Dating Thread: Hope Springs Eternal

26 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

Also, I have very rarely met dedicated travelers who were bragging about their travels. I’ve been all over the world, and so has the Doctor…he’s been to more of Europe, while I’ve been to the Middle East. It’s fun to go experience other cultures and other places. 

Stop bragging.

31 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

Vexillography is the study of flags. Clearly, all her flags are RED. 

Also, I have very rarely met dedicated travelers who were bragging about their travels. I’ve been all over the world, and so has the Doctor…he’s been to more of Europe, while I’ve been to the Middle East. It’s fun to go experience other cultures and other places. 

What we have here seems to be a vexatious vexillographer.

49 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

I've seen Ty posting elsewhere so it looks our devious plan to keep him from the love of his life is working.

Lol. Yeah, this one is finished before it ever really got to start. You don't want to be with someone who makes you feel like shit, especially after you just told them you were having a really bad day (and really a few bad months). On to the next one.  

3 hours ago, mcbigski said:

I've seen Ty posting elsewhere so it looks our devious plan to keep him from the love of his life is working.

Clearly this seems to be accurate, but I don't really get the correlation here.  Ty could - very easily - simultaneously be posting elsewhere while still pursuing the "love of his life."  See Always Sunny with Charlie and the Waitress.

15 minutes ago, DMC said:

Clearly this seems to be accurate, but I don't really get the correlation here.  Ty could - very easily - simultaneously be posting elsewhere while still pursuing the "love of his life."  See Always Sunny with Charlie and the Waitress.

Hey man, one of the funniest things I ever saw on the interwebs is that they are actually married in real life. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hey man, one of the funniest things I ever saw on the interwebs is that they are actually married in real life. 

Another thing to note is on Reno 911 they had an incestuous brother-sister relationship.

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Another thing to note is on Reno 911 they had an incestuous brother-sister relationship.

Lol, it's the dating thread so this is germane. One of the scariest nights of my life was "watching" the movie. My GF and I were teens, after hooking up at her house I fell asleep while she snuck out to have a cig (and she needed me to let her back in, whoops). She had to bang on her brother's window which woke her mom up. Just before her mom came into her room she threw a blanket on me and blocked her way (which woke me up). The condom was still on me and the wrapper was on the floor. Somehow she was able to get her to go back to bed, but if she came in, we were both fucked and that lady might have gotten one of her guns and shot me. She always blamed me for her husband having a heart attack and dying. Talk about a weird night.

I am going to say what the most annoying thing is about not having a huge rock on my finger:

Men who insist upon talking to me while I’m having lunch at my favorite cantina, OBVIOUSLY reading a book. 

The Doctor needs to give me a rock for this if no other reason.

Just get a good piece of costume jewelry in the meantime. 

Wait ... people actually notice other people wearing rings or a specific kind of rings other people wear?

Am I just weird because I don't check out people's hands all the time I meet somebody? I couldn't tell you whether most people I see every day wear rings or not.

14 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Wait ... people actually notice other people wearing rings or a specific kind of rings other people wear?

Am I just weird because I don't check out people's hands all the time I meet somebody? I couldn't tell you whether most people I see every day wear rings or not.

Not everyone does it, but it's not uncommon. On a number of occasions I've been flirting with a woman and noticed they're wearing a engagement/wedding ring. Some people wear rings even if they're not married, usually weird guys who think women will like it or in Chat's case, to signal buzz off, hence why I suggested going and getting a fake one. Though reading a book should be a sign enough. 

Confession time. I must enjoy agony. E called me last night, drunk per usual, and it was a bizarre conversation to say the least. I guess she was mad at me for asking her out without giving a time and day despite me asking if she was free a few different times and she said no each time. What was extra fun was to learn that our mutual friend, C, had been telling E everything I had been telling her. Awesome! Especially because while I love and adore C, on dating her advice is useless. 

Fuck me... C and I are going to have to talk. But since this is the dating thread I'll put this out there again, would any of you date someone for a year and a half without saying "I love you" and only seeing the other person at best once a week (no job restrictions affecting anything)?

The frequency of seeing each other is entirely up to the people involved, so that's fine. 

But if you've dated for a year and a half and you aren't both ready to say I love you, it sounds like your wasting your time.  Unless this is a relationship specifically built around not being emotionally intimate or something.  

29 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The frequency of seeing each other is entirely up to the people involved, so that's fine. 

I get that, but C wants to see him all the time and E made it sound like once a week is the best she can get. That sounds really unhealthy to me.

But if you've dated for a year and a half and you aren't both ready to say I love you, it sounds like your wasting your time.  Unless this is a relationship specifically built around not being emotionally intimate or something.  

I agree. In my book 3-4 months is probably a good spot if you really feel it, but some people are quicker while others need more time. But 18 months? To be fair to C though she's had a rough dating history. A number of LTR to shitty dudes, which sucks because she is a very sweet person and tolerates a lot. 

11 minutes ago, Madame deVenoge said:

2. To not hear in some form or fashion that someone loves you, after a year or so of dating, is….emotionally stunted.

It's made worse by the fact she refuses to say it first. I tried to encourage her to do so because she does, or at least thinks she does, but she wants to hear it from him first. And this conversation is how I was introduced to E in the first place, lol. 

That is, sorry, fucking immature to want to “hear it from him first”. 

I agree. It really shouldn't matter who says it first. Especially after that much time. 

I waited 2 years for my ex to say the big ILY. We were actually living together by the time he said it. I said it after 6 months. But it wasn't that big of a deal to me. He obviously had hang ups about saying it, and his actions were enough. We also used to have very silly good-byes where I'd say "I love you" and he'd say "I like you more" back. Lol. Once he said it once (during The Deed, I might add), he was fine saying it all the time.

Still, I was relieved that my fiance was happy to say it back to me when I said it to him after about 2 (4?) months!!

Edited by Starkess

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Confession time. I must enjoy agony. E called me last night, drunk per usual, and it was a bizarre conversation to say the least.

Bugger, I got lost. Who is E, the red flags girl?

I was at the 30th anniversary of graduating High School party in my hometown over the weekend (oh boy, it's really thirty years already, isn't it?) and I was really encouraged by the look of all the girls from my class. Dudes as well, for that matter. Some of them, who stayed in my hometown, occasionally meet up, but I literally haven't seen any of them for 30 years, since graduating and moving to the university elsewhere. I only had a problem with recognizing one guy (but for my defence he had long curly hair and glasses back then, and now is bearded and mostly bald). Other than that, I was surprised to see we haven't changed that much. The two girls I had a crush on in HS were still the prettiest of the bunch. And I must say I enjoyed the hell out of it. The party started at 19.30 and died at around 5 and I got drunk and stoned as much for the first time in probably a decade or someting. I was a bit afraid it could be somewhat awkward prior to showing up, but it turned out it was really great fun. Seems we generally are not the best at relationships, most of us are after divorces, separations and stuff, although three people out of 11 who showed up are still with their first husband/wife, which makes it almost one third ratio, not that bad.

It was kinda a weird experience, but in a good way, to speak to these people for the first time since we were all still just preparing to start our adulthood, since we were basically still potential human beings. And now we're beginning the downslope. :D