Watch, Watched, Watching: Start another thread already

TheLastWolf

I watched the most recent episode of Alone.  One of the lessons was never to forget your orange paracord to mark the trail that you are blazing.  Also, the footage of the geese migration was really cool.

I also watched Blackadder: A Cunning Story.  I've always heard good things about Blackadder but had never watched a full episode, so now I'm binge-watching the whole series.

2 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I watched the most recent episode of Alone.  One of the lessons was never to forget your orange paracord to mark the trail that you are blazing.  Also, the footage of the geese migration was really cool.

I also watched Blackadder: A Cunning Story.  I've always heard good things about Blackadder but had never watched a full episode, so now I'm binge-watching the whole series.

Season 1 of Blackadder is the weakest. 

16 minutes ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Season 1 of Blackadder is the weakest. 

I really like season one but it’s almost an entirely different show. The other seasons feel of a whole and season one is it’s own thing, much darker and probably less funny, but still good.

I think Ben Elton came onboard for season 2 which is why it changes a bit.

Still think it’s probably the greatest comedy show of all time. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I really like season one but it’s almost an entirely different show. The other seasons feel of a whole and season one is it’s own thing, much darker and probably less funny, but still good.

I watched season 1 last, and only brcause I got thr vhs for Xmas 1998. The last episode was probably the best of that season. The Christmas Carol was really good. The Milleniim special not so much

15 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I just finished the season. Mixed bag overall. I thought the Aaron Paul episode “Beyond the Sea” was by far the best. The paparazzi episode was all kinds of terrible. Didn’t even really feel like Black Mirror.

Really? I felt Annie is the Worst was definitely the strongest by far. Particularly timely too.

I didn't really see how about half were "Black Mirror" episodes with scant technology as part of the story (the paparazzi, demon 79, and loch Henry). We mostly enjoyed anyway but they seemed like from another anthology show.

The final season of Endeavour began this weekend (3 episodes) on Masterpiece. I feel more obligated to, than wanting to watch. So, why am I watching? Dependably non-grisly, mild entertainment, I guess.  :dunno: Always enthusiastic to see Roger Allam! And Anton Lesser! They are far, far, and far away the real reason I watch/ed this series.

There is like a 30 minute action sequence in Extraction 2 which is one of the most nuts, nail biting bit of escalation of violence and tension I’ve seen! Not sure I loved the first one but that sequence fucking great. No wonder this is done by the guy who does the stunts in Russo Bros movies.

3 hours ago, Week said:

Really? I felt Annie is the Worst was definitely the strongest by far. Particularly timely too.

I didn't really see how about half were "Black Mirror" episodes with scant technology as part of the story (the paparazzi, demon 79, and loch Henry). We mostly enjoyed anyway but they seemed like from another anthology show.

Joan is Awful was fun, but I tend to like the heavier episodes the best (Entire History of YouSan Junipero, etc). 

Yeah, there were a few this season that kind of felt like another series tbh, but I at least enjoyed those other two. 

19 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I just finished the season. Mixed bag overall. I thought the Aaron Paul episode “Beyond the Sea” was by far the best. The paparazzi episode was all kinds of terrible. Didn’t even really feel like Black Mirror.

Spoiler

No, Beyond the Sea  was overlong, badly paced and very predictable, just the weakest entry in the series. Mazey Day (the paparrazzi ep) was fast paced, well acted, funny and clever.

Loch Henry was also disappointing: fundamentally I felt it wasn't clear on its point, and that was the one that barely felt like a Black Mirror story at all.

Joan is Awful was good fun but Demon 79 was the best by far.

1 minute ago, mormont said:
  Hide contents

No, Beyond the Sea  was overlong, badly paced and very predictable, just the weakest entry in the series. Mazey Day (the paparrazzi ep) was fast paced, well acted, funny and clever.

Loch Henry was also disappointing: fundamentally I felt it wasn't clear on its point, and that was the one that barely felt like a Black Mirror story at all.

Joan is Awful was good fun but Demon 79 was the best by far.

Couldn’t disagree more.

I found nothing particularly special about Zazie Beetz performance. And the 

Spoiler

Werewolf scenes looked completely awful. It took me right out of the episode. 

Well, mileage can vary.

Spoiler

But while Mazey Day's take on the paparazzi/celebrity relationship isn't the most original or subtle, at least it has a point to make. Beyond the Sea, meanwhile, has no wider point to make, and spends twice as long as Mazey Day not making it. The ending is unearned and feels gratuitous, and yet it's obvious from the first time the offer of switching bodies is made. It's the only way the story can go from there, and indeed, it goes there. Add in some caricature evil hippies, the one-line handwave of the major plot difficulty (why do the real bodies have to be in the ship? They just do, OK?) and it's just... not good. Not awful, but in the bottom rank of things Black Mirror has done, for sure.

There is like a 30 minute action sequence in Extraction 2 which is one of the most nuts, nail biting bit of escalation of violence and tension I’ve seen! Not sure I loved the first one but that sequence fucking great. No wonder this is done by the guy who does the stunts in Russo Bros movies.

I liked this better than the original.  

Spoiler

Assuming the building battle is what you mean, and yeah it was long and yet didn't feel too long

If we do get Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold into a movie as recently announced, and if it is successful enough to adapt his other books, then I hope some of those POV switch action sequences from The Heroes and later books get the Extraction 2 treatment. That whole prison & train sequence was the highlight of the movie, balls to wall. The rest of the movie was fine, the second half having another solid action sequence, and the story is as straightforward as the first one. 

Spoiler

It is somewhat unbelievable that a Georgian cult-like gang was able to mobilize itself within hours and somehow make it all the way to Austria. I'm sure they bribed some people, but out of the entire story, that part actually felt rushed. 

18 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I thought season 1 was very funny. But it was darker, and the characters (Blackadder and Baldrick) were very different.

Blackadder became a much cooler character after season 1.

But on the other hand, I feel like the  switcheroo of Blackadder's and Baldrick's IQs after season 1 feels like a classist stereotype.

Edited by Annara Snow

17 minutes ago, Annara Snow said:

I thought season 1 was very funny. But it was darker, and the characters (Blackadder and Baldrick) were very different.

Blackadder became a much cooler character after season 1.

But on the other hand, I feel like I prefered medieval Baldrick being smarter than medieval Blackadder. The switcheroo of their IQs after season 1 feels like a classist stereotype.

I get the sense that season 2 onwards of Blackadder is much more influenced by something like the Flashman papers (to the point where Captain Flashheart is a character in 2 seasons), and Blackadder becomes this sort of sly cad who is clearly a total shit and a coward, but still has some worthwhile qualities that make you endear yourself to him. Season one Blackadder is much more of a snivelling loser, and I don't see how a continuation of that character could have lasted multiple seasons. 

Having said that, switching Baldrick's IQ does tend to illustrate how hierarchies were viewed in each age, so it kind of works.

Edited by Heartofice

I get the sense that season 2 onwards of Blackadder is much more influenced by something like the Flashman papers (to the point where Captain Flashheart is a character in 2 seasons), and Blackadder becomes this sort of sly cad who is clearly a total shit and a coward, but still has some worthwhile qualities that make you endear yourself to him. Season one Blackadder is much more of a snivelling loser, and I don't see how a continuation of that character could have lasted multiple seasons. 

Having said that, switching Baldrick's IQ does tend to illustrate how hierarchies were viewed in each age, so it kind of works.

The difference between the Blackadders is interesting. Even leaving 1 aside.

The 2nd is more reactive, basically after good times and a quiet life, while trying to survive thr queen’s mercurial moods.

The 3rd is the most proactively ‘evil’, actively plotting to gain power.

The 4th is more like the 2nd, really just trying to keep his head down and survive the war and his own general.