U.S. Politics: Great Men Master trends

Jace, Extat

The conservative campaign to rewrite child labor laws
The Foundation for Government Accountability, a Florida-based think tank and lobbying group, drafted state legislation to strip child workplace protections, emails show

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2023/04/23/child-labor-lobbying-fga/

When Iowa lawmakers voted last week to roll back certain child labor protections, they blended into a growing movement driven largely by a conservative advocacy group.

At 4:52 a.m., Tuesday, the state’s Senate approved a bill to allow children as young as 14 to work night shifts and 15 year-olds on assembly lines. The measure, which still must pass the Iowa House, is among several the Foundation for Government Accountability is maneuvering through state legislatures.

The Florida-based think tank and its lobbying arm, the Opportunity Solutions Project, have found remarkable success among Republicans to relax regulations that prevent children from working long hours in dangerous conditions. And they are gaining traction at a time the Biden administration is scrambling to enforce existing labor protections for children.

The FGA achieved its biggest victory in March, playing a central role in designing a new Arkansas law to eliminate work permits and age verification for workers younger than 16. Its sponsor, state Rep. Rebecca Burkes (R), said in a hearing that the legislation “came to me from the Foundation [for] Government Accountability.”

“As a practical matter, this is likely to make it even harder for the state to enforce our own child labor laws,” said Annie B. Smith, director of the University of Arkansas School of Law’s Human Trafficking Clinic. “Not knowing where young kids are working makes it harder for [state departments] to do proactive investigations and visit workplaces where they know that employment is happening to make sure that kids are safe.”

That law passed so swiftly and was met with such public outcry that Arkansas officials quickly approved a second measure increasing penalties on violators of the child labor codes the state had just weakened.

In Missouri, where another child labor bill has gained significant GOP support, the FGA helped a lawmaker draft and revise the legislation, according to emails obtained by The Washington Post.

The FGA for years has worked systematically to shape policy at the state level, fighting to advance conservative causes such as restricting access to anti-poverty programs and blocking Medicaid expansion.  .....

BTW, w/satan's law against discussing menstruation by school kids, with each other, or in class, will reviews of the film, Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret be allowed to published or read or spoken of in FL?

Time for the 21st century to have its "March of the Mill Children" moment.

The conservative cannot be content with rolling the country back to pre-civil rights act and outlawed contraception. They are aiming for 19th century labor conditions.

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

BTW, w/satan's law against discussing menstruation by school kids, with each other, or in class, will reviews of the film, Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret be allowed to published or read or spoken of in FL?

JFC. Something something dirty pillows.

22 hours ago, Zorral said:

Well, that lovely Pixar film Turning Red has probably already been banned outside of Reedy Creek.  But menstruation probably wasn’t the reason…

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Coincidentally, not long after he contributed to costing his employers $787m and, I believe, the Smartmatic case is still to come.

Dang, I wanted to be the first to post it... Bye bye F*cker Carlson!

Which of the nutcases will move up now?

PS: I mean, his "employer" could've gotten rid of him long ago, so no pity for them. They're just peachy with their Goebbelses as long as they make them money.

Edited by Mindwalker