Jump to content

What grinds your gears?


Recommended Posts

22 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

 

 

Ah man, that's horrid. But yeah, my fatigue was never that bad but it was a similar principle- I could do a walk or whatever, it'd be later or the next day that I'd feel awful. 

 

It also made me really susceptible to other infections for the whole year.


My doctor gave me the whole of this week off, which I almost feel bad about coz I'm pretty definitely gonna be 'well enough to work' by like Thursday at the latest, but at the same time she was sending me back when I wanted last year and after like the fifth visit she was like 'dude you clearly need to fully recover, take the time I'm giving you' so now I don't argue. 

I initially felt so guilty about taking time off work but one of my close friends has chronic fatigue syndrome diagnosed like 15 years ago and it was post viral and said she developed it after constantly trying to go back to work too early so I’m really trying to look after myself for now and you should do the same!! Fuck the guilt, if we aren’t well we can’t do our jobs very good anyway! Wishing you the best! 
 

it sucks but I’ll get back to it. Put back on a bunch of weight but also slowly and surely working on my mental health stuff and at least now the gym doesn’t scare me so when I’m better I’ll go back and just take my time and it will be longer lasting that way anyway…I hope haha. 
 

it’s been bizarre suffering from horrendous brain fog one moment and then total clarity of thought, more so than I have felt in years, at the same time. Still not consistent enough to be ‘normal’ but feeling hopeful for the future even if at present I feel like absolute horse shit lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/7/2023 at 8:20 PM, A True Kaniggit said:

Ugh. I believe earlier people mentioned how passengers on the subway sometimes play music loudly? I’ve never been on a subway, so I’ve never experienced that, but I think I found the none subway equivalent. 
 

I stopped by Walmart after work today, and the man in line in front of me had music playing at max volume out of his cell phone. I can only assume he had it going the whole time he was in the store.

I’ve experienced this on airplanes several times in the past year, including yesterday.  But instead of obnoxious, attention-seeking teenagers playing music aloud, it has been older (say 55-65) entitled adults watching TV on their phone at full speaker volume during the flight.  Zero consideration for anyone around them.

The rise of “main character” rudeness and inconsideration in recent years is astounding.  You see it all the time in driving situations too when a driver does something for their own convenience despite 10x inconvenience and/or danger foisted on people around them.  The driving manifestation worries me a lot because driving lethal combinations of mass x velocity requires a lawful cooperation by all road users or else it can break down quickly.

Something happened during COVID isolation that re-set the social contract in people’s heads.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I’ve experienced this on airplanes several times in the past year, including yesterday.  But instead of obnoxious, attention-seeking teenagers playing music aloud, it has been older (say 55-65) entitled adults watching TV on their phone at full speaker volume during the flight.  Zero consideration for anyone around them.

The rise of “main character” rudeness and inconsideration in recent years is astounding.  You see it all the time in driving situations too when a driver does something for their own convenience despite 10x inconvenience and/or danger foisted on people around them.  The driving manifestation worries me a lot because driving lethal combinations of mass x velocity requires a lawful cooperation by all road users or else it can break down quickly.

Something happened during COVID isolation that re-set the social contract in people’s heads.

I don't think is was the isolation. People who did not follow the recommendations are the worst now in my experience.

To me it feels more like the widespread acceptance/tolerance of rule breaking during the times when COVID measures existed made people aware that most things are optional in our society because there are no real sanctions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I’ve experienced this on airplanes several times in the past year, including yesterday.  But instead of obnoxious, attention-seeking teenagers playing music aloud, it has been older (say 55-65) entitled adults watching TV on their phone at full speaker volume during the flight.  Zero consideration for anyone around them.

 

My mother in law is doing this. She wakes up in the middle of the night and decides to absolutely blast Great British Bake Off at the highest volume...and then proceeds to fall asleep during it. But it keeps going and going.

We've even talked with her about it but she just kinda forgets, because fuck anyone else, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

The rise of “main character” rudeness and inconsideration in recent years is astounding.  You see it all the time in driving situations too when a driver does something for their own convenience despite 10x inconvenience and/or danger foisted on people around them.  The driving manifestation worries me a lot because driving lethal combinations of mass x velocity requires a lawful cooperation by all road users or else it can break down quickly.

It's not new with driving, it's just that people are increasingly doing the same shit in every facet of their life. I've been on the road for 20 years now and it still blows my mind people think it's okay to cut in at the very last second of a busy one lane off ramp to a new highway and act like everyone else is the asshole.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's not new with driving, it's just that people are increasingly doing the same shit in every facet of their life. I've been on the road for 20 years now and it still blows my mind people think it's okay to cut in at the very last second of a busy one lane off ramp to a new highway and act like everyone else is the asshole.

It has always happened but it seems to have escalated a lot in the past two years.  I especially notice it when I drive outside my immediate local community, e.g. on the freeway or in a major city.  In a more anonymous setting with presumed strangers, people just DGAF and do whatever is convenient for them.

I think @Luzifer's right hand described it well that people have realized rule-following is optional and there is little real enforcement or consequences.  Society does rely on most people adhering to the rules most of the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

It has always happened but it seems to have escalated a lot in the past two years.  I especially notice it when I drive outside my immediate local community, e.g. on the freeway or in a major city.  In a more anonymous setting with presumed strangers, people just DGAF and do whatever is convenient for them.

Idk. In a college poetry class I wrote about how driving is like dancing, when it's done well it's a beautiful experience for everyone, but when done poorly it's a shitshow and that shitshow is the norm. Has it gotten even worse since then? Likely though I think it speaks to a larger problem. 

Quote

I think @Luzifer's right hand described it well that people have realized rule-following is optional and there is little real enforcement or consequences.  Society does rely on most people adhering to the rules most of the time.

I could be wrong, but the core issue is that those who seem to not give a damn about general rules or feeling shame are the ones perceived to be succeeding the most. Just look at the US. Our politicians are largely garbage people, but they stay in office. Not every business, but several of the most public ones are also run by bad people. Celebrities, which we worship here, often times don't come across as great people. But everyone in these groups and more keep getting richer and the public takes their social cues from them so it's not surprising that the public writ large is devolving. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In my neck of the woods, driving sucks for various reasons but mostly, too many damn cars on the road.  More than one reason of course.  In California commuting is just getting worse because affording housing where the jobs are is difficult to impossible to find.   Plus, California has just not put any real money or effort into public transportation so if one doesn't drive one doesn't really get to go anywhere.  Driving here can be hell, rush hours keep getting longer and dangerous.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People who leave the fridge door open while doing stuff.

Been on 2 family holidays this month. First time with her family then with mine, and everyone leaves the fridge open.

Making a sandwich door is open for 5 mins, making a cup of tea, 2 minutes. Do they not realise the point of the fucking door is to keep the cold in? 

If I wasn't so stubborn I'd almost assume I was in the wrong since I'm in a minority of 1. 

Edited by BigFatCoward
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

People who leave the fridge door open while doing stuff.

Been on 2 family holidays this month. First time with her family then with mine, and everyone leaves the fridge open.

Making a sandwich door is open for 5 mins, making a cup of tea, 2 minutes. Do they not realise the point of the fucking door is to keep the cold in? 

If I wasn't so stubborn I'd almost assume I was in the wrong since I'm in a minority of 1. 

You are wrong, it keeps the heat out, not the cold in

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/10/2023 at 1:01 AM, Argonath Diver said:

"Literally"

I assume nearly every member of these wonderful Westeros forums the past twenty years loves the English language to some degree.

I love the intricacies of slang and casual dialects and constantly evolving language. I find it fascinating how fast casual dialect changes within a couple years. But, my gears fully ground, they cry out that I just hate how a nice, clear term like "literally" now has... literally reversed its meaning in this depressing zeitgeist. No, you little shit, you are not 'literally gonna die'.

I hate to break it to you, but people have been using "literally" for hyperbole for literally centuries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do appreciate the fridges that beep if they're open for too long.  I don't have one but my parents do and it definitely has limited my mom keeping it open way too long.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, DMC said:

I do appreciate the fridges that beep if they're open for too long.  I don't have one but my parents do and it definitely has limited my mom keeping it open way too long.

THEY BEEP!!!??? Omg!!!!

As a young lady who appreciates the latest in bells and whistles, I was just feeling under-applianced because only my dishwasher is wifi connected. 

Clearly, I must level up.

Also, I have Cat on Lap, so I must start the dishwasher, remotely, right now :P

Edited by Madame deVenoge
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Madame deVenoge said:

THEYEP!!!??? Omg!!!! BE

As a young lady who appreciates the latest in bells and whistles, I was just feeling under-applianced because only my dishwasher is wifi connected. 

Clearly, I must level up.

Also, I have Cat on Lap, so I must start the dishwasher, remotely, right now :P

only if you are a selfish arsehole, if you follow good fridge etiquette then you will never know if yours beeps or not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I’ve experienced this on airplanes several times in the past year, including yesterday.  But instead of obnoxious, attention-seeking teenagers playing music aloud, it has been older (say 55-65) entitled adults watching TV on their phone at full speaker volume during the flight.  Zero consideration for anyone around them.

The rise of “main character” rudeness and inconsideration in recent years is astounding.  You see it all the time in driving situations too when a driver does something for their own convenience despite 10x inconvenience and/or danger foisted on people around them.  The driving manifestation worries me a lot because driving lethal combinations of mass x velocity requires a lawful cooperation by all road users or else it can break down quickly.

Something happened during COVID isolation that re-set the social contract in people’s heads.

Main character rudeness!! That’s a great way to put it. I deleted tiktok recently but I saw it constantly on there. People’s need to be the main character - to be totally unique and special otherwise the algorithm wouldn’t push the videos. The only thing is with main character energy, you may be appreciating yourself more but your empathy and care for others goes way out the window if you believe they’re just NPCs roaming around in the background. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

only if you are a selfish arsehole, if you follow good fridge etiquette then you will never know if yours beeps or not. 

It always beeps when putting away groceries.  That one's understandable.

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Every fridge I can remember having as an adult has. 

Pretty sure my parents have had the same one since they moved to Gainesville, which was 2007.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...