Book recommendations similar to ASOIAF

29 minutes ago, Lady Stonehearts Simp said:

By similar, I mean in tone. 

Try the Crime Library.  I haven't found a fantasy that comes close.  Some historical fiction and some real history is even better, but real honest to goodness horrifying horrible crime is closest to the mark.

No, wait, got one...The Witcher is dark and brutal.  It's got more of a fairy tale vibe to it, but it is grim with some great heroes and villains and monsters.  It really is a good read if you want a story that takes you out of this world. 

Edited by Curled Finger
after thought

31 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

Try the Crime Library.  I haven't found a fantasy that comes close.  Some historical fiction and some real history is even better, but real honest to goodness horrifying horrible crime is closest to the mark.

No, wait, got one...The Witcher is dark and brutal.  It's got more of a fairy tale vibe to it, but it is grim with some great heroes and villains and monsters.  It really is a good read if you want a story that takes you out of this world. 

I’ve read most of the Witcher

The Warlord Chronicles, is a trilogy based on the Arthurian Mythos and it's great!  The novels are; The Winter King, The Enemy of God and Excalibur.   This not a sword in the throne romance but gritty telling of Aruther and his times.  I loved it and have read it twice.  This series has one of the best endings of a trilogy and it was just as good when I read it for the second time.  Highly, highly recommend.  Bernard Cornwell is the author; he really knows his stuff and tells a great story.

I've read the First Law Books and other titles by Joe Abercrombie, and ultimately, I found them too violent for my taste.  YMMV of course.  

Daniel Abraham has written two series that have fans here, the first is The Long Price Quartet, a high fantasy series with a unique magic system, and the Dagger and the Coin a five books series I liked better than the Long Price and I liked the Long Price alot!  Different magic, good characters, good read.

He was half of the duo who wrote the SF series, The Expanse, he and Ty Franck under the joint pseudonym James S. A. Corey.  The series has ten novels and they are all published.  Yay!

So a few titles to consider.   Happy Reading!    :read:

Edited by LongRider

11 minutes ago, LongRider said:

The Warlord Chronicles, is a trilogy based on the Arthurian Mythos and it's great!  The novels are; The Winter King, The Enemy of God and Excalibur.   This not a sword in the throne romance but gritty telling of Aruther and his times.  I loved it and have read it twice.  This series has one of the best endings of a trilogy and it was just as good when I read it for the second time.  Highly, highly recommend.  Bernard Cornwell is the author; he really knows his stuff and tells a great story.

Sold.  I have been dying to try out some Cornwell but not dying to get under another 10+ book series.  Right on.  

2 hours ago, Lady Stonehearts Simp said:

I’m looking for a new series to start, that’s similar to ASOIAF. 

In Jaime Lannister fashion, there are no series similar to asoiaf, only asoiaf.

But if you don't mind taking things not so serious then Discworld. Theres like a hundred of them. Light reads, incredibly well written and hilarious. 

And Romance of Three Kingdoms, where there's only three (or two) of them. Not a light read, nor frankly is it increadably well written and while I find it hilarious I'm not sure if I'm supposed to. It's also definitely not romantic, if your looking for a strong female lead then medivial china disappoints. But it has magic with the mysterious quality, a war torn land, flimsy alliances, inevitable betrayals, ridiculously shaped swords with even more ridiculous names, doublespeak dialogue, waking the dragon and lots of death. I still think similar is too strong of a word, but it's close. Especially the parallels with the main character and Dany

Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn is excellent, amazing, love it, but everything  by Tad Williams is awesome. 
The First Law  series & The First Law World series, excellent. 
The Fionavar Tapestry is great (but nothing like ASoIaF) and Tigana is one of the best fantasy books ever written. 

Thanks, everyone.

I read the First Law trilogy after finding it recommended in a similar list geared toward people who love ASOIAF. I thought that was great. 

Based on this thread, I just ordered the Warlord Chronicles, the Farseer Trilogy and The Dragon's Path from the Dagger and Coin series. I put the Long Price Quartet in my "saved for later" list. 

All of the descriptions look terrific.

I love having a stack of books ready to go!

59 minutes ago, SeanF said:

All good recommendations.

I should add that most books written by Guy Gavriel Kay, in his alternative versions of Europe and China, should appeal to fans of ASOIAF.

I love his books! Tigana, as I said upthread is one of the very best in the genre. And I really like what he did in Fionavar and how he reworked the Arthurian legend. But yeah, I have never read a book of his that I didn’t like.