RIP Tina Turner

Myshkin

My father fondly tells a story of dancing with her back in the 60s at a small nightclub in St Louis, while Ike was at a nearby table with friends after their set. A sad day today, but her music has been making people dance, sing, and laugh for more than half a century. What a queen.

I was actually familiar with her as a solo artist before I ever heard of Ike and Tina. If you were a fan of hers or not, if you came of age in the 1980’s, she was a part of your life in some way. She was everywhere but somehow she never got annoying or uninteresting. The fact that she was one of those ‘80’s video artists who’s relevance outlasted the ‘80’s says something. And what she went through to get there; Respect.

But don’t get me started about how she treated Master Blaster. She was so mean to him!

Was just listening to we don’t need another hero which is my favorite of her songs the other day. I knew she was old around the same age as my dad but didn’t know about the poor health. Great singer and I can’t think of many who had that distinctive voice like she did. No matter if you had ever heard the song before you would instantly recognize her.

Edited by Arakasi

• 2 weeks later...