Watch, Watched, Watching: Start another thread already

TheLastWolf

Judging by the seat selection the local theatre options for Across the Spider-verse is more packed that anything I've ever checked for opening day in the last ten years.  Shocking because The Force Awakens opening night was quite empty.  This is too packed for my comfort, I'll have to see it another time.

Edited by SpaceChampion

I mean, the first movie was fucking awesome. It was not just a good cartoon, or a good comic adaptation, or a good superhero movie - it was a great fucking movie. I get how people are lining up for this. 

Ah Ha!  That last episode of White House Plumbers makes clear the point of making this program.  It's the parallels and even the language, and also including Liddy's neo-nazi leanings, that "We did it for the President, that we believed our actions were directed and approved by the highest officials, by Nixon himself," it's all the same as what we've seen and heard from the insurrectionists and attackers of the Capitol and those within it.  In the meantime the burglars and Liddy and Hunt are taking the fall for those same people -- who cut deals, while they are in prison.  The true nazi stays true, but Hunt finally sees the light.

These are the take aways we are supposed to have.  Or something like that.  Well, it worked for me, but not until this last episode does one get it.  Or at least me get it.  I feel now it was worth my investment of the time to watch the 5 episodes. 

Though we are indeed left hanging regarding the Kennedy assassination -- and particularly, what happened to Hunt's youngest son, taken away by the mafia?

Episode 5 and 6 of Silo have picked up, but I still find my interest waning a bit.

ETA: Although the final scene was a nice reveal.

Spoiler

Also, they clearly don't know what ducks are. Or stars, as we already know. It seems they only get fed the information they need to function in the silo, nothing beyond.

They might be in Georgia, although ofc a Georgia travel guide could have been studied anywhere in the world.

Gloria from episode 1 is George's aunt.

The judge seems upset. Maybe she's just a figurehead for whoever runs the whole show. Simms? (I'm starting to think it may be a super computer, maybe even just malfunctioning to the point it was never intended to work?)

Double the darn flowers in the mirror, Jules! Whatever that means! Are the cameras hidden in there and more flowers are meant to hide the view?

Also, there must be something in George's file that she overlooked, why else would Holsten have left it for her?

Future Husband aka cafeteria guy and Jules are practically engaged... er... sanctioned already.

If those semi-public radio conversations aren't recorded/ listened in to, I'll be very surprised.

I wonder what's the deal with Walker, her ex, and why she never leaves her workshop.

OK, maybe I am still intrigued.

Edited by Mindwalker

The best thing about the new spiderverse movie is that it will finally teach white people how they're actually supposed to talk about Indian food.

Jokes aside, it's fantastic and I'd probably say better than the first one.

Upon overnight reflection, I now see White House Plumbers as very good, and damme, if not even subtle.  It accomplished fully all the ways in which this early fascist action, we call Watergate, and the people doing it, are mirrored, and not even more extremely, with the neo nazis, white supremacists, racists, bumbling fools, -- see, for instance, George Santos -- who are today running things even more so, with much more power than even in Nixonian era.  Really, why in hell is Santos not even in jail?  Not to mention how prisons are breeding grounds for neo nazi, etc. -- re Liddy leading the cafeteria in Heil and chants of 'nazi nazi nazi' while the Jewish prisoner he assisted getting kosher meals, looks on, puzzled.

There was zero preaching in this series, just a lot of slapstick comedy, yet evil actions are committed and even more evil ones projected, even down to killing each other, with always in the background the hints of the mafia, Cubans + these clowns -- who were all up in Bay of Pigs -- and the Kennedy assassination.

Doffs chapeau in recognition of what the showrunners accomplished!

16 hours ago, Zorral said:

what happened to Hunt's youngest son, taken away by the mafia?

From the LA Times in 2007:

David, the youngest of Hunt’s children with Dorothy and 8 at the time of the break-in, was effectively orphaned when Hunt went to prison in 1973. At his father’s request, lifelong friend William F. Buckley Jr. spirited David from the house to get him away from Lisa and St. John, who, Hunt notes in a posthumous memoir, were furious with their father.

David left his privileged life to spend three years at the crowded Miami home of his Cuban exile godfather. A Bay of Pigs veteran and anti-communist militant, Manuel Artime would take David on gun-running missions to Central America, letting the boy fire pistols with the bodyguards of right-wing dictators the exile visited.

David, now 43, also abused drugs after his mother’s death and the years he spent in the violent milieu of Cuban exile politics. He now sells Jacuzzis at a West L.A. spa shop.

Kevan became a lawyer and has since retired and apparently taken up writing mystery novels as Kevan T. Hunt (her bio and website make no reference to her father). Lisa became an evangelical  Christian and ran an insurance company in Vegas. St. John struggled with drugs, eventually ended up homeless and straightened himself out, worked in elder care and continued to make music, and has written several books about his father pushing  various conspiratorial things that he claims his father confided to him (Lisa Hunt denied it, and Hunt's children by his second wife said that in his last years he had dementia and basically said whatever anyone told him to say, which I take to mean they thought David and others influenced him.)

Recently finished watching Fubar, Schwarzenegger’s new action series on Netflix.  It was better than I expected it to be.  Had a good mixture of action and humor.  The characters were actually dynamic.   

@DMC

Quote function is broken so I'll just tag instead. I really don't think the article treats Lindelof or Cuse unfairly, there is a significant section that talks about both Cuse & Lindelof that generally starts from the paragraph where she writes 'I've had two conversations with Lindelof regarding the book' - is it less than the amount of time given to the victims in the piece? Of course, but it's not burying the lede given that the newsworthy aspect of the story is the culture described by the victims and their experiences - the response by Cuse & Lindelof is obviously important - and that gets a signfiicant section in the latter half!

I also think things like the perceived 'slant' of the article etc is really a sideshow in this case compared to the environment that Lindelof & Cuse created.

Edited by Raja

4 hours ago, Raja said:

I also think things like the perceived 'slant' of the article etc is really a sideshow in this case compared to the environment that Lindelof & Cuse created.

I'm obviously biased due to how much that show means to me.  But there's a clear bias on Ryan's part as well.  And that's fine, she's trying to sell books.  The atmosphere described by her and certain writers/contributors should be exposed and talked about.  I just..from my limited experience this is not something I'm surprised about nor would I castigate Lindelof because some of his staff felt this way.

I've praised this move during previous iterations, but I put it on as background noise while playing Dialbo and was reminded why I love the 1988 remake of The Blob

That movie is fucking disturbing. I love it. 

Edited by RumHam
I love the restraint of that trailer. I don't think the actually show the blob. We've lost so much.

The wife and I went to see Fast X tonight, and managed to produce seats F-9 and F-10 in the cinema, because we are Massive Dorks. Absolutely loved every single second of the movie. It's completely preposterous and over the top and now the missus wants a rewatch - which is magic to my ears. 

There's also an easter egg that suggests (as I have long hoped) the F&F movies are set in the same universe as the Mission: Impossible movies, as they share the same actor - Bosnian-American actor Miraj Grbic (Bogdan from Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol). 

Composer Brian Tyler continues doing competent work for this series, and weaves in themes from across the series to date, including references to 'Neela Drifts' and 'This is My Tokyo' from The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, both in reference to Sung Kang's character of Han Seoul-oh*. 

The movie oddly suffers from some of the same issues that haunted Spectre's final act, which frustrated me, whilst also having an almost Avengers: Infinity War style cliff-hanger. It'll be interesting to see what writers Gary Scott Thompson, Dan Mazeau, and Justin Lin, bring in for the series finale, which is now expected to involve 2 more movies instead of 1. 

It's goofy, dumb, funny, over the top silliness, and everyone is a delight to watch, especially John Cena, who is clearly having a good time making these movies and bounces off well against Leo Abelo Perry (Little Brian).

* Yes, really. That's actually the character's surname.

Edited by IlyaP

3 hours ago, IlyaP said:

The wife and I went to see Fast X tonight, and managed to produce seats F-9 and F-10 in the cinema, because we are Massive Dorks. Absolutely loved every single second of the movie. It's completely preposterous and over the top and now the missus wants a rewatch - which is magic to my ears. 

There's also an easter egg that suggests (as I have long hoped) the F&F movies are set in the same universe as the Mission: Impossible movies, as they share the same actor - Bosnian-American actor Miraj Grbic (Bogdan from Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol). 

Composer Brian Tyler continues doing competent work for this series, and weaves in themes from across the series to date, including references to 'Neela Drifts' and 'This is My Tokyo' from The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, both in reference to Sung Kang's character of Han Seoul-oh*. 

The movie oddly suffers from some of the same issues that haunted Spectre's final act, which frustrated me, whilst also having an almost Avengers: Infinity War style cliff-hanger. It'll be interesting to see what writers Gary Scott Thompson, Dan Mazeau, and Justin Lin, bring in for the series finale, which is now expected to involve 2 more movies instead of 1. 

It's goofy, dumb, funny, over the top silliness, and everyone is a delight to watch, especially John Cena, who is clearly having a good time making these movies and bounces off well against Leo Abelo Perry (Little Brian).

* Yes, really. That's actually the character's surname.

Did they go to space in F8 or F9? That's the last one I saw, I think. When Ludacris and Roman went to space? Asking because I'm not sure if I'm caught up on the lore to see this one... 

Meanwhile, my favorite will always be the 1st one... when they're stealing goddamn DVD players. 

25 minutes ago, Secretary of Eumenes said:

Did they go to space in F8 or F9? That's the last one I saw, I think. When Ludacris and Roman went to space? Asking because I'm not sure if I'm caught up on the lore to see this one... 

Meanwhile, my favorite will always be the 1st one... when they're stealing goddamn DVD players. 

VCRs too. At least the Ex Presidents robbed banks. Point Break is better than this ripoff franchise (although a few of the movies in it are dumb fun as well). 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

VCRs too. At least the Ex Presidents robbed banks. Point Break is better than this ripoff franchise (although a few of the movies in it are dumb fun as well). 

Never seen Point Break, but I did just get an overwhelming urge to watch Sugar and Spice for the first time in twenty years... 

"Sometimes when they take a gun off a corpse some rounds get left in the clip..." 

[Guy pops beer] "Christ on a cracker!"