Dating Thread: Hope Springs Eternal

10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Live and learn, right? 

I described it like pen pals (had one from France in HS). Mostly one where I found sane people around the world to talk about politics and sports with to try to learn. Still a head scratcher to me how someone couldn't see why you could become friends with people here, even if you've never met them in person. To each their own I guess, but some of you have been more honest and real with me than people I've know for ages. 

You didn’t tell her which board, right? Or can we expect her to show up and unleash mayhem?

9 hours ago, Ran said:

Off the top of my head, at least three marriages/partnerships. Maybe four. Could be more!

More surely! I can think of four LTR/marriages off the top of my head in the UK alone! That’s not counting the various short term stuff.

8 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

The funny thing is she loves the show and said she's talked about it online. I was about to be like, "oh fuck, does she post here?" but clearly not.

She probably did at some point and got banned after three posts :P

9 hours ago, Madame deVenoge said:

Also, yes, we should all get outside more, and despite my arthritic knees and spine, I’ve been jogging three miles a few times a week. This is helpful.

Ah yes, no. I didn't mean for sports. I'm also jogging three times a week again, for whatever good it does me. Talking more about me going back to try finding stuff to do where I can practice socializing some more. Case in point, turns out that thing I was asked in a Discord to come to was indeed a full-fledged convention and not the geek meetup at a youth center to which I in the end never went to. Turns out "Respawned" and "Respawn" are two different events by the same organizer. So I will go to that next Sunday and see whether I'll be able to have a conversation or two.

32 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

More surely! I can think of four LTR/marriages off the top of my head in the UK alone! That’s not counting the various short term stuff.

Now that you mention it, yeah, more. I can think of three UK ones on top of the 4 I was thinking of. Who's the fourth I wonder? Hrm.

Anyways, yes, this forum has helped make a lot of relationships!

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Still a head scratcher to me how someone couldn't see why you could become friends with people here, even if you've never met them in person. To each their own I guess, but some of you have been more honest and real with me than people I've know for ages. 

You'd think she would at very least have come to appreciate online forums and other social communities after the isolation of the pandemic lockdowns that, like, almost literally everyone experienced. But apparently even that wasn't an eye opener for her. I was hesitant to jump in on the "narcissist" charge, but this type of reaction certainly racks up some points in that domain. If the 30% of the conversation that isn't about her doesn't sufficiently resemble her direct experience, then it's suspect...

12 hours ago, DMC said:

.....when did you become British?

The bar I used to hang out at in San Diego was owned by a New Zealander and they had the rugby and cricket channels on the TV so place was a hangout for former British colony country expats, lots of Aussies, Brits, Scots, Indians... Was talking to this one woman with a strong generic Australian accent, I asked her what part of Australia she was from, turned out she was from Ohio but had suffered a traumatic head injury and awoke from a coma with the Australian accent.  Not sure if she was fucking with me but, Ty, have you received a sharp blow to the head recently?

4 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

You didn’t tell her which board, right? Or can we expect her to show up and unleash mayhem?

Lol, no. 

1 hour ago, Phylum of Alexandria said:

You'd think she would at very least have come to appreciate online forums and other social communities after the isolation of the pandemic lockdowns that, like, almost literally everyone experienced. But apparently even that wasn't an eye opener for her. I was hesitant to jump in on the "narcissist" charge, but this type of reaction certainly racks up some points in that domain. If the 30% of the conversation that isn't about her doesn't sufficiently resemble her direct experience, then it's suspect...

Part of what's strange is she talked about how much the isolation wrecked her on top of having to have a ton of virtual clients. And it sounds like she doesn't have many close friends and isn't close with her family. Idk. We all processed the last few years differently. 

37 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Not sure if she was fucking with me

Pretty sure there's a case report about this somewhere though a lot of the time it's not a specific new accent, but more just different from what their accent used to be like prior to the head injury.

More topically, I've been seeing someone for the last 6ish months ( we met on one of those apps (gasp!)), but I might be moving in August so thing are a bit...twitchy. 

Edited by Raja

38 minutes ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Not sure if she was fucking with me but, Ty, have you received a sharp blow to the head recently?

Actually yes. Like I've said before, it's been a hard year. I accidentally took a shot from a metal pole not long after I got Covid. Probably happened about six weeks ago and I passed out the second I sat down.

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I accidentally took a shot from a metal pole not long after I got Covid.

Screw "accident."  I hope you kicked that metal pole's ass.  Fucker, picking on someone with covid.

In all seriousness, sorry about your shitty year and what you have to deal with concerning your step-dad.  It sounds like a lot, best wishes.

5 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

There are other boards? 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

C'mon, she was definitely fucking with you.

Why would anyone lie about being from Ohio? Remember that scene in 30 Rock where Liz was dating this Ohio guy who wanted to move back? They had like a 30 second montage of Liz and Dude in Cleveland, trying to make it look good, and still failed.  

11 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Why would anyone lie about being from Ohio? Remember that scene in 30 Rock where Liz was dating this Ohio guy who wanted to move back? They had like a 30 second montage of Liz and Dude in Cleveland, trying to make it look good, and still failed.  

Heh.  Yes, I do remember that.  30 Rock prolly deserves a rewatch now that you mention it.  That being said, as @A Horse Named Stranger ceaselessly reminds me, I live in Florida..again.  So, glass houses and such.

9 hours ago, Larry of the Lake said:

Was talking to this one woman with a strong generic Australian accent, I asked her what part of Australia she was from, turned out she was from Ohio but had suffered a traumatic head injury and awoke from a coma with the Australian accent.  Not sure if she was fucking with me but, Ty, have you received a sharp blow to the head recently?

Its called Foreign Accent Syndrome, and there are only ~100 documented cases in the history of humankind, or so the internet tells me. There is one woman from LA who did have a traumatic injury and ended up with an Australian/NZ type accent after cycling through numerous others, but no idea if she was from Ohio or not. In short....maybe?