WWWatching

TheLastWolf

Started a little rewatch of Fellowship of the Ring.  Rings of Power never had a chance up against this movie, it’s so fucking perfectly made, the sheer effort and love that went into every frame is just immediately apparent.

I was just sitting there marvelling at how good Jackson was at creating a visual tone and energy that made every scene a winner. The way he pushes the camera into peoples faces, darts around the place like some fat bearded Sam Raimi, it’s just fantastic. Plus Howard Shores soundtrack is so perfect.

As well as that Mckellan’s performance, every facial gurn and twist is just spot on.

Im sure most people here have seen the LOTR many times, I know I have. But after watching RoP it just makes me feel lucky that we got this Jackson trilogy, because it could have been the sort of empty soul less banal crap that Amazon served up to us. 

50 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

I never got far once it went off the rails. Now that I generally know how it ends, I do want to give it a proper re-watch through to the finale, disappointing or no. I was really attached to that show for several seasons.

The first time I watched it I started about a week before the series finale aired.  (Well, that isn't entirely true - my brother had me watch the first season when I visited home and an ex had me watch the first few episodes of season 3 when they came out.  Man was she gorgeous..ah to be 21 again..anyway.) 

I think the show is a lot less frustrating if you binge it as opposed to the people that were theorizing/obsessing week-to-week.  You also, on rewatches, can skip over a lot of the flashbacks etc. that definitely get repetitive and pointless.  Indeed, you could make a cut of LOST that I strongly suspect would be much more satisfying to many of those that lambast it.

58 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

because it could have been the sort of empty soul less banal crap that Amazon served up to us. 

I mean, fuck, it could have been the sort of empty soulless banal crap that most of the Hobbit ended up being. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Started a little rewatch of Fellowship of the Ring.  Rings of Power never had a chance up against this movie, it’s so fucking perfectly made, the sheer effort and love that went into every frame is just immediately apparent.

I was just sitting there marvelling at how good Jackson was at creating a visual tone and energy that made every scene a winner. The way he pushes the camera into peoples faces, darts around the place like some fat bearded Sam Raimi, it’s just fantastic. Plus Howard Shores soundtrack is so perfect.

As well as that Mckellan’s performance, every facial gurn and twist is just spot on.

Im sure most people here have seen the LOTR many times, I know I have. But after watching RoP it just makes me feel lucky that we got this Jackson trilogy, because it could have been the sort of empty soul less banal crap that Amazon served up to us. 

I rewatched all three of these recently after Rings of Power. I know it's an old complaint, but I couldn't believe it when the ring was destroyed and I looked and there was still fifty-something minutes of movie left. And I think people still complain they left stuff out. 

Caught most of Mario today, that movie sends a dangerous message that climbing in random sewer pipes leads to colorful adventures. Did I miss it or did he never get a fire flower? 

Rewatched The Social Network last night and that movie holds up really well. According to wikipedia they've been talking about doing a sequel for a bit I'm not sure what the hold up is. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

Rewatched The Social Network last night and that movie holds up really well. According to wikipedia they've been talking about doing a sequel for a bit I'm not sure what the hold up is. 

Well, hopefully it's cuz they still want Sorkin to write it.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I rewatched all three of these recently after Rings of Power. I know it's an old complaint, but I couldn't believe it when the ring was destroyed and I looked and there was still fifty-something minutes of movie left. And I think people still complain they left stuff out. 

Caught most of Mario today, that movie sends a dangerous message that climbing in random sewer pipes leads to colorful adventures. Did I miss it or did he never get a fire flower? 

I love the trilogy and for quite some time if I couldn't find anything to watch, I'd watch LOTR, though Return of the King is my least favorite.  It IS totally bloated, with Sam and Frodo blah blah, over and over again for what felt like hours.  It was sadly a precurser to the awful Hobbit movies.

**I did like the directors cut version of all three and it's weird that they are not shown anywhere.

10 hours ago, DMC said:

Rewatching LOST has become a summer tradition for me.

I did like a season 1 rewatch years ago but haven't seen it all the way through since it first aired where I basically watched all the seasons prior to the last 2 seasons.

Lost is the first proper series I watched and I don't remember a lot of it so should make for a good rewatch

On 5/18/2023 at 2:04 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Sometimes you get a Sharknado, which is a terrible dumb movie, but worth a laugh. Other times you get something that's truly awful. And then you get Re-Animator, which a few friends and I still joke about two decades later after we saw it.

Re-animator is the bomb. I would also file the remake of The Wicker Man under 'hilariously bad'.

On 5/21/2023 at 4:15 AM, Raja said:

Man, I think it's time for a rewatch

I just finished listening to The Hatch (podcast) where they rewatched the show and interviewed the showrunners, directors, cast, a few other production people. They got Michael Emerson on it a bunch of times, great to get his insight into Ben's character. If anyone was thinking of doing a rewatch then that podcast would be a good accompaniment to it, i.e. watch an episode then listen to the podcast about it. 

14 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Starting a rewatch of HBO’s Carnivale. I haven’t seen it since it originally aired, and don’t remember it all that well. It’s one of their only golden era shows that I haven’t revisited multiple times. 

I made myself a Spotify playlist of my favourite TV themes and Carnivale is on there, I get super nostalgic when I hear it. :(

I don't know if anyone else in the world apart from me has watched any of Meet, Marry, Murder on Netflix? We are near the end of S2 and last weekend we watched two episodes back to back which were simultaneously the most horrifying and the most outrageously ridiculous ways anyone has killed their spouse. The latter sparked off a half an hour debate at my house. Just absolutely mad. It's true what they say, the truth is stranger than fiction. 

17 minutes ago, Isis said:

I just finished listening to The Hatch (podcast)

Cool, will defo give this a listen. Think I might start the rewatch tonight with the pilot. I haven't heard of these two people before though, or the podcast.

1 hour ago, Isis said:

Re-animator is the bomb. I would also file the remake of The Wicker Man under 'hilariously bad'.

Nic Cage in a bear costume punching a woman? It should be awful, but hell yeah! Nothing in the remake makes sense. 

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Cool, will defo give this a listen. Think I might start the rewatch tonight with the pilot. I haven't heard of these two people before though, or the podcast.

I literally just heard of the podcast as it was doing its last couple of episodes. The two hosts are totally fine BUT some of their interviews are awful sound quality. Weirdly, unlike every other podcast I have listened to multiple seasonss of, they didn't seem to make their sound quality (this is just for the interviews) any better over the seasons. Some of the theories/rationale for character motivations as the seasons go on are quite interesting though and I think (if you are a Lost fan) worth listening to. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Nic Cage in a bear costume punching a woman? It should be awful, but hell yeah! Nothing in the remake makes sense. 

It's full on insanity.

5 minutes ago, Isis said:

It's full on insanity.

I listened to a podcast about the film not that long ago and they broke everything down and decided damn near not a single thing is connected or makes sense. And yet they liked it. Weird how that can work. Seems to be the case with a lot of Cage movies after winning Best Actor. Con Air is insane, but it's awesome. Face/Off is batshit, but again, awesome. And then when the money troubles hit he just flooded the zone, sometimes with surprisingly good stuff, but mostly it was shit though he was usually not the problem.