HBO's Barry [Spoilers] - Selectively Listening to God

Veltigar

The latest episode had me in stitches. Fuches transformation into The Raven is just so hilarious. I also like what they are doing with Sally's character. It's a statement that in a series full of murders, there are few things I found as shocking as her giving her son vodka to knock him out.

Edited by Veltigar

58 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

The latest episode had me in stitches. Fuches transformation into The Raven is just so hilarious. I also like what they are doing with Sally's character. It's a statement that in a series full of murders, there are few things I found as shocking as her giving her son vodka to knock him out.

What I find interesting actually is Fuches, Barry and Sally have all 'acted' their way into becoming new characters. They've basically used 'the method' and just tried to change who they are. Especially with Sally you get the sense that playing a drunken waitress who is super depressed is a role she took on, but then became entwined with it. Barry created this idealised version of a father and acted his way into becoming it.

Fuches needed to BE the Raven in order to survive in prison, so that is what he did. Even Noho Hank is somewhat acting the part.

Its nice how there is this theme running through all the characters.

Edited by Heartofice

I love this show a lot and season 4 has been a blast. I do worry that the show might have peaked in season 2. The Ronny/Lily episode, had me in tears a few years ago. I was in tears when I saw it for the first time.

I was thinking one misstep the show made maybe was with Albert the war buddy turned FBI agent. I'm not sure I like how he just lets Barry go and then disappears off the show. 

I also wish they had more for D'Arcy Carden to do. Great character that the show has sadly mostly grown beyond. That little interview where she told her co-star how they almost fired here because she wasn't good yet was great. 

I don't know that I buy Jim Moss just leaving Barry to escape as he did... or at least I didn't, until I realized that he's probably setting it up so that he can kill Barry cleanly "in self-defense" or some such. We had the prior episode where the police captain begged Moss not to kill Barry if he found him first.

Fuchs embracing his role as the Raven, covered in prison tattoos, was and is hilarious. 

Edited by Ran

On 5/19/2023 at 10:22 AM, Veltigar said:

The thing I found the scariest this season, because it's also the most realistic, is that Natalie's crappy show actually became incredibly successful and "has defined a generation'.

Agreed. Very strong ending, and I admit

Spoiler

Making us sit through the highlights of The Mask Collector after Barry's death was so absurd and appropriate.

I have only one thing niggling at me...

Spoiler

Did they really have nothing on Barry but the possibility that he killed Janice? How in the world did he get a clean record and a burial with honors at Arlington? 

Spoiler

Yeah I thought at one point Fuches had given the cops information on Barry's hitman work. Plus tons of people knew becuase Fuches went around telling them Barry killed their loved ones. It's hard to imagine say Chris's wife wouldn't come forward with more context. 

But hey it was always an absurd show. 

11 hours ago, Ran said:

Agreed. Very strong ending, and I admit

Reveal hidden contents

Making us sit through the highlights of The Mask Collector after Barry's death was so absurd and appropriate.

I have only one thing niggling at me...

Reveal hidden contents

Did they really have nothing on Barry but the possibility that he killed Janice? How in the world did he get a clean record and a burial with honors at Arlington? 

Spoiler

I thought that they assumed Henry Winkler was the driving force behind the murders.

Speaking of, great show. Winkler stole it though. Basically any time he was on screen I was just waiting for his flip-flop personality to take over the episode. 

Great finale although it felt like just the final piece of the season as a whole rather than something special in of itself.

I think it was clear by the end that the shows themes centre around the stories that we tell ourselves about who we are and what we do. Pretty much all the main characters go through an arc where they attempt to create a narrative in their head about themselves that helps to mask who they really are.

It was pretty much made explicit by Fuches’ speech at the end, and I’m kind of sad we won’t see any more of him as I loved his presence this season. 

The movie ending of course is Barry’s son allowing himself to create a version of reality in his head of his dad that helps him get through the day and deal with events.

I guess what has been kind of a shame this season is that Barry himself was less of a character than the conduit for other characters to change, but then Barry has always been more of a mythical force of nature than a person. I guess I just would have liked to get more of him at the end, although Hader’s acting right before he was shot was fantastic. 

Im going to miss Barry. So many shows ending at one time that I love.. and Ted Lasso is ending as well. What is there to even watch now?