US Politics: #Musky DeSaster

DMC

37 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I was 32 when my daughter was born. 35 when my son was born.  There are times I wish I had been younger.  I remember my parents being very active with me as a child.  I feel like I couldn’t offer my kids the same… 

My Mother was 46 when I graduated college.  I’ll be 54 when my daughter crosses the stage.

I'm always flummoxed when I consider that when my father was my age, I'd already been out of college for almost three years, yet still wasn’t married. When my grandfather was my age he had four grandchildren...

When my son is the age I am now, I'll be (hopefully) 83...generations are such weird things...

56 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I'm always flummoxed when I consider that when my father was my age, I'd already been out of college for almost three years, yet still wasn’t married. When my grandfather was my age he had four grandchildren...

When my son is the age I am now, I'll be (hopefully) 83...generations are such weird things...

I’ll be 88… hopefully.

Current top headline on Politico discussing the continuing effects of the Biggest Loser Ever deserves sharing - Key Republican recruits hesitate to jump in if Trump is the nominee:

Many of their prospective recruits are wary of running alongside Trump, who dominates the spotlight, repels crucial independent voters and forces his fellow Republicans to answer for his unpredictable statements. It’s a dynamic that candidates don’t relish, and it has only come into sharper focus since Trump’s CNN town hall, when he spent 70 minutes on primetime television this month unleashing a torrent of incendiary remarks.

Few Republicans publicly worry the former president will seriously damage their bench in either chamber, and they maintain that many of the candidates on the fence will ultimately decide to run. But Trump’s resurgence has notably chilled recruitment across the country. And because only a handful of seats separate both parties in the House and Senate, any one flop could narrow the path to majority. There’s little margin for error.

“Some people have asked me, ‘Should I run next year?’ If you’re in a swing district, I said, ‘No,’” said former Rep. Barbara Comstock (R-Va.), who lost her suburban district in 2018 during a Trump-fueled Democratic wave. “If he’s going to be the nominee, you are better to wait and run after he washes out. Because you won’t have a prayer of winning.”

9 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I was 32 when my daughter was born. 35 when my son was born.  There are times I wish I had been younger.  I remember my parents being very active with me as a child.  I feel like I couldn’t offer my kids the same… 

My Mother was 46 when I graduated college.  I’ll be 54 when my daughter crosses the stage.

You're still young!  My dad's going to be 74 when / if my youngest brother graduates college.

Edited by Larry of the Lake

1 minute ago, Larry of the Lake said:

You're still young!  My dad's going to be 74 when / if my youngest brother graduates college.

...Wait, so if your brother doesn't graduate college your dad won't turn 74?  Is he willing to share his monkey paw?

14 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I was just giving you shit. That scene always cracks me up. I've got old parents, my dad had old parents, and if I ever find someone I'll be an old parent. Just happens that way sometimes. 

I'm curious about your definition of old, because I think of myself as an old parent (with a 2 year old), and most couples we meet are younger than us (or what's worse, look younger) and, yet, most of my classmates are childless. 

Standards are shifting so quickly...

13 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I'm curious about your definition of old, because I think of myself as an old parent (with a 2 year old), and most couples we meet are younger than us (or what's worse, look younger) and, yet, most of my classmates are childless. 

Standards are shifting so quickly...

Pops was 40, mom was 36.

Tim Scott's announcement is cringe city.

Ty Cobb, Trump’s headline hunting former lawyer…sorry, the one named after an old timey baseball player…says that evidence of both aspects of crime were so abundant in the documents case that he confidently predicts conviction and jail time for his former client. He further says that though there is scope for expansion of the charges, he feels the case as is is so solid the prosecution will likely not bother. 

14 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Ty Cobb, Trump’s headline hunting former lawyer…sorry, the one named after an old timey baseball player…says that evidence of both aspects of crime were so abundant in the documents case that he confidently predicts conviction and jail time for his former client. He further says that though there is scope for expansion of the charges, he feels the case as is is so solid the prosecution will likely not bother. 

Ty Cobb is not a particularly good criminal defense lawyer (and was grossly unethical for breaching attorney-client privilege by talking to Bob Woodward) and he's wrong on the last part of this reported claim.  Jack Smith will certainly explore every possible charge against Trump.  

But - the bottom line - that charges against Trump are coming, is absolutely correct.  The dilemma, as  I see it, is that any charges in Jan 6 will be on a much longer fuse than the classified documents prosecution, partly because of DOJ incompetence.  

Edited by Gaston de Foix

^^ Hey at least they were pretty spot on with the number of Republicans.  Also, the atheist thing is kind of a misnomer based on enduring polling.  Particularly is you count agnostics and/or non-religious respondents, of which I am.