WWWatching

TheLastWolf

I was 13 when Party of Five came out. Of course you couldn't be a cool boy and admit to watching such a 'girly' show. Which I did every week, because Neve Campbell and JLH were foundational figures of my hormone-fueled choices in entertainment (alas a quarter century later I've hardly matured a bit. Sigh). Of course I liked Wild Things for the female/female makeout I'd ever seen in a theater, but I agree that it likely still holds up as a very entertaining, schlocky twisty crime potboiler. I was actually trying to track it down recently, after I enjoyed a re-watch of Starship Troopers.

Totally random, but Scott Wolf of Party of Five 90s fame has family near my town and whenever he visits, has dinner at a restaurant I worked for a long time. Very nice dude.

Finished season 3 of The Great

Spoiler

I absolutely loved Elle Fanning dancing to AC/DC at the end. :wub:

With both Peter and Pugachev dead it will be interesting to see if the show can maintain it’s quality without Nicholas Hoult should they do another season.

On 5/24/2023 at 2:18 AM, Nictarion said:

Reveal hidden contents

I absolutely loved Elle Fanning dancing to AC/DC at the end. :wub:

With both Peter and Pugachev dead it will be interesting to see if the show can maintain it’s quality without Nicholas Hoult should they do another season.

Hadn't realized this was out. Just rewatched the S2 finale to refresh in anticipation :) 

Finished the first season of The Diplomat on Netflix. This is one of my favourite shows of the year so far. Great plot, Sorkineqsue dialogue, delivered by an excellent cast, headed by the amazing Keri Russell. Highly recommended.

Pebbles [Koozhangal]

Tamil, 74 minutes long

India's offl entry in '22 (94th Oscars)

As usual no promotion no nomination

Brilliant Indie, on Amazon Prime Video now/soon after months of successful festival circuit run. Won the Tiger Competition award at IFFR (Rotterdam) and a bunch of others.

mubi

Watched Y Sŵn (The Noise) about the Plaid Cymru politician Gwynfor Evans and the creation of S4C, the Welsh-language television channel. 

I did want to like it, but in the end found it too self-congratulatory and tonally uneven, the dialogue so clumsy that I wondered if it had been written by an intern hired on the strength of family connections. The film half-wanted to be a playful political comedy with the well-known, very Welsh actor Mark Lewis Jones playing eighties Chancellor of the Exchequer Willie Whitelaw with a hyper-careful upper-crust English drawl; folk singers/collectors/academic Meredydd Evans and Phyllis Kinney seem almost to have walked out of a Wes Anderson film, while apparitions of Gandhi and Martin Luther King appear by a windswept Llyn Pencarreg.

The scenes in Westminster are played in black-and-white. Everywhere in Wales is shot in colour. 

At the same time, Y Sŵn was a deal less cartoonish about Gwynfor Evans himself, and took the drama of the threatened hunger strike very seriously, as shown in his scenes with his loving, exasperated wife of many years. But as a drama about sacrifice for a political cause, it's a damp squib, because the Tories gave in and set up S4C before Evans needed to forego food or drink of any kind. 

Starting S3E1 of The Great I had to pause it and lick the BBQ sauce off my fingers to sing the praises of the actor who plays Orlo. He's fantastic, been one of my favorites since the beginning but he just knocked me over by saying "No, no!" with such dejection and disbelief that; well, here I am typing. 

The actor, Sacha Dhawan, is a treasure. I can't wait to see him in many things to come. All the actors in this are great (which I tend to put to direction/production and good writing making possible), but boy is this fella just aces. 

Looks bizarrely like my former Treatment- Squad Leader too. Like, uncannily. Good looking guy, nonetheless. 

I've been re-watching Seinfeld slowly. I'd forgotten about the plot where they pitch Jerry to NBC. It's funny to think that the show could have gone crazy meta and continued that plot. So that within the show Jerry and George were producing episodes of Jerry based on their experiences on Seinfeld.

It's funny watching it after Curb, I recognize all Larry David's voice cameos now. Plus little things like the car periscope that come up on both shows. Does anyone know why he left the show after season seven? 

52 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Starting S3E1 of The Great I had to pause it and lick the BBQ sauce off my fingers to sing the praises of the actor who plays Orlo. He's fantastic, been one of my favorites since the beginning but he just knocked me over by saying "No, no!" with such dejection and disbelief that; well, here I am typing. 

The actor, Sacha Dhawan, is a treasure. I can't wait to see him in many things to come. All the actors in this are great (which I tend to put to direction/production and good writing making possible), but boy is this fella just aces. 

Looks bizarrely like my former Treatment- Squad Leader too. Like, uncannily. Good looking guy, nonetheless. 

FUCK

1 hour ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Please tell me you saw him in Doctor Who.

On 5/27/2023 at 4:01 AM, SpaceChampion said:

Please tell me you saw him in Doctor Who.

So amazingly appropriate given his role in The Great.

Speaking of, just finished the 8th episode. Jesus, this show's pretty incredible. Elle Fanning's performance in the 7th episode was fascinating and extremely good, and I hope she submits it for her Emmy campaign next year (unless, that is, she does even better later).

Spoiler

I mean, episode 6 just made our jaws drop. Of course in hindsight it makes sense -- they have taken Peter about as far as they can go without it being repetitive and just him treading water -- but in the moment it was like... what the fuck?

Of course I know Pugachev is going to feature going forward, and it's absolutely amazing how different Hoult is when playing the character, but I will miss mad, happy-go-lucky, food-and-sex mad Peter.

(I did also question Velementov not joining Grigor in running to try and save him, and then of course they answered that in an appropriate way.)

Also, Maxim and Petrov are such a great additions to the cast. 

I just put on Halloween Ends for about 50 minutes and my gods, I had to turn it off.  To be fair, I didn't watch all of it during that 50 minutes - went and got liquor in between - but jeebus fucking christ man.  What a piece of shit. 

I wasn't expecting much - and I haven't seen any of the three new ones - but it was almost actively offensive to anyone that respects the franchise.  Or just, ya know, has any idea of how to write or shoot motion pictures.  Feel like I need a shower.

Rewatched The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent and it's damn good fun. Stupid, but fun.

Still can't believe Lily Sheen is Kate Beckinsale's daughter. There are so many actors I would have guessed to be her mom before the latter. 

I just watched the 2018 mini series A Very English Scandal. Written by Russell T. Davies, directed by Stephen Frears, it was quite enjoyable (despite the serious subject matter/ background).

Edited by Mindwalker

On 5/24/2023 at 8:18 AM, Nictarion said:

Reveal hidden contents

Finished as well. Amazing season, and I dare say the best of the season of the show to date, which is pretty remarkable to say three seasons in.

Maxim was just so... Maxim-esque.

Spoiler

Apparently Tony McNamara had intended to have Maxim die in the duel with Grigor's second, but Henry Meredith's table read was so hilarious that he changed his mind and then kept him around more and more. Also, apparently, because of his age, he often had to leave the table read room -- presumably when the raunchier dialog was being spoken -- and then would come in to read his lines, leave everything laughing, and head out again.