On and On About Harry & Meghan Part 4

Fragile Bird

Racism has been a pervasive issue throughout history, and the United Kingdom is no exception. It is important to note that racism takes various forms and has impacted different communities over time. While it is challenging to select only five examples, here are five significant instances of racism in the history of England and the United Kingdom in the last 500 years:

1. Transatlantic Slave Trade (16th to 19th century): Although the slave trade was not limited to the United Kingdom, it played a significant role in perpetuating racism. British involvement in the transatlantic slave trade saw millions of Africans forcibly transported and enslaved, enduring unimaginable suffering and exploitation.

2. British Raj in India (1858-1947): While the British Empire extended across various regions, their colonial rule in India was marked by racial discrimination. British officials imposed policies that marginalized and oppressed Indians, treating them as inferiors based on race and reinforcing racist hierarchies.

3. Windrush Scandal (2018): The Windrush Scandal exposed the mistreatment of the "Windrush generation," individuals who arrived in the UK from Caribbean countries between 1948 and 1971. Many faced deportation, detention, and denial of rights despite being long-term UK residents. This incident shed light on the systemic racism faced by black British citizens.

4. Notting Hill Riots (1958): The Notting Hill Riots were a series of racially motivated attacks against the West Indian community in London. Fueled by racial tensions, white mobs targeted black residents, leading to violence, property damage, and injury. This event highlighted racial animosity and the struggles faced by minority communities in the UK.

5. Stephen Lawrence Case (1993 onwards): The murder of Stephen Lawrence, a black teenager, in 1993 became a landmark case in British history. The subsequent investigations and trials exposed institutional racism within the police force and led to significant changes in the criminal justice system. The case remains a symbol of the persistent challenges faced by racial minority communities in seeking justice.

It is important to recognize that racism is a multifaceted and ongoing issue, and these examples represent only a fraction of the experiences of racism in the history of England and the United Kingdom.

^_^

37 minutes ago, Week said:

Racism has been a pervasive issue throughout history, and the United Kingdom is no exception. It is important to note that racism takes various forms and has impacted different communities over time. While it is challenging to select only five examples, here are five significant instances of racism in the history of England and the United Kingdom in the last 500 years:

1. Transatlantic Slave Trade (16th to 19th century): Although the slave trade was not limited to the United Kingdom, it played a significant role in perpetuating racism. British involvement in the transatlantic slave trade saw millions of Africans forcibly transported and enslaved, enduring unimaginable suffering and exploitation.

2. British Raj in India (1858-1947): While the British Empire extended across various regions, their colonial rule in India was marked by racial discrimination. British officials imposed policies that marginalized and oppressed Indians, treating them as inferiors based on race and reinforcing racist hierarchies.

3. Windrush Scandal (2018): The Windrush Scandal exposed the mistreatment of the "Windrush generation," individuals who arrived in the UK from Caribbean countries between 1948 and 1971. Many faced deportation, detention, and denial of rights despite being long-term UK residents. This incident shed light on the systemic racism faced by black British citizens.

4. Notting Hill Riots (1958): The Notting Hill Riots were a series of racially motivated attacks against the West Indian community in London. Fueled by racial tensions, white mobs targeted black residents, leading to violence, property damage, and injury. This event highlighted racial animosity and the struggles faced by minority communities in the UK.

5. Stephen Lawrence Case (1993 onwards): The murder of Stephen Lawrence, a black teenager, in 1993 became a landmark case in British history. The subsequent investigations and trials exposed institutional racism within the police force and led to significant changes in the criminal justice system. The case remains a symbol of the persistent challenges faced by racial minority communities in seeking justice.

It is important to recognize that racism is a multifaceted and ongoing issue, and these examples represent only a fraction of the experiences of racism in the history of England and the United Kingdom.

^_^

Thanks for doing that, I know it must have taken you a lot of time and effort googling, copy pasting and typing it all out. I feel a bit bad that it was such wasted effort given how it doesn’t seem to be relevant, since nobody has said Britain has never done anything racist or has zero racism. But at least take heart that you fought racism today, from your computer. Bravo.

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Thanks for doing that, I know it must have taken you a lot of time and effort googling, copy pasting and typing it all out. I feel a bit bad that it was such wasted effort given how it doesn’t seem to be relevant, since nobody has said Britain has never done anything racist or has zero racism. But at least take heart that you fought racism today, from your computer. Bravo.

Many examples of violent racism within and without across the last several centuries but no "racial tension" (per HoI's definition which is undefined, ineffable, and only exists in his mind palace.)

Some really important "well actshually's" today from some folks enjoying showing their whole ass.

5 minutes ago, Week said:

Many examples of violent racism within and without across the last several centuries but no "racial tension" (per HoI's definition which is undefined, ineffable, and only exists in his mind palace.)

Some really important "well actshually's" today from some folks enjoying showing their whole ass.

Yes my defintion of ‘racial tension involves at least  2 groups of people living side by side, otherwise how can there be any tension in a country. Maybe Tywin meant to say ‘racist attitudes were prevalent’ and racist stuff happened within the empire.

Problem is, he didn’t say any of that. The US is a country with ‘deep racial tension’ spanning centuries, but that doesn’t apply to the UK, but then Tywin has a long history of conflating the US with the UK

6 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Since we’re busy picking nits, can someone find me the actual statement where Megan accused the royal family or member thereof of being racist?

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/royal-family/harry-royals-racist-oprah-meghan-b2258480.html

So what did the couple actually say during the interview nearly two years ago?

Asked a self-admittedly “loaded” question by Oprah about whether she believed the royal family allegedly hadn’t wanted their son Archie to be a prince “because of his race”, Meghan replied: “But I can give you an honest answer.

“In those months when I was pregnant ... we have in tandem the conversation of, ‘He won’t be given security. He’s not going to be given a title’, and also concerns and conversations about how dark his skin might be when he’s born.”

Telling an incredulous Oprah that “there were several conversations about it”, the duchess said that she would not reveal who had made the remarks, on the grounds that: “I think that would be very damaging to them.”

Pressed further, she added: “That was relayed to me from Harry. Those were conversations that family had with him ... It was really hard to be able to see those as compartmentalised conversations.”

Asked by Oprah whether the question about Archie’s skin colour was allegedly raised “because they were concerned that if he were too brown, that that would be a problem”, Meghan said: “I wasn’t able to follow up with why, but that — if that’s the assumption you’re making, I think that feels like a pretty safe one, which was really hard to understand.”

‘ I couldn’t possibly say whether they are racist or not’ WINK WINK WINK.

19 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Yes my defintion of ‘racial tension involves at least  2 groups of people living side by side, otherwise how can there be any tension in a country. Maybe Tywin meant to say ‘racist attitudes were prevalent’ and racist stuff happened within the empire.

Problem is, he didn’t say any of that. The US is a country with ‘deep racial tension’ spanning centuries, but that doesn’t apply to the UK, but then Tywin has a long history of conflating the US with the UK

Well thank goodness that you kicked a fit for such a nonsensical nit that is completely arbitrary and only identifiable if we're really getting into a gnat's as about it ...

... and utterly irrelevant to the fact that the British Empire is absolute expert-level racial tension globally (just not at home in it's, lily white island ... unless there happens to be a dirty Irish, Scot, Welsh, or -- even worse -- Catholic.) It must have been a lovely place for a non-white person for most of its history. 

13 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/royal-family/harry-royals-racist-oprah-meghan-b2258480.html

‘ I couldn’t possibly say whether they are racist or not’ WINK WINK WINK.

Nope. I want the primary source; not someone else’s inference or potential misquoting. Remember, we’re picking nits here Mr “99.9%”

Edited by Deadlines? What Deadlines?

49 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Why not all of the above? They were racist towards everyone under the British Empire and if you travelled to England best bet you'd experience racism even if you did everything to fit in (and as others have pointed out, even if you're now seen as someone who is white). This constant need to slightly shift the language is your tell as is your lack of desire to ever engage when presented with real information that goes against what you believe. You have a hurdle here you just want to avoid.

One of my favorite people in the world who I don't actually know is a black psychologist from England who has lived most of his life in or around London. He loves his country. He regularly had tea with the queen. I don't think he's ever met MM, but has met most of the royal family including both of the princes and the current king. And he won't hesitate to tell you the country is racist as fuck and as been for his entire life and that things currently are getting worse than they were when he was in his 30's a few decades ago. John Amaechi is nearly 7 feet tall and a former pro athlete yet he's often afraid to go out and about in London because he has a life time of experiences being harassed by little white cops who want to give him a hard time just because they can. That's what racism often looks like. Not the extreme examples, but the little ones to put fear in the others to let them know they're still not equal. 

Thank goodness the fools continue to broadcast their racism while simultaneously denying they are racists and there is not now, and hardly ever was, racism in the UK, doing it bravely from their computers where they are safe from the people they denigrate! :lol:

The British Royal family was directly responsible for Britain becoming a player in the Atlantic slave trade with the establishment of the Royal African Company by Charles 11 and the future James 11. The current Royal family aren't responsible for the misdeeds of their predecessors but, thanks to inherited wealth, they still benefit from those misdeeds. They might be seen as more credible anti-racists if they did more to acknowledged that past.

Meanwhile, Rupert Murdoch held his summer garden party attended by the PM, half the Tory party, the Leader of the Opposition, the Directors of MI5 and MI6 (ffs) and members of the King's inner circle, including his private secretary and Director of Communications - all lining up to kiss Rupert's sulphurous arse. Prince Harry's not wrong to question this kind of cosy relationship or to be a bit pissed off that his father's inner circle is so keen to cosy up to a media organisation that's happy to relentlessly attack Harry and his wife.

34 minutes ago, Wall Flower said:

The current Royal family aren't responsible for the misdeeds of their predecessors but, thanks to inherited wealth, they still benefit from those misdeeds.

This cuts both ways, doesn't it? As was noted in The Guardian last year, "It is difficult to estimate just how much of the current royal family’s wealth is owed to slavery, but it is understood that the profits of the slave trade funded the Treasury, as well as Britain’s industries, buildings, railways, roads and parks."

4 minutes ago, Ran said:

This cuts both ways, doesn't it? As was noted in The Guardian last year, "It is difficult to estimate just how much of the current royal family’s wealth is owed to slavery, but it is understood that the profits of the slave trade funded the Treasury, as well as Britain’s industries, buildings, railways, roads and parks."

I think most intelligent people are aware of how slavery contributed to the "Greatness" of Britain, despite our leaders' desires to have it all brushed it all under the carpet.

Liverpool, Bristol, Glasgow, to name but a few British cites literally built on the blood of Africans.

Edited by Spockydog

22 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I think most intelligent people are aware of how slavery contributed to the "Greatness" of Britain, despite our leaders' desires to have it all brushed it all under the carpet.

Liverpool, Bristol, Glasgow, to name but a few British cites literally built on the blood of Africans.

The other side of that coin is that Slavery was the global norm at the time and throughout all of history, there was nothing unusual about slavery at the time, it's just the sheer scale of it that changed. 

On top of that Britain was the first major power to outlaw the slave trade, and the biggest proponent of abolition, including the west africa squadron that hunted slavers.

So it's complicated isn't it. 

Yes, and it's complicated even further by British reluctance to entertain the idea of serious reparation.

And perhaps if we taught this stuff in schools, in all its diabolical horror, modern society would be a better place.

But, oh, no, no, no. Can't have our children learning the actual truth about our history because .... reasons.

Edited by Spockydog

Upper Canada…modern Ontario…got the jump on the empire by almost half a century, outlawing slavery back in the late 18th Century (in just their second session as a legislative body, the first having been entirely devoted to bureaucratic/technical aspects of forming a legislative body). 

Slavery had never really been much of a thing in Upper Canada…the highest recorded number of slaves in the province before the mass immigration of UELs was 15, of whom some were just in transit. Then the American Revolution happened and a bunch of loyalists…including ancestors of mine…flooded into Ontario, many bringing slaves (no idea if that includes mine) and almost overnight it went from 15 to over 500. This caused a great commotion and political unrest, and less than a decade after the Revolution ended, the Act Against Slavery was passed. Canada screwed over our native population…though nowhere near as brutally or comprehensively as our peers…but otherwise has pretty much been on the ‘right’ side of history for most of its existence, and has never started a war in it’s entire existence (unless you count the small Canadian company that was amongst the western nations that launched an unprovoked invasion of Russia during it’s civil war/revolution to back the Czar….an interesting if conveniently forgotten episode in modern history) 

Not a patriot, but I am proud of that. 

4 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

And perhaps if we taught this stuff in schools, in all its diabolical horror, modern society would be a better place.

But, oh, no, no, no. Can't have our children learning the actual truth about our history because .... reasons.

Slavery history lessons to be compulsory

If only. Thankfully the world is much much better 14 years after they did this isn't it.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Idk about that. In the US a lot of well educated white people will say slavery is bad, but they don't think they benefited from it nor do they think it's a contributing factor in black households having significantly less wealth. It's a large part of the current climate we're seeing. There's so much pushback to teaching these events in schools by parents and it's because they don't want to face reality. I'm sure the UK is in a somewhat similar situation.