Book recommendations similar to ASOIAF

Here's a plug for the Literature threads, found under the Miscellaneous area of the forums.  I have read many of the books discussed there, including the ones I mentioned upthread.  Didn't really know much about fantasy when I came here, the threads there helped me find great and good reads. 

Literature - A Forum of Ice and Fire - A Song of Ice and Fire & Game of Thrones (westeros.org)

Was also introduced to historical fiction, which has many great reads.  Hilary Mantel and her trilogy about Thomas Cromwell, and Sharon K. Penman has several series worth dipping in.  Check it out!

20 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Was also introduced to historical fiction, which has many great reads.  Hilary Mantel and her trilogy about Thomas Cromwell, and Sharon K. Penman has several series worth dipping in.  Check it out!

Since you like historical fiction, have you read any of CJ Sansom’s books? They’re great, and I especially love the Shardlake series, a series of historical whodunnits set during/around Henry VIII reign. 

Edited by kissdbyfire

Just now, kissdbyfire said:

Since you like historical fiction, have you read any of CJ Sansom’s books? They’re great, and I especially love the Shardlake series, a series of historical whodunnits set during/around Henry the VIII reign. 

No I haven't as I have not heard of this author, thanks for the tip!   :cheers:

3 minutes ago, LongRider said:

No I haven't as I have not heard of this author, thanks for the tip!   :cheers:

He’s great imo, and he’s a historian as well. His books are real page-turners, great characters - Shardlake is excellent! - and dialogue. Hope you enjoy! 

https://www.goodreads.com/series/49599-matthew-shardlake

Edited by kissdbyfire

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

He’s great imo, and he’s a historian as well. His books are real page-turners, great characters - Shardlake is excellent! - and dialogue. Hope you enjoy! 

I've brought up his page from the Book Series in Order site, are these books a series or are they stand alone, or a series where many of the books could stand alone?   I ask because sometimes complete series can be hard to find at my library.  

BookSeriesInOrder.com - Book Series in Order

9 minutes ago, LongRider said:

I've brought up his page from the Book Series in Order site, are these books a series or are they stand alone, or a series where many of the books could stand alone?   I ask because sometimes complete series can be hard to find at my library.  

BookSeriesInOrder.com - Book Series in Order

They’re not really stand alone… I mean, it’s not like ASoIaF where it’s a continuing story. With these each book’s story (a crime that Shardlake ends up in the middle of and has to investigate) has a beginning, middle, and end. But it progresses, so the political/social stuff that’s happening at the time progresses from one book to the next. You see historical figures rise and fall etc, that sort of thing, it follows a chronological order starting with the dissolution of the monasteries in the 16th century where he investigates the murder of someone (can’t remember who exactly) involved in that who was working for Thomas Cromwell. 

On 5/26/2023 at 3:24 PM, Hugorfonics said:

But if you don't mind taking things not so serious then Discworld. Theres like a hundred of them. Light reads, incredibly well written and hilarious.

The most ASOIAF discworld book I have read (haven't read them all) is Night Watch.  I have read that several times, funny and tragic.

On 5/27/2023 at 2:45 PM, kissdbyfire said:

They’re not really stand alone…

Since my library has a few of the Shardlake titles in random order, and I saw on the book series in order website there are two standalone novels, which, miracle, are in the library, I put them on hold.  Why not!

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2023 at 1:33 AM, SeanF said:

The Macht Trilogy, by Paul Kearney, would appeal to readers of ASOIAF, I think.  It’s loosely based upon the Pelopennesian War, the Anabasis, and Alexander’s conquests, in a fantasy setting.

That was a good recommendation.

The Legend of the Galactic Heroes (I know the name is stupid), series is amazing. It's basically A Song of Ice and Fire, only in space, with many POV characters, politics and war. Also there's a lot of grey mortality from many of the main characters.

The Dying Earth series by Jack Vance. A big influence on George, too. It is not a saga itself, but a series of stories interconnected set in an Earth far away in the future, when the sun is dying. Planet is filled with magic stuff, parallel dimensions and science is apparently forgotten or twisted througout the eons. It's got a lot of stuff, to be honest, to dig around. 

I remember trying to read Mazirian the Mage years ago, before I got into ASOIAF, and thought 'what the fuck, this is not the fantasy I was looking for'. Years later, I re-read it again to give it another chance, but this time with a huge hangover and dramatizing it while reading it out loud and it is funny as hell. For example, and recurring to my memory of it since it was years ago, there is a spell that in english would be like 'the black angry could' that mages can conjure to transport themselves quickly to far away places. And it is what it says it is: a furious cloud that comes to you, lifts you up like a piece of cloth and carries you quickly to your chosen location, while beating you around furiously  against the ground, trees and other objects. Reading that part was tough without giggling. I think it was the first tale, named Turjan.

I know this thread is old, but Malazan Book of the Fallen, by Steven Erickson.  It’s a clunkier read than what GRRM puts out and way more heavy handed with Magic.  But it’s got gods and intrigue, combat, many races and storylines if you can get through the beginning it’s really entertaining.  First book is Gardens of the Moon.

I'm enjoying the audio version of The Half-Drowned King by Linnea Hartsuyker. Historical fiction in Viking-era Norway. It's the first in a trilogy called the Golden Wolf Saga. Rich family infighting, romance and political intrigue against a background of raiding and consolidation of an empire out of the lands of petty kings. Lots of details remind me of ASOIAF.