UK Politics: Bully for you

Derfel Cadarn

Conservatives have acknowledged disappointment at the early results but noted that only 25% of councils have declared results so far.”

That’s like a pub football team being 3 down to Man Utd but pointing out that there’s still 70 minutes of the match left…

24 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The restriction for front-facing staff is new and I’d be curious if its enforceable as its not in t&c.

It is now. And if it's a properly assessed health and safety requirement, those tribunal cases (who goes straight to a tribunal?) are not likely to get far IMO.

24 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Also since it’s apparently due to masking, which is nO longer really a thing, seems a bit like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.

Well, apropos of that:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65419126

Governments and healthcare bodies around the world have not learnt the lessons from Covid-19 and are not ready for another pandemic, according to the boss of private healthcare firm Bupa.

"We might face [another pandemic] soon," Iñaki Ereño said.

He's not wrong. There will certainly be another pandemic in our lifetimes, possibly within the decade, probably airborne. Complaining about a key service instituting an RPE policy now is odd given that everyone would doubtless ask why they didn't have one in place before the next pandemic hits.

Pretty shocked by my local results - Tewkesbury East has gone from 2 conservatives to 2 Greens, with an increased turnout from 2019 (28.9% => 33.1%)
Increased turnout means an extra 250 ballots cast, and the tories still managed to lose over 100 votes.

In GE terms, we're one of the safest tory seats in the country (obviously, far more than just this ward, but the story seems to be being repeated all over the borough)

ETA: As far as I can see, of the seats so far declared, we've gone

Con: 10 => 1
L-D: 5 => 10
Ind: 4 => 5
Grn: 1 => 4

Edited by Which Tyler

I was kicked off my local dentist's books last year.  Got an email out of the blue saying they are not treating ANY patients on the NHS anymore.

I needed some emergency work done a couple of months ago. Thankfully, my mum was able to bung me the £650 I needed to stop the agony.

5 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Its turning into a proper rout. 

And ... hmmm .. why is that, one wonders . . . .  Ha!

Color me confused though, what is this chance to do what are the voters are giving Sunak?

Edited by Zorral

11 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The Tory attempt to make things not look too bad by saying they might lose 1000 seats, lose fewer, and then hail it as a victory of sorts has backfired.

They’ve lost 1035 seats so far with 9 left to declare

I live in such a Tory area they gained a seat here!

lolsob

19 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

The Tory attempt to make things not look too bad by saying they might lose 1000 seats, lose fewer, and then hail it as a victory of sorts has backfired.

In a sane world they'd lose every single seat, but this is a nice start.

29 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

They've lost control of more than half their councils, from 78 down to 32.

Labour have moved from 49 to 79.

Lib-Dem from 17 to 28.

With 8 councils remaining, it's technically possible for LD to overtake Tory!

Labour have also overtaken conservative for the number of councillors (lib dem way behind there)

Edited by Which Tyler

13 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

I live in such a Tory area they gained a seat here!

lolsob

Now I'm kind of imagining you living in the village from Hot Fuzz except with a Conservative Association on every corner. And the local hunt riding down hippies in the street to celebrate Boxing Day.  

We also still need to see how well the voter suppression worked (not that it'll be accurate, given that they also suppressed the measurement of the suppression).

Ward next-door to mine the 2nnd Tory got through by 4 votes. I know one person who was turned away there (and didn't stick it through to be recorded as turned away) though I don't know how she'd have voted.

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I've got a feeling that these results are even worse for the tories than they seem.

I bet they got a small coronation boost from all the flag waving fucks. 

Maybe all the flag-waving fucks are camping out in London and so never voted!

2 hours ago, dog-days said:

Now I'm kind of imagining you living in the village from Hot Fuzz except with a Conservative Association on every corner. And the local hunt riding down hippies in the street to celebrate Boxing Day.  

I live in Billericay a town not a village but that is more accurate than you know.  Billericay is one of the Posh bits of Essex and thus will never vote Labour.  the council is Basildon (totally not posh and home of the Essex girl jokes) who would very much love to have Boris back or would be delighted to vote for JRM and think Farage is a saint.

The 2 Billericay wards Tory councillors got less of the vote share this time round, still over 50% of the total votes though, but hey at least the voting swung in the right direction for my ward.