Mental Wellbeing 3 - Can we fix it?

Toth

34 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

There is no reason to be depressed about the phone person, everyone in RL and here has told you that you dodged a bullet.  Be happy  1) you dodged a bullet before you were really invested and 2) you have RL and virtual friends who give good advice and care.  A lot of people don't even have that.

Fair points, but I've been depressed for the overwhelming majority of my life. I've found escapes over the years. Playing sports was one, but those days are over. Being a criminal for a number of years was another, but again, that's in the past. Oddly school always gave me joy. However for the most part since then it's been being in a relationship with a good woman and buddy I've been mostly failing at that for a long time now. 

Sigh. Went to the dentist for a regular cleaning. The one large filling I have broke. Eating is going to suck for a few days. Thankfully I've got an appoint Tuesday morning. Will one freaking thing go right for me sometime soon...

7 hours ago, Bironic said:

I struggle with depression and anxiety and wanted to ask if anyone here had any experience treating these with psychedelic drugs (LSD, Psylocybin, etc.) 

Well, I wouldn't say "treatment" as such, but yes, I have experience dealing with those drugs.  I think what I would suggest is doing the "microdosing" I keep on hearing about.  In that way, I think they really could be beneficial.  I used them recreationally years ago and..it worked in the end for the most part.  BUT, there's a big caveat there.  I say that for the same reason I would say it for many pharmaceuticals - you do not want to get addicted to these drugs.  I've seen it happen, and it's very bad.  Talk about mental wellbeing.

9 hours ago, Bironic said:

Hi 

I struggle with depression and anxiety and wanted to ask if anyone here had any experience treating these with psychedelic drugs (LSD, Psylocybin, etc.) 

If it’s certified for professionals to do in your country, I would suggest going that route.  Dosage and setting are very important, as well as having someone trustworthy and experienced to do pre-work, help during, and the integration piece after, if you’re truly looking for therapeutic treatment.  

There are people who have had transformative experiences from recreational psychedelic use, but depending on what is happening with you personally and your own brain chemistry, it’s a crapshoot - people with family history of heavier disorders (schizophrenia/bipolar) are at risk of it being a triggering event for them.  I’ve had my highest highs and my lowest lows on psychedelics, and came out OK. But also had a friend run out onto an active highway shoeless from a house, thinking he was being hunted.

Not normally a recommended source of mental health advice but there’s a comedian named Neal Brennan, “Blocks” on Netflix, that talks about a lot of the routes he tried using for his depression, including the good and bad of psychedelics, that I thought was pretty accurate.

Edited by VigoTheCarpathian
Sp.

On 5/28/2023 at 1:35 AM, Madame deVenoge said:

Given that many of us are in non-legal countries, you’re not likely to get a quick answer.

Little known fact:

In the UK, you can get a legal prescription for cannabis flower to treat depression and anxiety. 

I have been on daily 100mg Sertraline since 2016, to help manage what can be pretty debilitating anxiety. I don't like the side effects of this drug, and I have a zoom appointment with a cannabis-prescribing psychiatrist on Wednesday morning.

I am told they will probably prescribe a combination of flower and THC oil. 

Yesterday I came home from work and wasted six hours once again scrolling through mental health site posts in a weird haze as I was once again being drowned in crippling loneliness and continued to do so since waking up three hours ago. I hate myself so much, why can't I just be normal...

On 5/27/2023 at 2:52 PM, Bironic said:

Hi 

(to the forum moderators: in the country where I live in it’s legal for certified psychiatrists to treat people with these drugs) 

No experience from the legal psychiatric side of things, sorry.

Anecdotally, I did use them quite a bit recreationally as a teenager, and even though I was expecting this fun experience, it almost always turned into more of a spiritual journey/self-therapy session. I've never had what I would call a bad trip, but I did think quite a lot about my problems, fears, and insecurities. And I imagine that those thoughts, if dark and pervasive enough, could be the source of what people consider to be bad trips. If you're doing it legally and with a professional, you should be fine. Anyone considering the "traditional" route should definitely approach with caution. Better to think of it as something weighty and possibly risky, like a shamanic journey, as opposed to a fun little diversion. 

Anyway, in my experience, tripping granted a sense of perspective that did help with depression and anxiety. My experience with psilocybin was less serene, and more like an emotional rollercoaster, but again that would probably be different with a different dosage and in the care of a professional.

An alcoholic at the shared house I live in who's 95% nice, 4% dodgy, 1% completely crazy decided to set the fire alarm off and go on a screaming rant after a disagreement with one of the tenants that he'd apparently brooded and got drunker over. Things escalated, the neighbours came round and he made to attack one of them, they phoned the police. 

Things are quieter now. The police say he's calmed down, the other tenants are sounding calmer too, and maybe the rest of the night will be quiet. Unless he has more to drink and goes for an encore. 

Sigh. Things have been fairly decent here since Nightmare Tenant from Hell moved out at the end of last July. 

But it's not too bad. A few more months, and I'm off. Just feel sorry for anyone stuck in places like this with no other choice.

ETA: And he went off again, this time with a hammer. Only a window was hurt thankfully. I'm staying the night in a hotel since he disappeared before the police arrived a second time. Glad I finished my book before all this nonsense. 

Edited by dog-days

• 3 months later...

I talked about this yesterday in the cancer thread, but this probably should be posted here. My step-father fell again, third straight day, and he wouldn't try to get up. He was 6'4 (idk how tall he is now, maybe 6'2) and weighs somewhere between 250-300 lbs. A younger version of myself could have picked him up easily, but after all the health shit I've gone through over the last year I'm not nearly as strong as I use to be. I had to drag his ass to his bed and then lift him in. He didn't help at all and was muttering nonsensical and insulting shit the whole time. My body is screaming with pain since he was just dead weight. I watched my father quit on life and he's doing the same thing, both of them making it as miserable as possible on everyone around them. I can't take this much longer, but I also can't leave my mom alone to deal with this. So I remain stuck. FML. 

Sign, he fell again this evening and I couldn't be bothered to leave the FF draft I was in to help. Worse yet, earlier I took the keys to his nice ride and basically said it's mine now that my G35X is probably toast. I can be rotten at times. 

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Idk, I thought it was an interesting thing to talk about, just didn't bother to respond immediately. Frame what you were trying to say again.

Just remembering in the context of "he didn't help at all and was muttering nonsensical and insulting shit the whole time" how my dad, who was normally very quiet and softly-spoken, had a few sudden personality shifts for the worse during his last years with advanced Parkinson's. A couple of times it was from a medication he was given to raise his blood pressure; other times it was because he had a UTI. Once the medication was stopped/the UTI treated he went back to an approximation of his old self.

Anyway, all the best. It's rough. 

Edited by dog-days

I've been going through periods of time where I am exceptionally happy....and it doesn't bother me. I feel like my mental illnesses are going to fade away for a little. I am more chatty sometimes which is tremendous and it makes me feel like I am being a real person!   :thumbsup:   I am going to have to relax for now because sometimes I am all up in a tizzy and I get fussy. I believe I'm a wee little bit upset all the time, so I need to relax. But anyway, I am happy because I am laughing for several minutes and I cannot let the moment go because I was happy it ever happened - the moment, the laughter, the situation. I guess I can see the hope for me to just do better because I just needed to change my perspective on a few things. And since I went and changed that I am going to be able to go through with having a happy life    :P    

Ha. Just took 4 days into my annual visit with my father, and we ended up yelling “fuck you” at each other.  

Things have calmed down for now. We’ll see what happens in the morning. 

He’s such a fucking child. 

Edited by A True Kaniggit

• 1 month later...

Sigh... I am really bad at this holiday thing, am I? I keep falling back into bad old habits whenever I have lots of free time. And therefore time to think...

Right now I'm worried I'm back to reflexively saying no to what may be good opportunities to socialize as it happened at the very least two times in a row.

Remember my Dead by Daylight game group? I'm not sure I wrote it in this thread, but eventually I grew agitated about them ignoring my pleas for more teamwork (which, admittedly, probably just got perceived as more self-flagellating like before) and I made the decision to call quits, uninstall the game and leave their Discord server after a while since seeing them still only talking about the game and having fun weighed on me too much. A couple of weeks ago the one who invited me in the first place invited me all of a sudden to a new Discord. She said they are still playing only the same game, but they've gathered more people with other interests and I could probably connect with those. I felt like it was probably a bad idea to join that server, seeing them still play and yet not play with them, so I said no... and now of course am still a bit glum about having done so and maybe missed out on an opportunity.

Call forward to this week. One of the somewhat more social hobbies I picked up was cosplay and going to conventions in one, which I guess gives me more freedom to just be utterly nerdy in front of strangers. And yes, while I do it mostly to celebrate my favorite franchises (and hopefully be able to spread the love), I also do see it as an opportunity to break the ice and get into conversations about those franchises. Of course I am still extremely amateurish at it and it shows... so I was ecstatic getting invited to a What's App group about one of my (extremely niche) fandoms, but... got quite some anxiety when there was all of a sudden a call to a group meet-up at a convention I was already planning on attending. Particularly with two ultra professional girls in that group showing up. Aaaand... well, I guess luckily they both didn't show up, one of them cancelling far in advance, the other one just disappearing, so it was just me and three guys chatting, making a few photos... and them then disappearing with me not getting any of those photos despite asking for them in the chat. -.-

The next day I showed up in a different costume from a more mainstream franchise... only to discover that for some reason almost nobody was cosplaying characters from it and the two guys who did and I approached didn't recognize my character, since apparently that spin-off was still too niche. Dang it! XD A day later I suddenly saw in one of my Discords one girl uploading a photo in cosplay of that franchise at that same convention. I was flabbergasted and expressed it as such. Amusingly we already missed each other a couple of months ago at a different convention and I remember encouraging her to stick to this character as she was considering getting rid of that cosplay afterwards, but since then hadn't heard from her. She seemed quite bemused and all of a sudden suggested to meet up for a photo shoot instead of hoping for chance encounters like this... and admittedly, after I had spent two days complaining about how horrible my experience in this costume was and how I botched pretty much all my photos because I can't style a long-haired wig to save my life, I then looked at her super professional handiwork, panicked and reflexively turned her down, expressing I'd just ruin her pictures.

And now I'm sitting here, with two situations in a row where I apparently went back to saying no to what seemed like great opportunities and mulling about my apparent sliding back into habits I wanted to get rid of. The question is... how can I change? I tried saying yes to everything, but it seems an easy way to get anxious or resentful when things don't work out. Turning opportunities down on the other hand feels safe, but ultimately blocks my growth.