NBA - Rochambeau Playoffs

Rhom

22 hours ago, DMC said:

I mean, welcome to capitalism.  I'm totally on the side of labor when it comes to CBAs, but you're talking about the relative competitiveness of teams in certain markets.  There's always going to be somewhat of a bias there between filthy rich owners and I don't really feel bad about that.

There needs to be a level playing field on the court. It's really distracting when on one side the refs are calling on this minor shit, but on the other they're letting the team club the other players in the lane. Especially now that they're in bed with gambling.

Also, Ja, you idiot. He's suspended again for flashing a gun. At this point I think that kid's claim is likely true. 

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

There needs to be a level playing field on the court. It's really distracting when on one side the refs are calling on this minor shit, but on the other they're letting the team club the other players in the lane.

This is just never gonna happen.  It's the nature of the sport.  With baseball and football you can eliminate human error - or corruption - to a certain extent.  But it's simply not possible with the discretion refs necessarily are allowed in determining fouls in basketball.  There will always be complaints, and bias, and, yeah, corruption too.  I'm just not sure how to fix that.  Open to suggestions, sure, if you have any.

32 minutes ago, DMC said:

This is just never gonna happen.  It's the nature of the sport.  With baseball and football you can eliminate human error - or corruption - to a certain extent.  But it's simply not possible with the discretion refs necessarily are allowed in determining fouls in basketball.  There will always be complaints, and bias, and, yeah, corruption too.  I'm just not sure how to fix that.  Open to suggestions, sure, if you have any.

Can we at least start with getting rid of the Angel Hernandez's of the world? Like we know in every sport there are a few refs/umps that are fucking terrible. Just raise the standards for a start. Some ref in the NFL told Cam Newton he hadn't earned a roughing call because he didn't think he played long enough, and on the replay he got hit harder in the head than Brady probably ever did. That's what's really fucked up. The ref saying he didn't care what the rule was, he didn't like the player. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Can we at least start with getting rid of the Angel Hernandez's of the world? Like we know in every sport there are a few refs/umps that are fucking terrible.

Well, ok.  Obviously that should always be the case.  That isn't really a legislative proposal.

On 5/11/2023 at 8:57 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Has anyone fallen more in the last year than him?

I guess with 51 points in a Game 7 he's now second best again?

On 5/11/2023 at 8:57 PM, Tywin et al. said:

Luka's team sucked, but I don't think anyone has him outside of their current top five. Tatum looked for a moment like he could be the second best player in the league (no one is touching Giannis right now), but he could possibly slip to the back of the top 10 in short order.

Others have already taken you to task well enough for this but I, a Celtics fan, never had him in the top five. Even now probably not. The MVP chants are borderline embarrassing.

That being said, I've had my own concerns about his ability to take over when needed. The end of Game 6 was great but it felt like the guy got hailed as a hero for pulling a drowning kid out of the water when he bumped the kid in in the first place.

Every time he's had a crap performance in the playoffs I muttered dire things about him being more Carmelo than Bird. But he has at least found ways to contribute when his shot wasn't falling and I haven't questioned his effort. If only we could get him to stop whining to the refs so much.

I'm pretty scared of the Heat. Butler is kinda what I hope Tatum will grow into.

Edited by DanteGabriel

17 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

That being said, I've had my own concerns about his ability to take over when needed.

My concern with Tatum is that he want's to be Kobe, and Kobe always was a dude who could score, but in really awful ways. Tatum should be able to get way easier buckets in the paint and do it all the time. But he takes bad shots because, Imo, he thinks making bad shots is a virtue. 

So I was talking to a friend and this final four is so weird. Can anyone remember a time when the final four three years apart were the same four teams and the top two players on each team were the same? Don’t recall that in modern day sports.

3 hours ago, Arakasi said:

So I was talking to a friend and this final four is so weird. Can anyone remember a time when the final four three years apart were the same four teams and the top two players on each team were the same? Don’t recall that in modern day sports.

Didn't Cleveland and the Warriors play like 4 years in a row in the finals? Was Kyrie off the 3rd one?  He was the 4th for sure.

Well yeah top two sure but I meant final four. Butler/Bam, James/AD, Tatum/Brown and Jokic/Murray. Sure they’ve flipped seeding but same teams and same top stars. The Bulls won a bunch but through different teams. Golden State has different rivals in the west. Same with Cleveland in the east.

76ers shot more fts than the Celtics. At one point 76ers got THREE WHOLE calls that could have gone either way. League was trying to rig this game too. What a scam. Fuck the NBA. 

Doc has got to go, but that was a pathetic performance by Embiid. Harden too, but that's just Harden being Harden. Embiid went 5-18 and got bodies all game by a 36 year old dude. Hopefully he stops politicing for MVPs and focuses on actually winning from now on. 

6 hours ago, Arakasi said:

Good point. Maybe in the 90s? 

Just took a bit of a deep dive into NBA stats. Since 1990 the only reigning MVP to have a worse elimination game than Embiid is arguably David Robinson in 1995, but that was at least in the conf finals, and Robinson probably had more of an impact than Embiid did last night. 

Minus 28 and minus 30 for Embiid and Harden is just...disgusting. 

Edited by Relic

16 hours ago, DMC said:

Its not possible to eliminate or even significantly reduce, but there might be some low hanging fruit that can be picked.

For example, how about making use of the cameras to assist the referees? Think there are a bunch used for stat gathering, can delegate stuff like determining if the shot is behind the three point line or not, goaltending, out of bounds. Not sure how feasible it is, but could provide some consistency and free up the little bit of focus used on these. 

Or if the above is not possible, at least be able to quickly clip and display the last three seconds when the whistle is blown. Finding the camera with the correct angle shouldn't be too hard with practice and wouldn't necessarily delay the game more than players making their case. 

Or maybe just adding another referee so they don't have to cover as much space and as many players.

I recognise that the above won't address the main complaint like missed calls or bad calls, but hopefully making it easier for the referees can improve their performance. They already have a lot on their plate with having to determine things quickly in real time when the action is fast. 

14 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'm pretty scared of the Heat. Butler is kinda what I hope Tatum will grow into.

Don't get to watch the East games much, but my impression is that Tatum is already better, at least skills wise.