Football: Lamping on towards the finish line.

Ah, lower league football.

Ref in Bryne match has just decided to book our left wing back for ... being hit on the nose with an elbow. He's bleeding from said nose, so no doubt about it, but ref is adamant. VAR-like desicion.

Relieved we won that especially given how poor we've been away from home. Our forwards (aside from Rashford) have been fucking useless this season. 52 goals in 36 games is a poor return. Unlike the season with LVG where we struggled badly to create chances and could barely produce shots at goal, this season we've been decent at creating chances but the forwards have been wasteful.

So that’s Forest safe and City officially Champions.

I know Arsenal don’t really have anything to play for but this is becoming a really bad finish to the season now. They want to be careful it doesn’t become demoralising enough to have a knock on effect on next season.

Our finish last season had a pretty good effect on this season, I'd say

We looked pretty toothless against Forest. Depth is an obvious issue but you can't give away a goal like that when you know Forest's only plan is to sit back

5 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I don't know about pressure off, a win for Leeds puts them right back in the bottom 3.

Leeds and Leicester both have games against tough teams: West Ham, Spurs and Newcastle, I think, between the pair of them.  While Everton has Bournemouth.

Mathematically, Everton can still go down, and Leeds or Leicester could get random results when opponents have nothing left to play for, but I think the point Everton grabbed today will keep them up.

Like I said, it really should have been Brazzo himself to get the sack, but he will likely be the one left standing, with Kahn getting dismissed at the end of the season.

Anyway, came here for something else. Big Story of the Bundesliga Weekend is the confirmed drop of Hertha BSC and its financial woes. They mismanaged their finances fitting for a club representing the city state of Berlin. So atm they are not even sure, whether they will get a license for Bundesliga 2 next season. If not, they will drop straight into the fourth tier. 

Their financial problems were already sizeable back in 2019. So they sold off club shares to an investor, Windhorst (Tennor Group). His initial investment were 175m. Their aim was to get the club back into Europe, and as the football club of (West) Berlin, he felt there was a lot of potential. This silly Big City Club moniker started there. He got a bunch of really flash fools and grifters to provide their expertise. Klinsmann. Then the tripple crown winner of arseholery (covid denying, homophobia and racism) Jens Lehmann had a short lived gig, before the token black scandal broke. Then we had covid came, and he had to up his investment to keep the club afloat (they failed to make it to Europe). So overall the volume of his investment ballooned to something like 375m. A lot of that was needed to serve debts, and not to improve the footballing side of business. He then got into a public pissing contest with the club for the better part of the last two seasons. It was really Monty Python stuff, involving an Israeli PI agency digging up dirt on the former club president (no, I am not making this up!). The club president and board of executives in turn making fun of him during the shooting of an image film, those bits were ofc meant to be cut, but found their way into the public anyway. Then they brokered an uneasy peace, only for him to show up at the Bild youtube channel to reignite the feud in the midst of last season relegation battle. Something had to give, so Hertha's club president resigned and the election of a new saw Kay Bernstein emerging victorious. Bernstein is a bonafide Hertha fan, and he was really carried to a big degree by votes from their organized fan scene. Windhorst wanted another ticket to win that election. Then the story with the Israeli PI agency broke (no, I am still not making that one up), and that has lead to Windhorst expulsion from the club. Hertha was again in the midst of relegation battle this year. They sacked Bobic, whom they poached from Eintracht Frankfurt at the beginning of last year. Windhorst put his shares on the market, ofc Hertha didn't have the cash to buy back the shares, so they signed off on Windhorst selling his shares to 777 partners (yes, Evertons new owners), with Bernstein explaining it was either this or administration (which is still possible). The CFO who was in his post for years, but also favored the other ticket to win the club election, resigned publicly criticising Bernstein and his other executive board colleagues for selling off the club without looking for alternatives. Bernstein faced a few motions of no confidence (some of which contained very unsavory language), which he beat. But since the CFO resigned just 2-3 weeks before the annual club meeting, thus giving Bernstein too little time to find a new candidate, the board of executives consist now of 6 people, but their club statues say minimum number has to be 7. So they either have to change that, or hold special meeting in a few months to vote in another board member. No, idea what they chose. Oh, the guys they brought in to replace Bobic, were the folks Bobic kicked out, so they have a go at blaming him for their sporting demise. 

Long story short, that club is a total mess, with a significant chance, that they will not meet the requirements for the licensing process for next season (50-50 chance). So if you find 1-2 players you like (Lukebakio), they are very open to offers, as they really need to generate some revenue rather quick. I think their budget has a whole of the size around 80m € or so.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

Did not bother watching that. No interest in seeing the biggest cheaters in the history of English football being rewarded.

A lot of journos are busy wanking themselves to death over this shithole club though. Wish they would show the same energy towards Man City as they did towards the Super League. City Football Group is a cancer to football.

Edited by Consigliere

I see, Mainz continues to play football under the premise, you play for nothing, you ask for nothing, and that's precisely what you get. Stuttgart were probably happy with this turn of events.

Some movement in the relegation zones this weekend.

Hertha confirmed dead (check above).

Schalke and Bochum were relatively happy with their draws. In a relegation battle every point counts. Stuttgart decided to go for three points and three extra goals instead to boost their survival hopes to leapfrog Schalke and Bochum.

Hoffenheim more or less secured their survival by stuffing Union. Leaving them three points clear, with a much better GD. That also opened the door for Freiburg a tiny bit wrt CL qualification. It's really just GD between them and Union now.

Augsburg on the other hand find themselves in proximity to the relegation zone all of a sudden.

14.Augsburg 34p -16

15.Stuttgart  32p -12

16.Bochum   32p -35 (play-off spot)

17.Schalke    31p -34

18.Hertha     26p -28

Augsburg won't drop directly, as their GD is not anywhere near as miserable as Schalke. But the play-off spot is now very much back on the table. A draw against Dortmund and they are safe, and they are somewhat decent at home. They could probably get that final point next WE at Gladbach, since they have been drifting through the league for a while now. But why tempt fate?

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

Really feel for Vini - via google translate

It wasn't the first time, nor the second, nor the third. Racism is normal in La Liga. The competition thinks it's normal, the Federation does too and the opponents encourage it. I'm so sorry. The championship that once belonged to Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Cristiano and Messi today belongs to racists. A beautiful nation, which welcomed me and which I love, but which agreed to export the image of a racist country to the world. I'm sorry for the Spaniards who don't agree, but today, in Brazil, Spain is known as a country of racists. And unfortunately, for everything that happens each week, I have no defense. I agree. But I am strong and I will go to the end against racists. Even if far from he