Football: The odds are not even

polishgenius

https://theathletic.com/4520698/2023/05/27/football-gambling-dressing-rooms

The old topic is getting to its retirement age, so I figured I'd kick us off with  the Athletic's report about gambling within football. Paywalled, but well worth reading if you can.

This part leapt out at me in reference to the discussion being had in the last topic about whether it's just Toney who was gambling on football. 

One professional footballer who has had a decade in the English game is prepared to talk about players betting on matches on the condition of anonymity to protect relationships.

“You get guys who will bet on anything,” he tells The Athletic. “They know they are breaking the rules because every club gets (a talk) from the FA at the start of every season. I’ve heard it so many times I could recite what they say. I’m always amazed to see people play with fire by taking the risk of betting on football. It blows my mind because of the consequences if you get caught, but it happens a lot.

“They use friends’ accounts or VPNs to disguise what they are doing or try to get away with it. If that makes them invisible, then what can anyone do? But it’s baffling because anyone who does it knows they are risking their career. It’s a compulsion or an addiction because it’s not as if there aren’t other things to bet on.”

I don't think encouraging a snitch culture will fix the problem. It'll just make the ones breaking the rules hide even more. 

Also this is an insane thing to have to finish the article with. How are you supposed to win this battle with shit like this?

I don’t watch too much WSL, largely because as the standard of women’s football in England has improved in recent years Liverpool haven’t been very good, but we’ve got a chance to deny United a title win on the final day of the season today. That’d be fun.

I've enjoyed the WSL this year. Been to see the Arsenal Ponytails a few times. Really nice atmosphere, and a lovely way to spend a few hours. 

The football is getting better, but quality wise, things are still a bit top-heavy. One look at the league table speaks volumes in this regard. 

Edited by Spockydog

5 minutes ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Borussia Dortmund 0-1 to Mainz, lol

And now a Haller penalty saved. 

ETA: And they nailed on should have had another penalty straight away but not given.

Edited by ljkeane

1 minute ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Why is Bellingham warming the bench?:blink:

He missed last week's game, so I assume he is not at 100%. Not sure, whether he is fit enough to play 45 mins, or 30. But apparenly not for the full 90 mins.