NBA Playoffs - Joker's Wild

Relic

On 5/28/2023 at 3:48 AM, Relic said:

Crazy. and lucky. and crazy lucky.

It was an amazing play and sure, lucky. I think, though, this was one of those situations where "You make your own luck" applies. Derrick White was the inbounder and yet managed to crash in from the baseline in two seconds.

Spoelstra said afterwards that the ball went the only place it could have gone for the Celtics to be able to put it back, which strikes me as wishful thinking, or maybe you have to tell yourself that after that kind of reversal. If the ball had gone the other way, Tatum was above the rim on the other side.

Or it could have just gone in instead of rimming out. There were many ways that ball could have gone that led to their loss.

36 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I think, though, this was one of those situations where "You make your own luck" applies.

Oh yeah, for sure. He crashed the board and got the rebound. Just pretty incredible that the ball rattled around the way it did, most misses on a 3 tend to bounce off the rim for long rebounds. It was definitely a convergence of all sorts of variables that fell exactly as the C's needed it to. Sort of Like Kawahi's shot about the 76ers a few years ago. 

Anyway, hard to see the C's losing game 7 now, but this series has been wild, so who the hell knows. 

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

There was 2.1 seconds left and they changed it to 3. Kind of amazing how such a small thing changed everything. 

Apparently when the Celtics challenged the foul called on Horford, that gave the refs time to review and reset the clock. So, more created luck.

3 hours ago, Relic said:

Oh yeah, for sure. He crashed the board and got the rebound. Just pretty incredible that the ball rattled around the way it did, most misses on a 3 tend to bounce off the rim for long rebounds. It was definitely a convergence of all sorts of variables that fell exactly as the C's needed it to. Sort of Like Kawahi's shot about the 76ers a few years ago. 

Seems like every championship requires some lucky breaks along the way.

3 hours ago, Relic said:

Anyway, hard to see the C's losing game 7 now, but this series has been wild, so who the hell knows. 

Oh, I don't know, I can see the Celtics getting high on their own farts again and blowing it.

7 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Apparently when the Celtics challenged the foul called on Horford, that gave the refs time to review and reset the clock. So, more created luck.

Yep, and I think it was the right call. I know I've been shitting on the refs a lot, because they deserve it in almost every series, but that appeared to be the right call and a smart move by Mazzulla.

What a strange series.  But in the end, Miami was the better team, and deserved to advance.  

I do not like thier chances against Denver (at all), but I've been wrong about Miami twice already this playoffs, so perhaps they've got more fight than I give them credit for.

Not sure who I'm going to root for in the finals.  I like Jimmy Butler's game a lot, but the rest of the Heat I'm not particularly fond of.

Seemed to me like whichever team was the favourite in this series wilted under the pressure. Maybe it will spread to Denver as well. And Murray seems the type that needs to warm up to get into rhythm, hopefully he didn't go cold during the long break.

Butler has been disappointing for the past 5 games. I know that Martin has an easier time of it because of all the attention paid to Butler, but he stepped up when it mattered. Would have liked him to win the pageant over Butler. Also, do they play Herro? Saw that he's been cleared, but is he ready to play after a long layoff?

I wish the Bird/Magic conference finals trophy had been named this year, just for the lols of them both blowing it in widely different circumstances.  

Does anyone see this going to more than 5 games?

Edited by BigFatCoward

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I wish the Bird/Magic conference finals trophy had been named this year, just for the lols of them both blowing it in widely different circumstances.  

Does anyone see this going to more than 5 games?

Don't underestimate Miami. Denver should be the heavy favorite, but the Heat have already beaten two teams that I think on paper were better than the Nuggets. 

56 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Don't underestimate Miami. Denver should be the heavy favorite, but the Heat have already beaten two teams that I think on paper were better than the Nuggets. 

Fair play if they do it, beating both number 1 seeds and a number 2 seed is quite the task. 

I havent predicted a single thing correctly in this playoffs, i dont think. Still, hard to see how Miami can handle Jokic, but i guess if anyone can gameplan for him Spo can? I wonder if they will try to use Love to body Jokic up? Who else do they have on the bench that they can throw at him?