Worst father-son relationship in the series ?

On 5/28/2023 at 7:14 PM, Hugorfonics said:

Yes, in fact they needed both. That's why Ned and Cat got married in a hurry, to cement it. If Ned said no then Hoster would have called the whole thing off and Robert would have failed. Hoster definitely had Jon by the balls, but you know, with his daughters lives at stake.

I don't think so; Ned and Cat would have aligned the Tullys with Robert's cause without needing Jon and Lysa's match.

2 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

I don't think so; Ned and Cat would have aligned the Tullys with Robert's cause without needing Jon and Lysa's match.

It's not up to them. At the minimum Lysa was the price (but really both of them)

"Father," she said, "Father, I know what you did." She was no longer an innocent bride with a head full of dreams. She was a widow, a traitor, a grieving mother, and wise, wise in the ways of the world. "You made him take her," she whispered. "Lysa was the price Jon Arryn had to pay for the swords and spears of House Tully."

What's the point of text if we're just going to think whatever the fuck we want?

19 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

It's not up to them. At the minimum Lysa was the price (but really both of them)

"Father," she said, "Father, I know what you did." She was no longer an innocent bride with a head full of dreams. She was a widow, a traitor, a grieving mother, and wise, wise in the ways of the world. "You made him take her," she whispered. "Lysa was the price Jon Arryn had to pay for the swords and spears of House Tully."

What's the point of text if we're just going to think whatever the fuck we want?

My point is that Ned and Catelyn's marriage already tied Hoster to the rebels and he wound up shooting them in the foot with the other since Lysa was unhappy with a husband who was four times her age and Littlefinger found a vulnerable link to pick at and break the alliance apart.

Edited by Angel Eyes

31 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

My point is that Ned and Catelyn's marriage already tied Hoster to the rebels and he wound up shooting them in the foot with the other since Lysa was unhappy with a husband who was four times her age and Littlefinger found a vulnerable link to pick at and break the alliance apart.

I suppose from his perspetive he wanted to ensure total commitment from the rebels before jumping in esp given the north and vale if whipped in open battle can retreat to their almost impossible to invade regions whereas the riverlands hasnt that luxury.

Another factor is the tully weakness overall  they arent the strongest house in their own region thus must always play things safe in any strategic dec they ake

Add in old men marry and impregnate young girls in his world as well as history and grmms world too, its not an age where  women have much rights or say thus her happiness isnt thought of!

The brutal irony of it all is hoster did this to strengthen his house and sent littlefinger away. Had he relented LF and lysa would have been married and house tully turned into a fucking powerhouse!!! 

Lysa staying means the blackfish does too which alone means house tullys military would have been a lot more formidable as would edmure!  Lf being watched like a hawk by brynden and hoster while being  obsessed over by lysa would have been reluctantly been popping out kids like winterfell did!!..the poor guy wouldnt have been allowed to sleep by lysa.

Having a sneaky cunning sob like LF now wedded to the betterment of his house and kids means being around hed have made edmure  a lot more sharp politicaly, kept the freys in check more and probably done wonders for the riverlands finances.

Hed have ensured his legitimate kids were married off to well placed houses and any bastards (it is littlefinger were talking about) locked into rich merchant or dying  minor houses in need of a heir etc.

52 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

But it didn't, Cat was married first but Hoster demanded more and that's why Lysa was married to a guy 4x her age. If that wasn't the case then there's no reason for Hoster to send Lysa to an unhappy marriage, but she was the price...

16 minutes ago, Lilac & Gooseberries said:

Sam and Randyll

Tyrion and Tywin

Ramsay and Roose

Theon and Balon

But the worst of them all is Craster and ALL of his sons.

When it comes to Craster, I’d rather be one of his sons than one of his daughters! :ack: