Football: The odds are not even

polishgenius

1 hour ago, Rorschach - 2 said:

(As for Newcastle .. Burn isn't an attacking LB, but he's defensively way more solid than Tierney, so this might signal a shift towards more attacking football?)

If we played a back 5 with Trippier and Tierney as the wing backs I'd be down for trying that. And Burn, Schar and Botman could be a very solid back 3. 

3 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Let's see how much Liverpool ends up paying for MacAllister and how much Real will have to fork over for Bellingham.

Neither player is gonna be particularly cheap (mildly put).

By the sound it of it there was a release clause put into the new contract Mac Allister signed. I doubt Brighton will have put themselves into the position of having to sell him below market value so it’s not going to be cheap but presumably Mac Allister also had an interest in not pricing himself out of a move so it’s probably not exorbitant either (relatively speaking). It does feel like a bit of a safe choice by Liverpool, we’re not finding an undervalued player in the transfer market here, but it’s unlikely to be a bust either.

From Real’s perspective Liverpool dropping out of the race for Bellingham’s a bit of a bonus. He doesn’t seem to want to go to City so they’re pretty much the only option now.

Don't think Liverpool dropping out will affect the transfer fee that much. There wasn't gonna be a  bidding war. Dortmund have evaluation which will have to be met (roughly at least). Whether there were two clubs willing to do that or just one. It will likely be the first 100m+ fee in Bundesliga history (with add ons and bonuses and all that shenanigans). It will undoubtedly increase the likelihood of Bellingham signing for Real significantly.

So fees can (and will) be compared.

Anyway, I know you all are dying for tales from the lower leagues of German football and sport political shenanigans. So here we go.

Regionalliga Nord (fourth tier).

Final Match Day. Relegation Zone.

Bremer SV - Teutonia Ottensen (Hamburg)

We are approaching the HT whistle, Teutonia is up 2-1 in their away game. The Teutonia players left the pitch claiming one of their players suffered racial abuse by an opponent (Bremer SV denies this). Referee didn't hear it. Thus he tried to get the players back on the pitch to finish the match. Teutonia refused.

Long story short, Bremen was awarded a 5-0 win as a result. That had significant impact on the table. For Teutonia it was a dead rubber game, but not for Bremer SV they were thus able to overtake Werder Bremen's u23 (who lost away to Phoenix Lübeck). They are seperated by one point. Thus Werder's u23 was relegated to the fifth tier, and Bremer SV will get to play play-off.

I am not sure what the lesson is there to be honest. Racially abusing your opponent can work out in your favour... Don't abandon the game, unless you have proof.

If you can figure out the lesson, please let me know.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

2 minutes ago, Raja said:

Not sure about Tierney being a good attacking LB, think his strengths are more defensive than anything else.

Eddie turned the worst centre forward in the league into the best midfield enforcer. 

That’s a pretty harsh penalty. If it’d hit his hand on the initial ball in fair enough but on the header back from a yard away as he’s turning around, if that’s deliberate it’s quite impressive.

Oh well, I still want City to lose so an equaliser’s a good thing.

A closer game than I expected it to be.

I still maintain that De Gea is almost as much of a liability as Maguire these days.

The biggest issue, and one which has plagued us all season, was up front. We created some decent opportunities but that final pass/shot was severely lacking as usual.

Overall, Ten Hag's first season has been a decent one especially considering the shit show he walked into and Ronaldo trying his best to undermine him during the first half of the season.

For those who are watching the German Cup Final, and were wondering of the minute of silence before kick off, the story is really sad and depressing, it was in the German media this week.

Last week there was an international youth tournament in Frankfurt. Among the participants was a team from Berlin and one from France. Not one of the major clubs, really just a youth tournament. The two teams played each other. Then the French player got mad about something, he attacked the Berlin player took a few swings at him, got him in a headlock. The Berlin kiddo got out, and walked away. The French guy charged after him and sucker punched him in the back of the head. The guy from Berlin died as a result. Age of the kids, 15 (the dead kid from Berlin) and 16 (the assailant) respectively.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

2 hours ago, Raja said:

Inter you're our only hope

I'd like to ask - does winning the CL mean something for Man City? They are so foreign to me as a club (small wonder, considering I am a foreigner) so I don't know if they would value it? It's like playing with cheat codes on easy mode. 

Unlimited resources in every area of the field plus the bench vs Inter's team full of free signings, humble hard workers and veterans. The more I think about how that game will look, the more I realize how small Inter's chances are. 

1 hour ago, The Sunland Lord said:

I'd like to ask - does winning the CL mean something for Man City? They are so foreign to me as a club (small wonder, considering I am a foreigner) so I don't know if they would value it? It's like playing with cheat codes on easy mode. 

Unlimited resources in every area of the field plus the bench vs Inter's team full of free signings, humble hard workers and veterans. The more I think about how that game will look, the more I realize how small Inter's chances are. 

I would say yes because it's been elusive for a few years now and they never won it. (The club won the European Cup Winner's Cup in '70, their only European trophy) City should have won the CL when they played Chelsea in the final but Guardiola screwed up the game plan. They also floundered against other teams they should have beat like Spurs and Lyon.