Silo (Apple TV series based on Hugh Howey’ “Wool”)(spoiler for show)

So I watched the first two episodes.  They’re sticking to the book fairly closely so far.  Even with the structure of the first two episodes.  The cast is excellent.  Rebecca Ferguson (Lady Jessica) as Juliette.  David Oyelowo as Sheriff Holston.  Tim Robbins as Bernard.  

The first two episodes captured the weirdness and mystery of the book quite well.  Hope the quality stays high.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Never heard of this book. The trailers made me think of Snowpiercer + Frostpunk, but underground instead of in the middle of an ice age. I may check the show out while I sill have AppleTV.

The book is called Wool.   You might know of it under that name?   I've heard of it, never read it.

Edited by SpaceChampion

Actually, Wool is just the first installment of the series. The other are Shift and Dust and they all form Silo saga. 

The book was quite thoroughly discussed here when it was being released by Howey. I liked it a lot. 

Edited by 3CityApache

I'm enjoying it as well. Both my wife and I read the books (well, I read the first two) and are impressed so far. My biggest issue:

Spoiler

The sense of scale isn't there. Going from the top to the bottom shouldn't be so easy - makes it hard for you to really get a feel for how different the lives are between the levels. Hard for a show like this when time is finite but would have liked the first trip or two down to take awhile with frequent breaks or something. That way it becomes clear how enormous this whole thing is. I mean, we're talking 125-150 levels! That's not a quick walk up and down.

8 minutes ago, Mexal said:

My biggest issue

Spoiler

I mostly agree. They said during Allison's first trip down, that she had to spend a night in a hostel or something, but showing such a descent is a real journey would probably be better than just mentioning it. 

Not sure we really need an episode about someone walking down 140 flights of stairs. Unless they get attacked by cannibals or some shit. 

I like this. Haven't read the books, so have no idea why they are living in this silo. Looking forward to finding out more. 

I’m not suggesting that. But show her out of breath and stopping at the hostel or show her walking up a flight or two and then say “those 50 floors are killing me”. It ain’t that hard to show scale rather than Allison going up and down 100 floors in an afternoon. 

Sure. But, as a non-book reader, I think they've done a pretty good job establishing the sheer enormity of the thing. I mean, it looks fucking massive. 

Me and my brother have already said, a few times, how glad we are we do not have to deal with so many stairs. We lived on the fifth floor of a council block with no lifts for ten years. That was bad enough. 

I watched the first episode and was surprised of how much I liked it because I'm generally tired of the dystopian stories where some evil government is keeping the people subdued. But the go outside to clean angle has me intrigued. Solid acting all around.

The sets are pretty good, even if at times you don't quite get the scale and have to rely on the dialogue. But that was good enough for me to understand the size and scope of this world. That shot of the generator at the end made it pretty clear. The porters with their large backpacks of deliveries was another element I liked which indicated the scale of the silo.

Are there no elevators in the silo? At least for cargo transportation.

So is the first book called Wool because of the suits they wear when going outside? That didn't seem like it was wool.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I thought Allison said something to the effect of she will remove her wool once she realizes it's all good. I understood that to mean she will remove her helmet or suit.

No, I believe she said she wouldn't clean if it was a toxic wasteland out there, but would clean if it wasn't.

I haven't read the book but my theory is they're putting poision in the suits, so to survive you need to immediate remove the helmet.

2 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

No, I believe she said she wouldn't clean if it was a toxic wasteland out there, but would clean if it wasn't.

I haven't read the book but my theory is they're putting poision in the suits, so to survive you need to immediate remove the helmet.

Close… but no cigar.

Watched the first episode and enjoyed it. I haven’t read the books. About the start the second episode. 

I think the first episode peppered in enough hints like her needing a hostel to get down there, taking a whole day to get to the bottom levels near the generator(?)