Football: Lamping on towards the finish line.

11 hours ago, Mexal said:

So, let's check. Disgusting neck tattoos, had to apologize for using the n-word, can't score a goal for love nor money, and now this.

What a classless little prick. So glad we didn't sign him. Chelsea is the perfect club for him. Worst transfer in PL history.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Toney was betting against his own team, it should have been a much much longer ban. 

That's pretty bad. Though, in his defence, not in any games he played in.

I think the FA have got this wrong. Dude has a gambling addiction. And whose fault is that, I hear you say. Well, I'm sure his addiction has nothing, absolutely nothing at all, to do with the saturation of gambling adverts in football. 

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

I think the FA have got this wrong. Dude has a gambling addiction. And whose fault is that, I hear you say. Well, I'm sure his addiction has nothing, absolutely nothing at all, to do with the saturation of gambling adverts in football. 

Well, it's mainly his fault. Sure, those adverts don't help, but there are too many other players that don't have a gambling addiction to say those adverts are to blame.

Football should offer players amnesty in wake of Ivan Toney betting ban

If you stick a betting company logo on a young man’s shirt, beam his image around the world for 90 minutes every week and prop up the media coverage for his sport with a welter of gambling ads, then be prepared to shoulder your share of the blame if he can’t resist the temptation to break the rules and have a flutter himself.

Whichever side of the gambling debate you sit on, you can still view Ivan Toney’s eight-month ban from football as excessive.

The club and the league should help him battle his addiction but let's not get carried away here.

The league and the FA should definitely consider banning betting companies from sponsoring football clubs. Hell, they should've banned them before they even started doing it, but even if that happened, betting companies would still be in business. Taking them out would require legislation that is outside of football organisations' jurisdictions.

Also, while I doubt that Toney is the only player betting on football I'd assume that the vast majority of players is not doing it, so it's not as if that image on the shirt is brainwashing them or anything like that.

Players have always had gambling problems. It's far more to do with the excess salary and free time than advertising. 

I will say that gamblers are the worst junkies I've ever come across. Worse than alcohol and drugs by far. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I will say that gamblers are the worst junkies I've ever come across. Worse than alcohol and drugs by far. 

I had a brief twitter disagreement with a woman the other week coz she (an American with, as far as I could tell, no actual interest in football as a sport) bet on Dwight McNeil to get two shots on goal, and was kicking off because she said that was subjective and his play for Jason Steele's own goal should have counted as one. 

You know, the cutback that went backwards to bounce off Steele into the net.