Surviving Westeros

Curled Finger

If I could choose a region to live in Westeros it would be the warmer climates, though I probably love the northern people and culture the best.  Thinking about this it occurred to me that if I was really there and I was lost the only place I could really find my way around is the Riverlands.  I've been there twice with Arya, twice with Cat, once with Jamie, twice with Brienne, probably more.   I know more people and places there than anywhere else.  I know where to go and what to avoid.   I suppose I could find the Sept of Baelor and the Hightower, but why would I want to?  Everything I would need is right there in the Riverlands.  Where would you be able to survive in Westeros?  

51 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Where would you be able to survive in Westeros?  

I mean I'd be dead so fast without modern meds and tech (unless I was cultured differently) but the Crownlands (in King's Landing) or the Reach seem the most, I don't know, hospitable? I'd be near freshwater, relatively passive lords in the Reach, plenty of food, good commerce, lots of artists and tourneys, and I'd feel safe under the Tyrells and the Hightowers. Plenty of smaller houses to marry in to, and a week's ride from the maesters for healing. I really prefer cities, and I would not want to live in the cold White Harbor, or in Gulltown with Baelish as my lord, so Oldtown's kind of the spot. 

6 hours ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Westeros is a bleak place.  Bravos or Lys would be preferable. 

Wait a minute.  You even have a name from Westeros.  I get preferable.  Bravos sounds like a cool place, but I doubt I could find my way around the block.  I don't know a lot about Lys, other than the beautiful people there I would have to pay for a good time.  But Bravos?  Their customs are so strange.  You would have to be careful what you wear...really careful about who you upset with the HoB&W right there....

2 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Bravos sounds like a cool place, but I doubt I could find my way around the block. 

Your fluent in the language though, although the same can be said about Valyrian Dothraki and common. Even ghiscari I read it as well as English! (Although ghiscari names are more like guess work)

I don't know a lot about Lys, other than the beautiful people there I would have to pay for a good time.

What else do you need to know?

But Bravos?  Their customs are so strange.  You would have to be careful what you wear...

I think as long as you don't open carry yould be fine. Which is like, not the worst advice.

really careful about who you upset with the HoB&W right there....

Oh yea. You wouldn't catch me dead at the house or black and white

12 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

If I could choose a region to live in Westeros it would be the warmer climates, though I probably love the northern people and culture the best.  Thinking about this it occurred to me that if I was really there and I was lost the only place I could really find my way around is the Riverlands.  I've been there twice with Arya, twice with Cat, once with Jamie, twice with Brienne, probably more.   I know more people and places there than anywhere else.  I know where to go and what to avoid.   I suppose I could find the Sept of Baelor and the Hightower, but why would I want to?  Everything I would need is right there in the Riverlands.  Where would you be able to survive in Westeros?  

Riverlands is cool! Probablyy favorite kingdom too, but like you say, it feels like home. I'm still pretty sure I'd get lost in a second though, even with a map. I mean, I can read, so I've got one step ahead of hot pie, but idk. It's definitely a chill land, everyones friendly! Once they decide your not an outlaw though. Not many outlaws we meet, but every stranger we come across instantly assumes we are bandits. Paranoid lot, best not to open carry either. Plus, small kingdom but that's relative, whats the square acreage? Something resembling Texas, I reckon. Fucking massive I'll need like five maps.

Speaking of needing maps, it's not that big, even relative, but boy is it confusing.

The Red Keep, brought to you by architects on drugs. It's like a game of clue, I'm definitely too tall to fully experience the ride but maybe if I bring some sort of hammer. 

But it's really about the other side of the wall. We know it too, no map needed. There's the godswood, there's the throne room, there's the tower of the hand oh no I'm sorry theres the pile of ashes, it's like we're there! Keeping pace with Cersei. 

1 hour ago, Hugorfonics said:

Your fluent in the language though, although the same can be said about Valyrian Dothraki and common. Even ghiscari I read it as well as English! (Although ghiscari names are more like guess work)

What else do you need to know?

I think as long as you don't open carry yould be fine. Which is like, not the worst advice.

Oh yea. You wouldn't catch me dead at the house or black and white

Riverlands is cool! Probablyy favorite kingdom too, but like you say, it feels like home. I'm still pretty sure I'd get lost in a second though, even with a map. I mean, I can read, so I've got one step ahead of hot pie, but idk. It's definitely a chill land, everyones friendly! Once they decide your not an outlaw though. Not many outlaws we meet, but every stranger we come across instantly assumes we are bandits. Paranoid lot, best not to open carry either. Plus, small kingdom but that's relative, whats the square acreage? Something resembling Texas, I reckon. Fucking massive I'll need like five maps.

Speaking of needing maps, it's not that big, even relative, but boy is it confusing.

The Red Keep, brought to you by architects on drugs. It's like a game of clue, I'm definitely too tall to fully experience the ride but maybe if I bring some sort of hammer. 

But it's really about the other side of the wall. We know it too, no map needed. There's the godswood, there's the throne room, there's the tower of the hand oh no I'm sorry theres the pile of ashes, it's like we're there! Keeping pace with Cersei. 

Ghiscari???  I guess I could grunt, and make noises from the back of my throat right?  

Point well taken, Lys is looking better and better.

I'm liking approaching Lady Smallwood with an idea for opening a day spa for wayward ladies.  She's got talent, I tell you.  I think you've got it all wrong about the Riverlands, this is the place for bandits and outlawa, the more the merrier.  The Riverlands will take 'em from everywhere.  I think it's just a long stretch of land from east to west.  Shouldn't be too hard to navigate so long as I don't depend on Arya or Brienne to get me anywhere quickly.  Not necessarily where I want to be, but I think I could find my way around.

Best of luck in the capital.  Don't hang out with any singers, Man, they seem to all end badly there.  Maybe you can get a gig in the Red Keep and steal a sit down in Mace's cool Hand chair!  

20 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Ghiscari???  I guess I could grunt, and make noises from the back of my throat right?  

Lol Tyrion says you have to talk like you've got a bee up your nose, whatever that means.

There was a thread here like maybe a week ago about translating ghiscari names. Very cool, but unfortunately I don't think the thread lives very long. (I am far too stupid to add any type of insight there)

23 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I'm liking approaching Lady Smallwood with an idea for opening a day spa for wayward ladies.  She's got talent, I tell you.

Oh yea she's great. Make your money

23 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

I think you've got it all wrong about the Riverlands, this is the place for bandits and outlawa, the more the merrier.  The Riverlands will take 'em from everywhere.  I think it's just a long stretch of land from east to west.  Shouldn't be too hard to navigate so long as I don't depend on Arya or Brienne to get me anywhere quickly.  Not necessarily where I want to be, but I think I could find my way around.

Well better then Brienne no doubt. However she did take the scenic route.

Riverlands does sound fun though, I agree it's got a little bit of everything 

25 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Best of luck in the capital.  Don't hang out with any singers, Man, they seem to all end badly there. 

As opposed to Bael or Marillion? Bards have a short and violent life in all of Westeros, but much more fun

26 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Maybe you can get a gig in the Red Keep and steal a sit down in Mace's cool Hand chair!  

Hell yea! Or fuck it, I'll just steal the whole chair