NBA Playoffs - Joker's Wild

Relic

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

He might be cheaper than you'd expect. I always here rumors that the Hawks don't like him. Still, he's not what they need and frankly I'm not sure any move the Lakers make at this point will make them contenders. Feels like this year they probably heavily over exceeded realistic expectations.  

I think Pelinka should get some consideration for executive of the year.  Salvaging something from the nuclear crater of a roster that Lebron made him start the year with by bringing in Rui/Vando/Russell is commendable at the very least.

8 hours ago, DMC said:

I suspect Bronny will only play this coming year at USC then declare for the draft this time next year.

Is Bronny actually good enough to make an NBA roster without the promise of his dad coming over? (Legit question, I dunno). Because if not, I don't see why he'd be in such a rush to just play in his dad's shadow and then get cut as soon as his dad retires.

As for the Lakers, its hard to imagine them getting much better than this any time soon. Even if they manage to get another big star, it'll mean trading all their depth away again. And Lebron+AD+3rd guy is not enough to win a title I don't think. I don't think Lebron goes to another team though, hanging out in LA and having easy access to USC's home games is too big an incentive to stay. Which means he's probably not getting another title, unless he's still playing 4+ years from now getting 10ish minutes off the bench while some next generation of LA superstars is leading the team.

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

Is Bronny actually good enough to make an NBA roster without the promise of his dad coming over? (Legit question, I dunno).

From what I've read, over the past year he has improved from basically a non-entity to someone that legit would get drafted in at least the second round regardless of his name.  Obviously, next year at USC will be crucial in determining that.  Could fall off a cliff, but could also play his way into legit first round consideration.  Who knows?  Kid's only 18.

35 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I think Pelinka should get some consideration for executive of the year.  Salvaging something from the nuclear crater of a roster that Lebron made him start the year with by bringing in Rui/Vando/Russell is commendable at the very least.

Nah. He needed to trade Westbrook before the season started. That's a major reason why they failed. They've been having to do so much catching up for months and my guess is the team was largely spent. If anything I'd fire him. 

ETA: I saw a stat earlier that since LeBron returned he and AD have played more minutes than anyone else. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

11 minutes ago, DMC said:

From what I've read, over the past year he has improved from basically a non-entity to someone that legit would get drafted in at least the second round regardless of his name.  Obviously, next year at USC will be crucial in determining that.  Could fall off a cliff, but could also play his way into legit first round consideration.  Who knows?  Kid's only 18.

Yeah, this is what I've read and heard too. He's a fringe NBA player at best right now, but he's improved. I think at one point he was in the 45-50 range for his HS class. LeBron's other kid sounds like the one more likely to be a legit first rounder. He's already 6'6 and only 15.

On 5/23/2023 at 2:20 AM, Rhom said:

Oh sweet summer child...

Right on cue, the BBC had this article yesterday.  https://www.bbc.com/sport/65601190

Change has come. Rather, change will come in 2026 when gambling companies will no longer be allowed on the front of top-flight teams' shirts after a ground-breaking agreement between clubs.

Grimes called the move "incoherent", pointing out gambling companies will still be able to occupy the players' sleeves, pitchside hoardings, stadium floodlight pylons and the airwaves between the action.

:lmao:

_

Anyway, Celtics pull one back. Time for another fruitless hope. Maybe the journalists can stop regurgitating the same 0-150 takes, and maybe put a little effort in and check what the sample is for a higher seed going down 0-3 is. Yes, its still 0 wins, but maybe they can explore a little?

Possibly the dumbest article ever written:

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/37721876/2023-nba-draft-hypothetical-trades-wembanyama

You could throw in your wife anytime I wanted to and I'd still say no. Maybe if you bought me a private island, and I mean a nice one, I'd think about it. 

27 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't have Insider anymore, what's the trade?

There were three, including your team.

San Antonio Spurs get: Joel Embiid

Philadelphia 76ers gets: 2023 No. 1 overall pick, Toronto's 2024 first-round pick, Doug McDermott, Devonte' Graham

San Antonio Spurs get: Chet Holmgren, 2023 No. 12 pick, 2024 Rockets first-rounder (top-four protected), 2025 76ers first-rounder (top-six protected), 2026 Clippers first-rounder

Oklahoma City Thunder get: 2023 No. 1 overall pick

San Antonio Spurs get: Paolo Banchero, Jalen Suggs, two first-round picks (2023 No. 6 and No. 11)

Orlando Magic get: 2023 No. 1 overall pick

Edited by Tywin et al.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Chet and picks is not worth possibly the best prospect in the last 20 years. Wemby will be great assuming he doesn't get hurt. He's the rare sure thing talent wise. 

Yeah I meant the other way around.

51 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Wemby will be great assuming he doesn't get hurt

Let's be real for a moment here. In what world is that dude not injury plagued for his entire career? I don't want to take anything away from him talent wise, but that body was not meant to bang into huge grown ass men night after night. 

19 minutes ago, Relic said:

Let's be real for a moment here. In what world is that dude not injury plagued for his entire career? I don't want to take anything away from him talent wise, but that body was not meant to bang into huge grown ass men night after night. 

He's a lot bigger than Chet and his frame suggestion he could put on some more weight. I'm more worried about his feet/lower legs than his physicality. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm more worried about his feet/lower legs than his physicality. 

Yeah, duh. Imagine a Russel Westbrook type bowling into those twigs. It hurts to even think about.

Edited by Relic