US politics - wheeling and dealing, avoiding debt ceiling

8 minutes ago, Zorral said:

'“Americans are losing hold of a fundamental right as citizens of a free country: the right to speak their minds and voice their opinions in public without fear of being shamed or shunned,” the New York Times declared in the first sentence of a March 2022 editorial.

In reality, there has never been a right to voice your opinion without the possibility of being shamed or shunned (terms without precise meanings) — and there shouldn’t be. Shaming and shunning people are free expression, too. What I suspect this editorial was actually calling for is for self-described Democrats and liberals to be able to express more conservative views (such as skepticism about transgender rights) but without being attacked in the way that conservatives often are for such views (being called bigots)."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/06/06/anti-woke-centrism-cnn-chris-licht-atlantic-profile/

I always have to laugh at this shit. It's not like conservatives haven't been silencing and killing people who disagree with them since before the Stone Age. 

Edited by Tywin et al.

57 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Is the “Freedom Caucus” attempting some performative bullshit in the HoR?  I see Boebert and Gaetz all caps typing “WE HOLD THE FLOOR” on twitter.

It's what I was posting about yesterday, with the failed rule vote. They seem to be threatening to keep doing that. Which, if they succeed, is more than performative. It means that House Republican Leadership will not be able to hold any votes on anything else, without either caving to the HFC or cutting a deal with Democrats (which is very unlikely for many reasons, for anything short of ending a shutdown).

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

The need for concern about Cornell West, who has no influential power in the media or politically vs somebody like Licht is light years apart.  One is real, the other is merely performative pearl clutching. Guess which one is which.

'“Americans are losing hold of a fundamental right as citizens of a free country: the right to speak their minds and voice their opinions in public without fear of being shamed or shunned,” the New York Times declared in the first sentence of a March 2022 editorial.

In reality, there has never been a right to voice your opinion without the possibility of being shamed or shunned (terms without precise meanings) — and there shouldn’t be. Shaming and shunning people are free expression, too. What I suspect this editorial was actually calling for is for self-described Democrats and liberals to be able to express more conservative views (such as skepticism about transgender rights) but without being attacked in the way that conservatives often are for such views (being called bigots)."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/06/06/anti-woke-centrism-cnn-chris-licht-atlantic-profile/

Seems that everyone is allowed to voice their opinions unless your opinion is that 'important peoples' opinions are ludicrous bullpoop. 

The new book by the 'political scientist' Patrick J. Deneen proposes to replace the country’s “invasive progressive tyranny” with conservative rule in the name of the “common good".

But ... peacefully, and non-coercively, you know, except when other methods are necessary: a 'muscular aristopopulism' needs "raw assertion of political power".

Let us take a moment, bow our heads, and contemplate just what a raw assertion of political power by an xtian values, pretend US history, political movement involves and the consequences of such.

.... Deneen offers a vague reassurance that the “raw assertion of political power” would somehow be wielded in a “peaceful but vigorous” way, proposing that the number of representatives in the House be expanded to a truly wild 6,000 and pointing to autocratic Hungary’s efforts “to increase family formation and birth rates” as exemplary. He also offers a vague reassurance that the postliberal future will not revive the prejudice and bigotry of the past. His prolix “to be sures” are so conspicuously awkward (“I don’t want to be misunderstood as denying the justified and necessary commitment to racial equality and respect owed toward people who have been historically marginalized and excluded”) that one way to make reading this book less of a slog would be to create a drinking game out of these labored attempts to cover his flank.

But Deenen’s fellow social conservatives can take heart that at least some prejudices — or “customs” — would remain, as Deneen decries what he calls an “effort to displace ‘traditional’ forms of marriage, family and sexual identity based in nature.” Never mind the shoddy thinking that somehow equates pluralism with replacement, as if a same-sex marriage (or, as he puts it, “marriage between two homosexuals”) is something that could “displace” a marriage between a man and a woman. Deneen’s worldview is unrelentingly zero-sum. He says he seeks nothing less than the “renewal of the Christian roots of our civilization.”

... what if you don’t want to live in this regime — one that rejects “democratic pluralism” and sounds suspiciously like a theocracy? Well, that’s too bad for you. “The common good is always either served or undermined by a political order,” Deneen declares toward the end of his book. “There is no neutrality on the matter.” He wants to recreate “the authoritative claims of the village,” but on a national or even international scale — sidestepping the uncomfortable fact that such grand projects have had, to put it mildly, a troubling historical record. He calls on postliberals to aim big, “embracing, fostering and protecting not only the nation but that which is both smaller and larger than the nation.” ....

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/07/books/review/regime-change-patrick-deneen.html

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Which, if they succeed, is more than performative.

Dunno I'd go that far.  All they'd be blocking are messaging bills the leadership wants to pass.  Which, of course is performative and not actual governance either.  If this was happening under unified government it'd be a different story. 

21 hours ago, Quijote Light said:

I lost respect for him when he went on Bill Maher’s show to give him a pass for using the N word. 

Oh dear. Seems he's lost his marbles quite a while ago.

5 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Oh dear. Seems he's lost his marbles quite a while ago.

Didn't everybody -- here at least -- know that for years already?

8 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Didn't everybody -- here at least -- know that for years already?

Maybe but I missed it. Then again, I had not heard from him for a while and I don't watch Maher.

Edited by Mindwalker

Like how McCarthy is throwing Scalise under the bus:

“I don’t run [the floor]. We put different roles out there and the majority leader runs the floor,” McCarthy said, seemingly fingering No. 2 leader STEVE SCALISE for the dustup. “Yesterday was started on something else. It was a conversation that the majority leader had with [Rep. ANDREW] CLYDE, and I think it was a miscalculation or misinterpretation one sent to the other.

1 hour ago, ThinkerX said:

Seems like McCarthy has lost control of the House. Democrats to the rescue...for a price?

'Dysfunction Caucus' effectively shuts down the House – and McCarthy was 'blindsided': report (msn.com)

McCarthy - Wait, wait ... They're eating MY face??

51 minutes ago, DMC said:

Dunno I'd go that far.  All they'd be blocking are messaging bills the leadership wants to pass.  Which, of course is performative and not actual governance either.  If this was happening under unified government it'd be a different story. 

Some of those messaging bills can be legit tough votes for Democrats. Some can even end up as law, like the DC criminal code recission. Biden didn't actually threaten a veto on the gas stove bill in his disapproval message.

22 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

I don't watch Maher.

Neither do I.  But he's sounding off in the media like the NYT, WaPo, etc., frequently, for years and years and years.  He also ran for POTUS last time too, or something like that?  The last time he made any sense was when Henry Louis Gates got arrested for trying to get into his own house coz a crazy white lady neighbor decided he was a gangsta.

Evidently the Mark Meadows part of pleading guilty to some lesser federal felonies is true.

The second part ... it's still that, "we shall see, expect to see, we should expect to see ...."

24 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

It's the typical clickbait bullshit. 

Seems possible though not confirmed. His lawyer denied he'd be pleading guilty but was mum on an immunity deal.