Daenerys' missteps

Angel Eyes

From a post of mine in the Rant and Rave thread:

So this was something that I was thinking about in the last two seasons and it occurred to me that Daenerys and her camp didn't do enough to show that she should be Queen over Cersei. There have been a few strategic missteps but I've described those ad nauseum in other posts and threads.

One of the things that personally bothered me about Daenerys' plot in the last couple seasons was that she never really tried to show why she should be ruler of Westeros over options like Cersei, playing on the public's dislike of Cersei (except in Braavos) due to her incestuous affairs, ordering the mass murder of popular figures like Queen Margaery and the High Sparrow, even throw in a lie about Tommen's death.

• She could promote safety and fair-handedness in the Riverlands.
  • She could have bonded with Sansa over being turfed out of your home (multiple times for Daenerys) and being raped by her husband, or with Arya over being a woman with martial power (Daenerys with her dragons, Arya with her skills as a killer and someone with the abilities of a Faceless Man).
  • But nooo, she never really tried to win people over outside of "Bend the Knee" and "I'm the Queen, and you gotta deal with it" (reference to The Legend of Korra).
  • On the other hand, going the other way in "The Last of the Starks", Sansa could have bargained with Daenerys to end things quickly without amassing significant civilian casualties: Send Arya in to take out Cersei, North gets autonomy similar to that of Dorne.

Conversely, Cersei is seen negotiating with the Iron Bank with gold seized from Highgarden and spreading lies about Daenerys to the rest of the nobility that Daenerys is untrustworthy due to the company she keeps, which is what Varys, as Master of Whispers should have been doing.

How hard could it be?

Again, did she do everything she could have to win? And what could she have done?

40 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

From a post of mine in the Rant and Rave thread:

So this was something that I was thinking about in the last two seasons and it occurred to me that Daenerys and her camp didn't do enough to show that she should be Queen over Cersei. There have been a few strategic missteps but I've described those ad nauseum in other posts and threads.

Conversely, Cersei is seen negotiating with the Iron Bank with gold seized from Highgarden and spreading lies about Daenerys to the rest of the nobility that Daenerys is untrustworthy due to the company she keeps, which is what Varys, as Master of Whispers should have been doing.

How hard could it be?

Again, did she do everything she could have to win? And what could she have done?

Obliterate the Red Keep, on arrival.

Confirm that every lord that bent the knee would keep lands and titles.