WWWatching

TheLastWolf

Gurumbé: Afro-Andalusian Memories (2016) (Spanish name: Gurumbé: Canciones de Tu Memoria Negra), followed by a conversation with filmmaker Miguel Angel Rosales.

This was such a good watch, not because it had any information that I didn't already know, but all the scene locations were places I'd literally walked, been in the cities of Córduba, Cadíz, Saville, as well as in Lisboa and Lagos (Portugal, not Nigeria Lagos), again scenes shot where I'd been on other trips.  Even the horse drawn carriages lines up on the way to the Real Alcazar in Saville.

This film is a good introduction to the Iberian African slave trade, why even in the 17th century about 15% of Spain's population was Black, and the development of Flamenco and related Iberian musics.

Edited by Zorral

25 minutes ago, Zorral said:

This film is a good introduction to the Iberian African slave trade, why even in the 17th century about 15% of Spain's population was Black, and the development of Flamenco and related Iberian musics.

What’s your definition of ‘black’ here 

5 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I watched Air, the newest Matt Damon/Ben Affleck movie, about how Nike's Air Jordan shoes come to be. 

It was alright. I think it tried to pay tribute to Michael Jordan, but in a weird way. The movie tries to enforce the message at the end that Nike changed the athlete business world for the better, which I suppose it's true, but most of the movie was basically a guy trying to beat the competition in his market and gambling with the livelihoods of his coworkers.

Nice to see Chris Tucker again and Damon gave another solid performance.

I'm guessing they glossed over the sweatshop parts...

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm guessing they glossed over the sweatshop parts...

Heh, there's literally one mention

Spoiler

Jason Bateman's character talks about stomaching working for a company that makes 80% of its products in Taiwan because of his kid whom he sees only once a week per the divorce settlement.

1 hour ago, 3CityApache said:

New season of The Great is hilarious as the previous ones. Two episodes in and I love every bit of it. We're taking the u out of colour - you wouldn't dare :rofl:

I quit somewhere in season 1... or maybe 2, don't remember... Did they finally manage to

Spoiler

kill him?

That felt really dragged out... :D

Edited by Mindwalker

I'm late to the party but I'm 4 episodes into The Rings of Power. It's visually stunning and the high quality of the production is very apparent. I love the absolutely gorgeous scenery and cities, costumes, races, and the (visual) depiction thus far of magic. Unfortunately that's about as deep as it gets. I don't find my self caring for any of the storylines, and I'm not sure I even know what the story is beyond "there is an evil rising." I don't find myself really caring for any of the characters even though I want to root for a show that appeared to spare no expense except perhaps in the writing department. Literally the only reason I keep playing the next episode is because of the eye candy of it all. I plan to finish the season and I hope it grows on me more as it goes on.

Slowly catching up on Succession. Currently one episode behind. I'll never love this show, but the dialogue is truly a work of art, that cannot be denied.

Spoilers from season 4, episode 7

Spoiler

The whole back-and-forth between Rome and Connor on the price for him to withdraw from the presidential elections ending with the description of Mogadishu as

"A bit car-bomby"

Well, that had me in stitches.

10 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

New season of The Great is hilarious as the previous ones. Two episodes in and I love every bit of it. We're taking the u out of colour - you wouldn't dare :rofl:

A new season of The Great? Damn, that's another thing to add to my watch list. I totally did not expect it to be released already. This show really has issues with promoting itself well.

7 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

A new season of The Great? Damn, that's another thing to add to my watch list. I totally did not expect it to be released already. This show really has issues with promoting itself well.

That’s true, it wasn’t even prometed on HBO Max home page. If I didn’t already knew it was out, I wouldn’t find it. 

@Mindwalker

Spoiler

They didn’t, though were close in the season 2 finale. But I don’t blame them one bit. Who would be willing to waste such a juicy character, and Nicolas Hoult for that matter?

Edited by 3CityApache

2 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

That’s true, it wasn’t even prometed on HBO Max home page. If I didn’t already knew it was out, I wouldn’t find it. 

I had to google how to watch it in the UK and it's not even being released till July!! Outrageous.. apparently I can watch it on. *squints at the screen*... Lionsgate+... what is that?!

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I had to google how to watch it in the UK and it's not even being released till July!! Outrageous.. apparently I can watch it on. *squints at the screen*... Lionsgate+... what is that?!

No idea. It’s normally on HBO Max here, like two previous seasons. 

I, on the other hand, can’t watch Yellowjackets s2, even though I pay for SkyShowtime, because around here Canal+ has rights to it, which I also have, but they decided for some reason to release it in the summer!

Edited by 3CityApache

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

It’s one of those pay extra on top of what you’re paying for Prime channels that Amazon have introduced.

10 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Unfortunately that's about as deep as it gets. I don't find my self caring for any of the storylines, and I'm not sure I even know what the story is beyond "there is an evil rising."

Think of it as The Drunk History of Middle Earth.

Watched Air  today on Prime. It's basically the story of how Jordan signed with Nike, who at the time was an after thought in the shoe market for the NBA.

After watching it I think Air was a good name. Kinda bland, nothing earth shattering is revealed. Good performances by the actors, but there just isn't enough there to make it a movie. A 30 for 30 episode would have been a better way to go.

‘RRR’ Helped Jump-Start A Global Expansion For South Indian Cinema. How It Happened And What’s Next

https://deadline.com/2023/05/rrr-south-indian-film-expansion-pathaan-shah-rukh-kahn-ss-rajamouli-1235362858/

.... Given that Hindi is understood in almost three-quarters of India, Bollywood historically was the dominant player. As box office analyst Jatinder Singh says, “Due to the language barrier, the industries like Tollywood and Kollywood remained regional players, catering only to their state primarily.” That was until South Indian films began getting dubbed into Hindi — mostly for TV but also coinciding with the emergence of multiplexes in India, especially in the north. The multiplexes and their higher ticket prices, Singh says, “started making cinemagoing an elitist activity, and Bollywood started to cater to these multiplex audiences, cutting down on larger-than-life commercial masala films.” In turn, South Indian films dubbed into Hindi began to dominate television, too, as they provided what Bollywood was not delivering.  ....

,,,, Says Singh, “2022 felt like it was the year when the result of this was on full display as multiple South Indian Hindidubbed films found success.” Those also include Pushpa: The Rise — Part 01, Kantara, Karthikeya 2, Vikram and Ponniyin Selvan: Part I. .....

There was, naturally, no mention of the Hindi nationalism, anti-Muslim hardly subtexts in so many of these films though. 

Ponniyin Selvan: Part II should be showing up soon now, please, which isn't part of that subtextual horror.

Edited by Zorral

I didn't watch it because I don't have Netflix at this time, but the "documentary" Queen Cleopatra may have the lowest ever Rotten Tomatoes score: 10% critics and 2% audience. Yup

Even the critics that didn't care about the casting controversy thought that the acting and writing was generally bad and the "documentary" doesn't really feel factual.