NBA Playoffs - Joker's Wild

Relic

11 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Hopefully it will turn out better for W than it did for Zion, the Prince That Was Promised.

Talk about different body types...

And Wemby is significantly more hyped than even Zion.

Wemby is the most hyped prospect since LeBron.  Zion was probably the next most "hyped" by the media in the intervening years, although I believe Davis was probably a better prospect, and possibly Oden + Durant as well.  

In some ways I think that Wemby's comparison is better with Duncan (also a fantastic prospect), in that basically the only thing people worry about is his health.  He can play - he has dominated a bunch of other great prospects and a league of second tier professionals.  Just gotta hope those legs hold up.

5 hours ago, Rhom said:

Suns Exec:  We have problems closing out series and we seem to underperform annually.  Who’s out there?

Other Exec:  There’s Doc Rivers…

The Suns get rid of banker-boy Sarver, and they have a coach who has finally gotten the team playing consistently well in Monty Williams, so local fans start to think, "Maybe the organization has turned the corner?"

But being the Suns, they fired both barrels into their feet, trading away the wrong players (Bridges, should have rid themselves of Ayton), firing the quality coach, and now considering Doc Rivers.  Herp a derp.

Tonight is the perfect example of why I am tired of our hot take culture.

This time a week ago, all I heard on ESPN outlets was how Brad Stevens made a mistake extending Mazzulla and he might need to fire him.

:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Tonight is the perfect example of why I am tired of our hot take culture.

This time a week ago, all I heard on ESPN outlets was how Brad Stevens made a mistake extending Mazzulla and he might need to fire him.

:rolleyes:

Cause he's not a very good coach.

And I hope we can all be honest with what we're seeing here. On the replays Heat players are getting clubbed and there's a lot of no calls. Meanwhile Celtics players get breathed on and it's a fast whistle.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

And I hope we can all be honest with what we're seeing here. On the replays Heat players are getting clubbed and there's a lot of no calls. Meanwhile Celtics players get breathed on and it's a fast whistle.

I’ve seen a few ticky-tack fouls on the Heat, but don’t see them getting clubbed and there being no fouls called.

Butler 3-19 shooting so far. Obviously not gonna get it done.

6 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I’ve seen a few ticky-tack fouls on the Heat, but don’t see them getting clubbed and there being no fouls called.

Heat players are on the floor and when you watch the replay they're getting smashed and Boston is getting away with it more times than not so they're able to keep it up. Meanwhile they're getting called for a bunch of junk. Just call the game the same on both ends. Tatum gets all these soft calls while Butler is getting hammered. That affects what a team wants to do and how they players respond. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

That was as close as I've ever seen a buzzer beater, who makes that call if its even closer, refs on court or via video? 

Also, I'm sure I asked this last year and can't remember the answer, but are there any stats re success of teams where one team had a long layoff (is too long a layoff a negative) v another team who went to game 7? 

Edited by BigFatCoward

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Also, I'm sure I asked this last year and can't remember the answer, but are there any stats re success of teams where one team had a long layoff (is too long a layoff a negative) v another team who went to game 7? 

Interesting question.  I don't know if analytic people have tried to address this, but even if they have, it's hard to operationalize. 

Like, are you just looking at teams that went 4 vs. teams that went 7?  If so that's still gonna be a really small sample.  Or does 5 count for the former -- and where does 6 lie?  And shouldn't days off matter more than the technical amount games?  In which case that's gonna vary.  Maybe making it an ordinal rather than dichotomous variable would help resolve this, but when you do that you're probably not gonna get any statistical significance - it's just gonna be random correlations running any type of regression.  Then, of course, there's the inherent difference in the quality of the teams.

...Anyway, sorry for the rambling.  Point is I don't think this is something that can really be resolved by a quantitative metric.  Just kinda an eye test, ya know.