Tyrion is Tywin’s son - it’s in the eyes

James Steller

2 hours ago, James Steller said:

Agreed! For several reasons too.

First, Tyrion’s arc and storyline would be undercut and cheapened if he were to get an out like “oh yeah, Tywin isn’t your dad after all, have a dragon to ride!” (Seriously, why is everyone so obsessed with having Tyrion fly a dragon?)

Second, the twins are far more Targaryen like than Tyrion ever was. Cersei is compared to the Mad King several times, there’s the incest factor, and there’s the delicious twist that Jaime isn’t just a kingslayer, he’s also a kinslayer.

thirdly, it’s the perfect punishment for Tywin. All those years of expecting the best from his twin kids, favouring them over Tyrion, whom he’s always loathed for being his son, wishing he could disown Tyrion or prove that he’s not legitimately his son… it’s perfect that Tyrion proves to be Tywin’s only son, while the twins aren’t biologically his after all. Hell, maybe Tywin always knew it too, which would only enforce his hatred of Tyrion. Anything so that horrid monster suffered. 

Yeah, exactly. I don’t necessarily think the twins get more interesting by being Targs, but I can see some potential..but I’m fine with them as Lannisters too and overall my preference is no more secret Targs. Whereas Tyrion imo as you say, it just undercuts almost everything, and adds…dragon-riding?

Now to be fair I can see why some think that of him, the dragon dreams thing, but there are hints for the twins too and imo George is quite happy dropping false leads. But the twins zeal about being Lannisters, compared with Tyrion’s mixed feelings, Cersei in particular constantly comparing herself to Tywin, and yeah, Tywin’s rejection of what would be his only actual child, for a guy obsessed with legacy/family. Yeah. Plus of course none of us want Tywin to get what he wants, even posthumously.

Jaime is imo the most indifferent, at least in conscious thought, about Tywin, though of course he’s left his mark on all of them. But it does stand out once we get inside his head how little he thinks about Tywin or what Tywin would think beyond sort of general authority figure. Especially considering how much Tyrion and Cersei do. And I wonder sometimes about how much his aspirations were almost all about things like fighting and being a knight, that Tywin kind of sees as an underling’s job or ~ for suckers, though he does seem to derive pride from Jaime’s prowess. On the other hand he’s probably got the least Targ hints, too.

Cersei, well, her delight in the flames when she burned the Hand’s tower was the most ‘on-screen’ clue of any of them…maybe if we saw a Tyrion dragon dream instead of just references to it, that might stand out more, but mostly if I think of that it’s with apprehension, I just don’t want George to go that way with him. Cheapens, exactly the right phrase. Not saying GRRM couldn’t make it work, but it just makes him a lot less interesting to me and leans into that ~ superhero comic or Jedi/skywalker feel he reflects sometimes, especially with Starks/direwolves and Targs/dragons. It also feels too much like compensation, which again nudges things towards a meritocratic..not the right word, but fair, maybe, just?…vibe that clashes with the overall feel, and that comes out elsewhere strongest with regards to the Stark kids (less so Sansa…no Lady) Dany and Jon and, if the story is going where I kinda think it’s going, Rhaegar. It looks better on dead characters, if you get me. 

edit: meant to add, the only character that actually gets more interesting if there are secret Targlions is Tywin. The fact that, as you say, he would probably have a much clearer idea of which it would be, and how he deals with that. Or doesn’t. 

Edited by James Arryn

13 hours ago, Daeron the Daring said:

Not really. 

There's simply no way Joanna and Aerys were having an affair, which does leave us with tbe option of him maybe (huge maybe) forcing himself on her.

But Joanna would definitely have no reason not to tell this to Tywin. It wasn't too long ago that Lyonel Baratheon rebelled against Aegon V because Prince Duncan broke his betrothal by marrying Jenny of Oldstones.

I would argue Tywin would, in this scenario, have the balls to rebel, or the guts to deal with Aerys another way.  There's also no reason to assume Joanna would be the kind of person to be silent about such a thing. If anything, it's the opposite, since she probably befited Tywin's woman ideal, making her having enough self esteem to not just do nothing about being raped, especially for their position.

Not true, Man,  you can't know how anyone will react to an attack.  Some talk about it, some just answer questions and some don't say a thing across the board all walks of life.  AWOIAF allows a small window of opportunity for Aerys and Joanna to have been together--a tourney at Casterly Rock?  When I have put myself in Joanna's place had this terrible thing happened I think I would have said nothing knowing my Lord husband would or should or could rebel against the crown.  Tywin wouldn't take that laying down.  A bedding is one thing, we are talking about something else.  

What I do find interesting is that AWOIAF specifically closes the door on the Jamie/Cersei possible Targ idea yet does allow for Tyrion.  As I said earlier, I am not invested in this as I don't think it matters for anything other than dragon riding maybe?  No one has given me anything else being a Targaryen dwarf is good for.   For what it's worth I think Cersei would have made a great Targaryen.  

26 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Not true, Man,  you can't know how anyone will react to an attack.  Some talk about it, some just answer questions and some don't say a thing across the board all walks of life.  AWOIAF allows a small window of opportunity for Aerys and Joanna to have been together--a tourney at Casterly Rock?  When I have put myself in Joanna's place had this terrible thing happened I think I would have said nothing knowing my Lord husband would or should or could rebel against the crown.  Tywin wouldn't take that laying down.  A bedding is one thing, we are talking about something else.  

What I do find interesting is that AWOIAF specifically closes the door on the Jamie/Cersei possible Targ idea yet does allow for Tyrion.  As I said earlier, I am not invested in this as I don't think it matters for anything other than dragon riding maybe?  No one has given me anything else being a Targaryen dwarf is good for.   For what it's worth I think Cersei would have made a great Targaryen.  

Caaterlt rock is the one place it wont happem ,its literaly the lions den.

Doesnt matter how big the royal entourage  is unless tywin permits it you dont leave alive.

4 minutes ago, astarkchoice said:

Caaterlt rock is the one place it wont happem ,its literaly the lions den.

Doesnt matter how big the royal entourage  is unless tywin permits it you dont leave alive.

Nothing wrong with your feeling here.  Just want to toss in we are discussing Aerys II, the Mad King.  Who will tell this man he can't go anywhere?  Considering we've never actually seen how things are run there, maybe safest to just leave it a blank.  Like I say, I don't care if Tyrion is or not.  It is the first idea I came upon in reading, that Tyrion may not be Tywin's child.  Can't see where it matters other than the folks who like to go on about how badly written it would be...Whatever Tyrion is he's a really interesting character, Lannister, Targaryan or Hill.  

48 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Nothing wrong with your feeling here.  Just want to toss in we are discussing Aerys II, the Mad King.  Who will tell this man he can't go anywhere?  Considering we've never actually seen how things are run there, maybe safest to just leave it a blank.  Like I say, I don't care if Tyrion is or not.  It is the first idea I came upon in reading, that Tyrion may not be Tywin's child.  Can't see where it matters other than the folks who like to go on about how badly written it would be...Whatever Tyrion is he's a really interesting character, Lannister, Targaryan or Hill.  

No one is gonna stop him going no..but with only  a few dozen guards + however many kg he brings vs tywins entire household guard  then yes he does decide if the king leaves alive or not thus raping her at casterly rock or anywhere in the westerlands is suicide.

But no storywise and  personality wise they are soo similar without even knowing it, tyrion is such a mini tywin and thats the well wrtitten  tragedy of it all !!! ...for tyrion if hed just bucked up his ideas a bit when tywin gave him real power hed have gotten the respect he wanted from his old man, for tywin he wanted to secure house lannister as a powerful and feared house...the heir to do that was right there and he couldnt see it !!!! Too similar and prideful to get along.

Flipside  be a targ/hill the timings all wrong for him and the twins...joanna was sent away to casterly rock after they wed thus aerys would have to have visted   where hed be watched like a hawk by a wary tywin and joanna.

21 hours ago, Daeron the Daring said:

Not really. 

There's simply no way Joanna and Aerys were having an affair, which does leave us with tbe option of him maybe (huge maybe) forcing himself on her.

But Joanna would definitely have no reason not to tell this to Tywin. It wasn't too long ago that Lyonel Baratheon rebelled against Aegon V because Prince Duncan broke his betrothal by marrying Jenny of Oldstones.

I would argue Tywin would, in this scenario, have the balls to rebel, or the guts to deal with Aerys another way.  There's also no reason to assume Joanna would be the kind of person to be silent about such a thing. If anything, it's the opposite, since she probably befited Tywin's woman ideal, making her having enough self esteem to not just do nothing about being raped, especially for their position.

He'd definitely do something - rebel, commit murder.. my point is Joanna doesn't want this, because he might not win. I would think that might be the leverage that made her submit, and/or keep quiet about being forced. This was at a time when as far as we know no-one else powerful was plotting a rebellion.

Also, she might be afraid that he would think she didn't resist hard enough or that he might regard her as less than perfect now, and reject her on some level. He is rather an extremist himself, after all. Being caught between Aerys and Tywin - not a comfortable place to be!

9 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Yeah, exactly. I don’t necessarily think the twins get more interesting by being Targs, but I can see some potential..but I’m fine with them as Lannisters too and overall my preference is no more secret Targs. Whereas Tyrion imo as you say, it just undercuts almost everything, and adds…dragon-riding?

Now to be fair I can see why some think that of him, the dragon dreams thing, but there are hints for the twins too and imo George is quite happy dropping false leads. But the twins zeal about being Lannisters, compared with Tyrion’s mixed feelings, Cersei in particular constantly comparing herself to Tywin, and yeah, Tywin’s rejection of what would be his only actual child, for a guy obsessed with legacy/family. Yeah. Plus of course none of us want Tywin to get what he wants, even posthumously.

Jaime is imo the most indifferent, at least in conscious thought, about Tywin, though of course he’s left his mark on all of them. But it does stand out once we get inside his head how little he thinks about Tywin or what Tywin would think beyond sort of general authority figure. Especially considering how much Tyrion and Cersei do. And I wonder sometimes about how much his aspirations were almost all about things like fighting and being a knight, that Tywin kind of sees as an underling’s job or ~ for suckers, though he does seem to derive pride from Jaime’s prowess. On the other hand he’s probably got the least Targ hints, too.

Cersei, well, her delight in the flames when she burned the Hand’s tower was the most ‘on-screen’ clue of any of them…maybe if we saw a Tyrion dragon dream instead of just references to it, that might stand out more, but mostly if I think of that it’s with apprehension, I just don’t want George to go that way with him. Cheapens, exactly the right phrase. Not saying GRRM couldn’t make it work, but it just makes him a lot less interesting to me and leans into that ~ superhero comic or Jedi/skywalker feel he reflects sometimes, especially with Starks/direwolves and Targs/dragons. It also feels too much like compensation, which again nudges things towards a meritocratic..not the right word, but fair, maybe, just?…vibe that clashes with the overall feel, and that comes out elsewhere strongest with regards to the Stark kids (less so Sansa…no Lady) Dany and Jon and, if the story is going where I kinda think it’s going, Rhaegar. It looks better on dead characters, if you get me. 

edit: meant to add, the only character that actually gets more interesting if there are secret Targlions is Tywin. The fact that, as you say, he would probably have a much clearer idea of which it would be, and how he deals with that. Or doesn’t. 

I don't think Tyrion being a dragon rider is too tacky for George. I mean the whole book is too tacky if you get sensitive about that kind of thing. A whole load load of schlock! Tyrion's Odyssey and talents and wisecracking inner conflicts are not diminished. As I said, I think he is mostly Tywin's son genetically, but with a Targ bloodline as in chimerism. Further, I don't think there would necessarily be any 'reveal' at all. I think this about a great many of the questions discussed on this site. As has been said before, GRRM probably didn't count in the books coming so slow, and being discussed so obsessively by fans. I think he'd plan them so that some readers would get it, not always on first read, and some wouldn't. After all the Lannisters already have an official drop or two of Targ blood.

By the way, Tyrion as a child dreamed of riding dragons if my memory is correct he didn't have prophetic dreams like Targs afflicted with foresight. I think that is what is referred to as dragon dreams but I might be wrong. But it is still is a hint.

I'd say Jaime isn't as obsessed with Tywin's approval or disapproval because despite the massive betrayal of Jaime joining the KG and becoming Aerys's hostage, Tywin has never wavered in loyalty to him, until Jaime rejects Tywin's suggestion of how he can leave the KG. Then he is hurt rather than angry. Jaime also thinks at some point that as soon as he held a sword (toy I presume) in his hand at age 4 he knew what he wanted to do. Jaime is not dumb but he is not a thinker, more a dreamer and romantic and athlete. It seems like he basked in Tywin's approval as a child whereas Cersei was aware that her's depended on being the picture of a pretty little lady - he was not someone she could take troubles or concerns to or just be a naughty child to. As for poor Tyrion, he has always known Tywin can't bear a Lannister being a dwarf and blames him for his mother's death. Of course he has issues!.

Anyway, interesting post. Of course I personally I think the hints re jaime and cersei being Targs are red herrings to draw attention away from Tyrion. And while Cersei may have enjoyed the burning of the Hand's Tower, let's not forgot the very much on page scenes of Tyrion discovering the old wildfire, and using it to wipe out a whole force of men, similar to what Aerys planned to do to KL. Although it also shows a Lannister trickster side.

Let's remember that Tyrion's mismatched eyes are not his only genetic oddity. He also has mismatched hair... and oh, yeah, he's a dwarf.

It's possible that Joanna was raped, and Tywin never knew about it. It would have happened during some short period of time when he was otherwise engaged; and she might have decided not to tell him, because she was afraid of what his rage might lead him to do.

On 5/16/2023 at 2:00 PM, astarkchoice said:

No one is gonna stop him going no..but with only  a few dozen guards + however many kg he brings vs tywins entire household guard  then yes he does decide if the king leaves alive or not thus raping her at casterly rock or anywhere in the westerlands is suicide.

But no storywise and  personality wise they are soo similar without even knowing it, tyrion is such a mini tywin and thats the well wrtitten  tragedy of it all !!! ...for tyrion if hed just bucked up his ideas a bit when tywin gave him real power hed have gotten the respect he wanted from his old man, for tywin he wanted to secure house lannister as a powerful and feared house...the heir to do that was right there and he couldnt see it !!!! Too similar and prideful to get along.

Flipside  be a targ/hill the timings all wrong for him and the twins...joanna was sent away to casterly rock after they wed thus aerys would have to have visted   where hed be watched like a hawk by a wary tywin and joanna.

Turns out it was not a tournament, but a funeral that brought Aerys to Casterly Rock and Lannisport for half a year.  

Before anyone was married or king it was rumored that Joanna lost her maidenhead and had an affair with Prince Aerys.

262 Tywin & Joanna wed.  Aerys takes liberties during the bedding.

Shortly afterward Rhaella dismisses Joanna from court and she returns to Casterly Rock.  Joanna seldom visits Kings Landing thereafter.

266 Twins born

267 Tytos dies.  Aerys takes Rhaegar and heads west with Tywin and stayed for about 6 months between Casterly Rock and Lannisport.

272 the great 10th anniversary Tournament is held in KL.  Joanna brings twins.  Aerys makes rude comments about Joanna's breasts.  Tywin Quits.  Aerys refuses.

273 Tyrion is born.

So I was mixed up on dates and places.  Looks like this thing may have happened in Kings Landing if it was going to lead to Tyrion.  

4 years between Joanna's dismissal from court and the birth of the twins leads me to believe she was in the Westerlands the entire time until presenting her children the year before Tyrion was born.  Basing this on Aerys' rude comment.  This lends itself to Aerys certainly wondering what she looks like now.  He specifically says something about ruining her breasts which indicates he has seen her breasts.  

Aerys was certainly crude enough to make a pass.  We know from Jamie's POV that Aerys was violent with Rhaella.  Smells suspect to me.  

1 hour ago, Curled Finger said:

Turns out it was not a tournament, but a funeral that brought Aerys to Casterly Rock and Lannisport for half a year.  

Before anyone was married or king it was rumored that Joanna lost her maidenhead and had an affair with Prince Aerys.

262 Tywin & Joanna wed.  Aerys takes liberties during the bedding.

Shortly afterward Rhaella dismisses Joanna from court and she returns to Casterly Rock.  Joanna seldom visits Kings Landing thereafter.

266 Twins born

267 Tytos dies.  Aerys takes Rhaegar and heads west with Tywin and stayed for about 6 months between Casterly Rock and Lannisport.

272 the great 10th anniversary Tournament is held in KL.  Joanna brings twins.  Aerys makes rude comments about Joanna's breasts.  Tywin Quits.  Aerys refuses.

273 Tyrion is born.

So I was mixed up on dates and places.  Looks like this thing may have happened in Kings Landing if it was going to lead to Tyrion.  

4 years between Joanna's dismissal from court and the birth of the twins leads me to believe she was in the Westerlands the entire time until presenting her children the year before Tyrion was born.  Basing this on Aerys' rude comment.  This lends itself to Aerys certainly wondering what she looks like now.  He specifically says something about ruining her breasts which indicates he has seen her breasts.  

Aerys was certainly crude enough to make a pass.  We know from Jamie's POV that Aerys was violent with Rhaella.  Smells suspect to me.  

So timeline wise it def rules out the twins. 

Seems.unlikely too that if hes insulting her at a tourney , the only time shes been near him in years and she has a full lannister guard compliment at this point  and  then shes given birth the year after  its very very unlikely tyrion could be his.

The impression seems to be that aerys lusted after her and wanted to take her , as much to humble tywin as her actual beauty but never got a chance. Friends at 1st it sees aerys was a weak paranoid man unnerved by tywins natural confidence,leadership and charisma...he clearly secretly feared him a little.

If hed raped joanna her and tywin are  supposedly too close for it to go unmentioned (hed have to get past her guard  too which would have led to a mini battle in the kl halls of KG vs lannsiter redcloaks) and hed ensure he destroyed the king regardless of cost.

6 hours ago, astarkchoice said:

So timeline wise it def rules out the twins. 

If hed raped joanna her and tywin are  supposedly too close for it to go unmentioned (hed have to get past her guard  too which would have led to a mini battle in the kl halls of KG vs lannsiter redcloaks) and hed ensure he destroyed the king regardless of cost.

Aerys definitely not being the twins' father was the big take away 1st time I read it.  

As for Tywin and Joanna being close...maybe.  You are pretty determined that Tyrion is not Targaryan.  That's fine.  As I look at the whole thing it is tenuous and written to defend Joanna.  It is as easy to jump to the conclusion that Aerys fathered Tyrion as not.   Aerys had opportunity.  This timeline is a little like the possession of Brightroar, got it sometime in the century before the Doom and lost it sometime in the century afterward.  The anniversary tourney could have been in January and could have been in December or any time in between.  We don't know when Tyrion was actually born.  

3 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Aerys definitely not being the twins' father was the big take away 1st time I read it.  

As for Tywin and Joanna being close...maybe.  You are pretty determined that Tyrion is not Targaryan.  That's fine.  As I look at the whole thing it is tenuous and written to defend Joanna.  It is as easy to jump to the conclusion that Aerys fathered Tyrion as not.   Aerys had opportunity.  This timeline is a little like the possession of Brightroar, got it sometime in the century before the Doom and lost it sometime in the century afterward.  The anniversary tourney could have been in January and could have been in December or any time in between.  We don't know when Tyrion was actually born.  

Dunno the whole aerys and joanna thing seems a huge stretch for 0 story payoff.

She goes to the tourney in  272 and hadnt seen aerys for years before and probably left within a day or so. Betwen the sheer number of guests and her personal guard thats a lot for old aerys to sneak past, it assumes joannna wanted it while nursing 2 kids or didnt disclose a rape ! We also know aerys loved to humiliate tywin at every step so would probably have relished telling how he cucked him 

Whereas in every pov tyrion demonstrates he is his fathers son and neither realise it! Tywins sister was right they are too alike to get along , the politicaly sharp and ruthless heir tywin wanted to keep casterly rock powerful and feared was right under his nose and he pushed him away!

Tyrion's Targaryen characteristics are not just the mismatched eyes which we have confirmed for two Targaryen offspring, one of which would be Tyrion's direct ancestor (Alyssa Targaryen), the other a child of another direct ancestor of Tyrion (Shiera Seastar).

But the other characteristic is his blond hair which is so blond that he can appear as white - which means his hair is literally closer to that of Targaryens like Maekar than the golden hair the Lannisters are famous for. Such an abberation might be easily missed in a Lannister who is expected to have fair hair ... but it is right there, for everybody to see. It is just overlooked often by the readership because Tyrion's hair is rarely described.

2 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Tyrion's Targaryen characteristics are not just the mismatched eyes which we have confirmed for two Targaryen offspring, one of which would be Tyrion's direct ancestor (Alyssa Targaryen), the other a child of another direct ancestor of Tyrion (Shiera Seastar).

But the other characteristic is his blond hair which is so blond that he can appear as white - which means his hair is literally closer to that of Targaryens like Maekar than the golden hair the Lannisters are famous for. Such an abberation might be easily missed in a Lannister who is expected to have fair hair ... but it is right there, for everybody to see. It is just overlooked often by the readership because Tyrion's hair is rarely described.

No, the Targaryens are famous for their gold-silver hair, not hair bleached white.  In fact we don’t have to look far to see another Lannister with white blonde hair:

Arya was paired with plump young Tommen, whose white-blond hair was longer than hers.

On 5/15/2023 at 3:28 PM, James Steller said:

Tyrion’s mismatched eyes prove that he is not a secret Targaryen.

Heterochromia iridium is a condition which causes two separate eye colours, and it’s often brought about in animals due to inbreeding. This would support that Tyrion is a result of two cousins: Tywin and Joanna.

Tyrion is a Chimera; he is both the son of Aerys and Tywin.

Heterochromia, having congenitally different colored eyes, hair, or skin pigmentation—is the only visual phenotypic cue indicative of genetic chimerism, and Tyrion possess two of these in his eye and hair coloring. For example, this genetics study's section on "When to Suspect Chimerism" is fairly clear:

In singletons, clinical clues include patchy skin pigmentation, as described by Lipsker et al. [2008], whose patient had bicolored skin pigmentation and another patient described by Gerard-Blanluet et al. [2008], who also had unusual pigmentary abnormalities, iris heterochromia and hemihypertrophy.

Chimerism requires the mother to release two eggs within a day of each other. This is precisely how fraternal twins, such as Jaime and Cersei, are created when the eggs do not fuse together. Fraternal twins run in families because double ovulation is heritable, and women who have one set of fraternal twins are more likely to have a second set of fraternal twins than the average woman. 

Aerys lusted after Joanna Lannister, he took “liberties” during the bedding when she and Tywin were married, and they may have been involved before either was married - she was at court as one of Rhaella’s companions. The timeline of events presented in AWOIAF makes it possible for her to have been in the same place as Aerys at the time of Tyrion’s conception.

GRRM has explicitly and specifically chosen to inform readers that; 
1. Tyrion has physical features consistent with chimerism.
2. Joanna was capable of double ovulation necessary for chimerism.
3. Aerys–Tywin–Joanna love triangle likely existed, all of which are necessary but not sufficient for Tyrion to be a heteropaternal chimera.

3 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

No, the Targaryens are famous for their gold-silver hair, not hair bleached white.  In fact we don’t have to look far to see another Lannister with white blonde hair:

Some Valyrian hair is silver-gold, and some only silver, i.e. white blond. That is the case for Maekar and perhaps also Jaehaerys' Aemon. The connection is there, although not every white-blond person would have Valyrian ancestors.

8 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Some Valyrian hair is silver-gold, and some only silver, i.e. white blond. That is the case for Maekar and perhaps also Jaehaerys' Aemon. The connection is there, although not every white-blond person would have Valyrian ancestors.

Sure there is variations in the darkness of blond hair.  The more blonde, the closer to white.  But that’s not just true for Targaryens, that’s true for anyone with blonde hair, including the Lannisters.

Some Lannisters have golden hair, some have blonde hair bordering on white.  Some Targaryens have gold in their hair, some have a lighter blonde merging on white, where the silver stands out.

It’s not really proof that Tyrion is Targaryen though, since his hair color is more easily explained through his Lannister heritage.

In fact this whole argument is a bit of a boot strapping.  Tyrion has never been described as having his “evil eye” the typical Targaryen color.  It’s never described as purple, or deep blue.  It’s always, always described as black.  

People have theorized that Tyrion may be part Targaryen due to Tyrion and Joanna’s stormy relationship with Aerys, and Tyrion’s own obsession with dragons.  As a result of that theory, some have theorized that Tyrion’s “black eye” is actually deep violet.  But it’s only a theory, not something that has been established in the books.  

Now, his eye is using this theory as “evidence” that Tyrion has Targaryen ancestry, which is literally the definition of a boot strapping argument.  

And the whole discussion doesn’t really take into account Tyrion’s black hair mixed in.  After all, none of Aerys’ descendants had black hair to our knowledge.

So the issue is, where did Tyrion get his “black eye” and his black hair?  

Edited by Frey family reunion

7 hours ago, maesternewton said:

GRRM has explicitly and specifically chosen to inform readers that; 
1. Tyrion has physical features consistent with chimerism.
2. Joanna was capable of double ovulation necessary for chimerism.
3. Aerys–Tywin–Joanna love triangle likely existed, all of which are necessary but not sufficient for Tyrion to be a heteropaternal chimera.

While I agree with most of what you said, I would argue that an Aerys-Tywin-Joanna love triangle may be overstating it a bit.  Outside of Rhaella’s possible paranoia with her Ladies, (which apparently was not limited to Joanna), and Aerys getting too handsy during the bedding ceremony, we don’t really have any evidence of a love triangle.  In fact the one time they come face to face in 272, Aerys publicly humiliates Joanna.  So it doesn’t appear that Joanna would have been terribly tempted by Aerys “charms” at this time.  I suppose it’s possible that Aerys raped her, and she held her tongue, but it seems unlikely in my mind.

3 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

It’s not really proof that Tyrion is Targaryen though, since his hair color is more easily explained through his Lannister heritage.

This is not 'proof'. It is just a fact that would be consistent with Tyrion turning out a Targaryen bastard fathered on a Lannister woman.

Ditto with the mismatched eyes which are confirmed for two Targaryens.

The biggest thing indicating this might be the case is both motive (Aerys lusting after Joanna) and opportunity (Joanna and Aerys being at the same place around the time Tyrion was apparently conceived).

Insofar as textual evidence is concerned, Tyrion being Aerys' son has actually more textual support than Jon being the child of Rhaegar and Lyanna. After all, somebody else raised Jon, he looks like Ned, and quite a few characters believe on what woman Ned fathered Jon.

Tyrion is even deemed a potential bastard by his own father. There are the dragon dreams, etc.

But there is no way to 'prove' this kind of thing until we have actual textual confirmation. However, once we have this a lot of clues will fall into place. Both Jon Snow and Tyrion Lannister work perfectly as 'hidden Targaryens'. Much better than any other character. And I'd even argue that Tyrion 'Targaryen' works even better than Jon 'Targaryen', since the revelation for him would likely come earlier and would have a stronger emotional and political impact. Jon as Rhaegar's son feels like a weird post script or epilogue to the story since his plot is very unlikely to have a big political relevance - in fact, this Targaryen thing could even undermine whatever political weight he might gain in the North as Lyanna Stark's (bastard) son's claim to Winterfell and the North would definitely much weaker than that of any trueborn child of Lord Eddard Stark.