Football: Lamping on towards the finish line.

21 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

It's Arteta for me. There have been a lot of 'Arsenal didn't bottle it, they had a really good season' articles over the last few days but they're kind of both true, they did bottle it a bit and they've also had a really good season. The thing for me though is Arsenal are going to end up about 10-15 points better than most people expected them to be this year. Winning the Champions League would be the big thing for City but in the league they're probably about par. De Zerbi's done really well but it's a combination of him and Potter for the season. Howe's done well but potentially making the Champions League is a bit of a combination of Newcastle improving and Liverpool and Chelsea having big drop offs.

I agree re Arteta having the biggest achievement/improvement, i just don't see how 2nd in the league beats a treble (assuming it happens). 

TBF Newcastle are in with a reasonable shout of getting a points total that would be ECL qualifying in most of the past 10 years.  Chelsea and Liverpool may have dropped off, but Man Utd and Arsenal have stepped up so its a bit of a wash.  

Think Ten Hag is a bit harshly left off, reasonable chance of 2 cups and 3rd in the league, also with a 10-15 point increase on previous season.  Probably should have had the nomination over Emery/Silva (extra points for fucking owning Ronaldo). 

Edited by BigFatCoward

It's going to be Haaland. That seems like an obvious one to me. If not then either Saka or Odegaard, surely.

Manager of the year is a bit more difficult. Marco Silva has also done a great job with Fulham who are 3 points away from achieving their highest ever points total in the Premier League. Arteta has taken a big stride with Arsenal. I'd give it to Guardiola - winning the league + an FA Cup final and Champion's League final is a great season even if they don't end up with the treble (most likely they will though so there'll be no argument).

Edited by Consigliere

Main player list

De Bruyne, Haaland, Kane, Trippier, Odegaard, Sako, Rashford.  One of those players is not like the others - 2 good months does not a player of the season make.  

Personally i'd go De Bruyne > Haaland > Odegaard.  Though the influence Trippier has had on Newcastle is immense. 

Also, when did we change from 6 on the shortlist?

Edited by BigFatCoward

Er, De Zerbi might be overthinking this a bit. There’s 3 games left in the season, why are you resting Mac Allister and Colwill in a key game?

ETA: Yeah, this isn’t going well.

Edited by ljkeane

34 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Er, De Zerbi might be overthinking this a bit. There’s 3 games left in the season, why are you resting Mac Allister and Colwill in a key game?

ETA: Yeah, this isn’t going well.

De Zerbi masterplan to guarantee Newcastle top 4 to persuade Mac Allister not to leave for Liverpool. 

Edited by polishgenius

14 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Brighton aren't going to be doing us any favours 

We'll just have to rely on United bottling it! :P

Jesus (and Manchester) wept. ;)

You have to rely on Lampy for help.