Dating Thread: Hope Springs Eternal

27 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Sounds like she nearly had another bar fight. You'd love her. 

I explained in more detail how my step-dad is dying quickly not that long after my dad died. She showed zero interest while wanting to talk about her mom and her fighting more. 

I'm out. Sigh.

Major red flags, especially since you’ve not met and you’re still in the ‘hold in your farts’ stage of making a good impression. Imagine how mental she would be six months down the line

5 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

See, Ty, the answer to that is to go to Worldcon next year in Glasgow and meet up with the BwB

Is this better than Ice and Fire Con? I haven't been to either, so I wouldn't know. In fact, I haven't been to any conference that wasn't work related, so I know about as much as Jon Snow about the best options!

I used to go to Chipotle alone to try to meet a guy. BUT, the conclusion is because the fucking food there is reallllly hard on my stomach I cannot go there anymore. It's hurt me many times to the point of cramps. I will have to meet someone a little bit more intelligently. 

1 hour ago, Jikm said:

I used to go to Chipotle alone to try to meet a guy. BUT, the conclusion is because the fucking food there is reallllly hard on my stomach I cannot go there anymore. It's hurt me many times to the point of cramps. I will have to meet someone a little bit more intelligently. 

Can always eat ahead of time and then just get some chips and a drink and work your magic at Chipotle of you like the scene but not the gastronomical situation.

4 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

I must say that the Doctor knows of all y’all, though I described this as an “online book club”. Though he got the idea pretty quickly and figured out that it was an “online message board like in the 90’s”.

Well, considering my mother has been in actual "book clubs" most of my life - and subsequently my understanding of what actually goes on in book clubs - I'd say "online book club" is a pretty accurate description.

57 minutes ago, 3CityApache said:

Shame it didn't work out, but from what you said it wouldn't in a million years.

Live and learn, right? 

23 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

I must say that the Doctor knows of all y’all, though I described this as an “online book club”. Though he got the idea pretty quickly and figured out that it was an “online message board like in the 90’s”.

I described it like pen pals (had one from France in HS). Mostly one where I found sane people around the world to talk about politics and sports with to try to learn. Still a head scratcher to me how someone couldn't see why you could become friends with people here, even if you've never met them in person. To each their own I guess, but some of you have been more honest and real with me than people I've know for ages. 

On 5/20/2023 at 4:47 PM, Toth said:

Btw, I also deleted the dating apps yesterday again. I thought I had better pictures this time around, but getting three likes in almost two months in total and all of them immediately unmatching is just... well, I guess I dodged putting even more pressure on myself forcing myself to be sociable, so there is that.

I'm sorry to hear that, mate.  There's a lot wrong with the way dating works currently, and stuff like this is the worst part.  Being sociable is hard work for me too, you aren't alone in that. 

50 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

Most likely because I’ve been on an iteration of The Board since the mid/late 90’s, and he could figure that out from the timing.

To be fair, this is an "online book club"; we just haven't had a new book to discuss in 12 years.  

25 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I described it like pen pals (had one from France in HS). Mostly one where I found sane people around the world to talk about politics and sports with to try to learn. Still a head scratcher to me how someone couldn't see why you could become friends with people here, even if you've never met them in person. To each their own I guess, but some of you have been more honest and real with me than people I've know for ages. 

Truth be told, my only friends are from here, but I'm an outlier and don't count.^^

But yea, full agreement with Mme deVenoge, it's a specific combination of the shared interest in the same kind of stories that somehow also leads to relatively similar views on the world here as well as the anonymity. Heck, I'm only this honest about what's going on in my life here specifically because I'll never have to meet anyone here in person.^^

15 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

I'm sorry to hear that, mate.  There's a lot wrong with the way dating works currently, and stuff like this is the worst part.  Being sociable is hard work for me too, you aren't alone in that. 

Well, I guess it was simply dumb to try in the first place. I really should stop panicking about my age and focus on getting more outside.

I'm on the lit forum all the time!  I encountered Abercrombie, Abraham and Bakker (to stick with just the first two letters of the alphabet) thanks to boarders back in the mid-2000s.  

But since this is dating thread, let me ask a dating-specific question that maybe @Ran or someone else knows.  Have there been any board romances that have gone the distance?

10 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

But since this is dating thread, let me ask a dating-specific question that maybe @Ran or someone else knows.  Have there been any board romances that have gone the distance?

Off the top of my head, at least three marriages/partnerships. Maybe four. Could be more!

Edited by Ran

1 hour ago, Madame deVenoge said:

It’s because of two things, IMO -

1. A highly specific shared interest. It was not all that long ago that our specific shared interest (FANTASY FICTION!!!) had to be hidden or disguised. “I read everything!” etc, or just not admitting it. This was especially true when The books were first published, right up until the HBO series, tbh.

2. The relative anonymity - many of us know EXACTLY who we are, some of us have a vague idea or no idea, but this isn’t LinkedIn, where I have my real name and colleagues all connected to me with my professional picture nicely airbrushed and I will rarely say anything other than “congratulations!” Or the most anodyne things on the most anodyne topics (“great article!” on a link to “why offices are often too cold and what can be done about it”).

The funny thing is she loves the show and said she's talked about it online. I was about to be like, "oh fuck, does she post here?" but clearly not.

37 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

YES, beyond the spreadsheet of who has verifiably slept with whom, there have been several Board romances that have resulted in marriage and children who are now going to college (“university” in euro-speak).

46 minutes ago, Ran said:

Off the top of my head, at least three marriages/partnerships. Maybe four. Could be more!

@Toth, see, friends here are a good start!  

@Madame deVenoge, could you PM me a copy of the spreadsheet please? FMEO :leer:

10 hours ago, DMC said:

I prefer to think of all of you as different aspects of my personality, like an internet version of the film Identity.

Ok, now you have to link all the boarders to specific aspects of your personality.

I mean, ty is obviously your love for yourself.

I am probably the part of you that represents doubt (Florida!? Seriously, dude?), which you'd like to suppress or shout down right now. I might also just be your inner troll. Who knows?