wants to meet Juliette about it?

Edited by Mindwalker

I’m watching Bones. Still. Heaven only knows why… this show has zero self reflection. Like its self reflection is in the negative. Don’t you realize how absolutely nonsensical and stupid what you are doing is? 

this show retcons itself to then go ahead and NOT change the plot.

this show will have a flashback episode to let you know that there’s NO background for this or that relationship. 

this show will play every plot contrivance known to the human brain and then backtrack and NOT do the plot line they contrived. 

who does that? :lmao: I can’t even. Soaps at least actually spin the plot, they don’t just pretend to spin it then back out of it. 

Spoiler

And I was right, there’s literally no friendship between Angela and Brennan. They met a month before Brennan started solving murders at an art exhibit. Then she commissioned Angela for no reason to do a sketch. The next day (aka on their third meeting) Brennan introduced Angela as her friend. They are friends, people. Who needs shared values/experience/time/interests/enemies/goals/etc? They are just friends. Just like that. Five seasons. Five seasons and I haven’t seen a minute of these two women forming or maintaining their alleged friendship. Incredible. :lmao: 

Uuuuuuugh I hate Angela so much. which was the last character I hated to this extent? I can’t remember. I can’t stand Angela, she is the wooooooooooooorst. 

Edited by RhaenysBee

I watched Air, the newest Matt Damon/Ben Affleck movie, about how Nike's Air Jordan shoes come to be. 

It was alright. I think it tried to pay tribute to Michael Jordan, but in a weird way. The movie tries to enforce the message at the end that Nike changed the athlete business world for the better, which I suppose it's true, but most of the movie was basically a guy trying to beat the competition in his market and gambling with the livelihoods of his coworkers.

Nice to see Chris Tucker again and Damon gave another solid performance.

Started watching Dragged Across Concrete, and it made me realise what a shame it is that Mel Gibson turned out to be such an arsehole because he's really fucking magnetic on screen and I really missed watching him. He didn't have to do anything at all but just stare into space and I couldn't stop watching him. The guy has movie star quality. 

Interesting choice to be playing an old school racist cop though.